Can't Get Past First Screen When Installing

I have just purchased Bitdefender IS 2015. I removed my previous McAfee, first using the Windows uninstall and then the latest McAfee MCPR.exe. I no longer see anything to do with McAfee in the program list. I then rebooted. I also turned off Windows Defender. I downloaded the offline installer for 64-bit. I have Windows 7 Ultimate.

I clicked the exe file, it unpacked the files and I was presented with a Welcome screen with a Continue button. This was to remove previous anti-virus programs. I clicked the button and nothing happened. Bitdefender closed down and was no longer in the task manager.

I sent a request yesterday to support and received a ticket number, but nothing else, though I sent screenshots and the log.

Ticket number is 2015012916020002.

Please help as I feel very vulnerable and I actually purchased this, not a free trial.

PS. The upload won't let me attach the zipped log or the screenshot.

Comments

• Hi, jacqui, and welcome

1st, re-download the BD offline installer file (just in case something was corrupted there): http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=54672

It sounds like you went through the right steps. I recently bought a computer with McAfee and uninstalled it with the uninstaller, and I seem to recall there being leftover files in the usual suspect places, Program Data/Program Files/App.Data etc. Please confirm those areas, and delete any leftover file that may be found.

Then run CCleaner in Registry mode, and only delete any leftover McAfee (and Bitdefender if any are there) keys. Then also check in (run) REGEDIT and check in Current User, and Local Machine in Software (I even tend to check HKEY_Users/Software, also) and confirm the McAfee keys were deleted. Also run CCleaner in Cleaner mode. Restart your PC

Now right click and Run as Admin, the BD file, and see if you can get past the point of where you were before. If it asks to check for/download the latest files, deny it, and hopefully it will continue to install. You can then manually check for updates later.

See if this works, and let us know your results.

Scott

• Hi Scott,

I'm not sure if I should be deleting what you wrote; it appeared by default.

Thanks for your advice and the welcome. I did download it twice, to no avail. Support got back to me. First time to tell me that I had Trusteer active; so I disabled that, but still it didn't work. Now I received from Support a zip of the installer and everything has gone smoothly.

The reason I moved to Bitdefender was that McAfee was taking up so much of my resources that my PC started crawling, especially when I needed to use software with heavy resources. Also, it wouldn't scan when the machine was idle, so that meant it was always running a full scan when I needed to work. Hopefully, Bitdefender will be leaner.

Cheers,

Jacqui

===

Hi, jacqui, and welcome

1st, re-download the BD offline installer file (just in case something was corrupted there): http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=54672

It sounds like you went through the right steps. I recently bought a computer with McAfee and uninstalled it with the uninstaller, and I seem to recall there being leftover files in the usual suspect places, Program Data/Program Files/App.Data etc. Please confirm those areas, and delete any leftover file that may be found.

Then run CCleaner in Registry mode, and only delete any leftover McAfee (and Bitdefender if any are there) keys. Then also check in (run) REGEDIT and check in Current User, and Local Machine in Software (I even tend to check HKEY_Users/Software, also) and confirm the McAfee keys were deleted. Also run CCleaner in Cleaner mode. Restart your PC

Now right click and Run as Admin, the BD file, and see if you can get past the point of where you were before. If it asks to check for/download the latest files, deny it, and hopefully it will continue to install. You can then manually check for updates later.

See if this works, and let us know your results.

Scott

• Hello Jacqui,

Thank you for posting back your results.

Glad to know that the issue is resolved. I will close this topic, but should you have any further issue with Bitdefender contact us via:

https://www.facebook.com/bitdefender/app_268724459959771

We will be happy to help you.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.