Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender & Pcanywhere Setup

Options

I've just spend all day trying to get Bitdefender Total Internet Security 2008 configured to work with pcAnywhere. I previously used another Security program and it worked perfectly so I know it's not the pcAnwhere configuration. I have a desktop PC behind a router and a laptop for remote access both are running XP Pro SP3, Windows Firewall is switched off & am using the Bitdefender Firewall. I've added pcAnywhere to my allowed programs with "Any" etc set to allowed on both desktop and laptop. I've been hunting high and low for a guide - found the Bitdefender guide which is way over my head and some other web page that had Bitdefender Antivirus 2008 setup instructions, which are completely different. Any help greatly appreciated! I don't want to use the Windows XP Remote Desktop setup if I can help it! (noticed that this was a suggestion on another forum) thanks in advance.

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

What error do you get ?!

• Darron
    Options
    What error do you get ?!

Thanks for your response

The error I get in pcAnwhere is "pcAnywhere No Connection, Unable to attach to specified device, Connect. PcAnywhere no connection"

Not sure if this is relevant but the log in Bitdefender is a mess;

Denied ICMP packet, Application Error, User Buffer too small, Various IP's have successfully connected (none of which I know & from a quick IP scan look from overseas), Denied Invalid IP Packets etc etc.

• Niels
    Options

Hello Darron,

Open BitDefender by right clicking on the red BitDefender icon near the system clock (system tray) press on open advanced settings now navigate to the firewall section.Make 2 new rules in the traffic section of the firewall. Check the box apply this rule for all applications. Press on advanced now by source address select host now enter the ip-address of your computer to obtain that press the windows button together with r now type cmd press enter after that type ipconfig /all write down what is written after ip-address fill it in. By ports select specific. Now type 5631 (If you are using pcanywhere 10.0, 10.5, 11.0, 11.5, 12.0) Now go to the destination address section and select host and enter the ip-adress of the laptop or desktop. Again by ports select specific and type also 5631. By network events select connections and traffic. Press on ok. Now you will be back on the screen where I suggested that you pressed on the advanced button select TCP and by action select allow and press on add. Now create a new rule again but enter 5632 as port. But now you need to select udp by select protocol allow it and press on add.Try to disable the stealth mode once you are in the firewall section go to the advanced tab and uncheck stealth mode. Once you are in the traffic section of the firewall press on edit profile. Now select the rules that you created and press on the up arrow till these rules are on top.

Best regards,

Niels

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited June 2008
    Options

Let's try something !

Downlod the Total Internet Security 2008 intalation kit && the uninstall tool from the BD site ! ( http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Downloads/ && http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB333-en--How-to...itDefender.html )

Un plug your internet cable !

Use the tool to remove BD.

And after that reboot and install it !

Plug in the network cable !

Make your firewall settings and try again pcAnwhere if it's workin' !

;)

• Darron
    Options
    Thanks for your response

The error I get in pcAnwhere is "pcAnywhere No Connection, Unable to attach to specified device, Connect. PcAnywhere no connection"

Not sure if this is relevant but the log in Bitdefender is a mess;

Denied ICMP packet, Application Error, User Buffer too small, Various IP's have successfully connected (none of which I know & from a quick IP scan look from overseas), Denied Invalid IP Packets etc etc.

Thanks for the response Niels - all good down to the selecting specific ports - these boxes are both greyed out. Also the IP address for the remote laptop is dynamically assigned - I sort of thought that putting this in the destination address would not work for long??

• Darron
    Options
    Let's try something !

Downlod the Total Internet Security 2008 intalation kit && the uninstall tool from the BD site ! ( http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Downloads/ && http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB333-en--How-to...itDefender.html )

Un plug your internet cable !

Use the tool to remove BD.

And after that reboot and install it !

Plug in the network cable !

Make your firewall settings and try again pcAnwhere if it's workin' !

;)

Thanks Crysty - followed as above but no joy. Sincere thanks though. Darron

• Niels
    Options

Hello Darron,

When you went to the traffic section of the firewall and pressed on the add button did you select by protocol tcp? Sorry I see that forget to say that you had to do that first.Check the box apply this rule for all applications. Now press on advanced. If you are in local (wireless) network. Select by source and destination address local network and add the ports. If you have a wireless network you need also to go to the zones tab you may not find and untrusted network. Create a new zone by pressing on the add button. Select the option search on local network. Choose trusted and press on ok.

What was the result if you disabled stealth mode?

Best regards

Niels