Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

What Is Elevation Helper?

Options

I have twice recently had my Windows 7 screen go dark and been presented with a window asking me if I will allow "Elevation Helper" to make changes to my Hard Drive. It claims that the source of the programme is Bitdefender SRL. I am using Bitdefender Antivirus 2015.

Is this a legitimate element of Bitdefender or not? So far I have not agreed to any changes with this "Elevation Helper".

Comments

• I have twice recently had my Windows 7 screen go dark and been presented with a window asking me if I will allow "Elevation Helper" to make changes to my Hard Drive. It claims that the source of the programme is Bitdefender SRL. I am using Bitdefender Antivirus 2015.

Is this a legitimate element of Bitdefender or not? So far I have not agreed to any changes with this "Elevation Helper".

I am also interested in this. I am new to Bitdefender and just received the same message today. So far I'm ignoring it because I cannot find any valid reference online that this is indeed part of the Bitdefender 2015. Are there any news?

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have twice recently had my Windows 7 screen go dark and been presented with a window asking me if I will allow "Elevation Helper" to make changes to my Hard Drive. It claims that the source of the programme is Bitdefender SRL. I am using Bitdefender Antivirus 2015.

From what I understand Elevation Helper is Windows Live Toolbar. Its file is "wituser.exe"

The wltuser.exe process is an executable file of the Windows Live Toolbar User Elevation Helper from company Microsoft Corporation. It is used to help users find stuff on the Internet faster and more securely.

Not sure how making changes to a hard disk drive is going to speed up searching on the Internet. It could be your computer has been hit with ransomware and clicking yes will encrypt your entire hard disk drive. The first thing I would do is use a good search tool to search the system for "Wituser.exe" You could also use a good Toolbar and Junkware cleaner to see if it turns up Elevation Helper. You might also want to check Internet Explorer to see if you can find it there I believe under Tools etc. I don't use IE that much so I can not tell you excactly where to look under Tools.

If I was in your position I would not click to allow it make any changes to your compute hard disk drive until you are absolutely sure it is not ransomware or some other form of malware. Even then you may want to uninstall it using a Toolbar and Junkware uninstall tool.

For what it is worth I searched my W7-SP1 and W8.1 computers for "wituser.exe" and the searches came up empty.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi. I found this link when researching wituser.exe : http://www.file.net/process/wltuser.exe.html

Pay close attention to the information at the bottom of the article, and confirm the location of the wituser.exe file. It could possibly be malware.

Personally, I wouldn't want that thing on my computer and I would uninstall it.

Just my two cents. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Hi. I found this link when researching wituser.exe : http://www.file.net/process/wltuser.exe.html

Pay close attention to the information at the bottom of the article, and confirm the location of the wituser.exe file. It could possibly be malware.

Personally, I wouldn't want that thing on my computer and I would uninstall it.

Just my two cents. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

your link is for the WLTUSER.EXE file... not the WITUSER.EXE file it is hard to see but they are not the same

• couragefarms@reagan.com
    Options

the question of... what is Elevation Helper ?...has still not been answered...

I just got the same message and have attached a picture of it...

post-195837-1445625186_thumb.jpg

• quote name='FarmerJay' date='Oct 23 2015, 12:28 PM' post='239413']

the question of... what is Elevation Helper ?...has still not been answered...

I just got the same message and have attached a picture of it...

try again with the picture post-195837-1445625031_thumb.jpg

• couragefarms@reagan.com
    Options

from quick searching apparently there are two different "elevation helper"s from two different sources

1. the WLTUSER.EXE which is in Windows Live toolbar...hence the WLT...and that is another issue all together and that does not fit this question

2. what we are asking about here is most likely the BDELEV.DLL which would be the BitDefender elevation helper...and this is a .dll file dynamic link library not an .exe executable file

it is loaded within the BitDefender process.

http://www.boostbyreason.com/resource-file...bdelev-dll.aspx

I did click no when it came up because it seemed new to me, but that may not be the case as I usually give BD permission to do what it needs to do because I trust it. But I have user controls on because I want to be aware of anything happening. So I may have seen it before. I will keep an eye out for it again and note what is happening at the time to see if that explains it better as to what BD is monitoring.

It would still be good if someone could tell us what it actually does.

I am using BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2015

• From what I understand Elevation Helper is Windows Live Toolbar. Its file is "wituser.exe"

The wltuser.exe process is an executable file of the Windows Live Toolbar User Elevation Helper from company Microsoft Corporation. It is used to help users find stuff on the Internet faster and more securely.

Not sure how making changes to a hard disk drive is going to speed up searching on the Internet. It could be your computer has been hit with ransomware and clicking yes will encrypt your entire hard disk drive. The first thing I would do is use a good search tool to search the system for "Wituser.exe" You could also use a good Toolbar and Junkware cleaner to see if it turns up Elevation Helper. You might also want to check Internet Explorer to see if you can find it there I believe under Tools etc. I don't use IE that much so I can not tell you excactly where to look under Tools.

If I was in your position I would not click to allow it make any changes to your compute hard disk drive until you are absolutely sure it is not ransomware or some other form of malware. Even then you may want to uninstall it using a Toolbar and Junkware uninstall tool.

For what it is worth I searched my W7-SP1 and W8.1 computers for "wituser.exe" and the searches came up empty.

there is confusion in this thread.... WLTUSER.EXE file... and... WITUSER.EXE file it is hard to see but they are not the same

• I also have been recently getting this "Elevation Helper" install pop-up similar to FarmerJay and the OP.

Not sure exactly when it started happening but its worrying since I originally installed this "Bitdefender Total Security 2015 " around a year ago.

What's more worrying however is the absence of an explanation about this or merely a response from Bitdefender to a post like this!

I don't see myself continuing with this product/company when issues like this happen!

• I have had this product for years and like it very much. I believe it to be trustworthy.

I have my user controls set so that I get notified when any program wants to do something. This one may have come up before as I usually just click yes for BD, but it seemed new at the moment so I wanted to see what it was. Searching only brought me here and the responders were confusing it with files associated with Windows Live which I do not have.

I don't know if BD monitors this forum or it is basically a self help group like a lot of them are. Since our questions are recent...I just now opened a help ticket with Support including a screenshot of the alert and asked for clarification. I have gotten good responses from them before. Will post here with any new information.