Numerous Issues After Installation

Gakusei
edited May 2015 in Install & register

I am having numerous issues with BitDefender Total Security 2015. Issue 1 -– Almost every website is blocked, including half of BitDefender’s own website! This also includes Google.com, searches via the search bar in the browser, direct website access, etc etc. Issue 2 - BitDefender’s online antivirus scanner does nothing. I click “scan now” and the page refreshes, but that’s it. Issue 3 - I am unable to submit a ticket. The submission just hangs for half an hour before I gave up. Issue 4 -– The control panel does absolutely nothing. The options are blank and the commands don’t do anything when you click on them. Issue 5 –- Windows says that BitDefender is not running. When I tell it to turn it on, the processing icon shows for a few seconds then nothing. It still says it is off. However, I know BitDefender is on because it is blocking my web access. Forcing the connection through shows BitDefender is checking links from my search results. Issue 6 -– BitDefender takes an absurd amount of time to launch. My computer boot's up faster than BitDefender will launch after clicking. Sometimes, I can click all I want and nothing will happen. Issue 7 - BitDefender blocks half of bitdefender.com, so my.bitdefender.com in inaccessable unless I force the connection through via IE (impossible to force with Chrome). I find this hilarious that it blocks it's own site.

Other issues I have experienced… After installing for the first time, the program would not take my license key. At first it wouldn’t do anything at all. My system was also extremely unresponsive. I finally had to do a hard shut down. Restarting did nothing and had the same unresponsiveness. I was at least able to input the license, which failed by stating “This license is not for the installed program”. I restarted again. Now it stated “This license is invalid.” I got mad, spammed the code, and then got “This license is already used and cannot be used again.” Then the registration closed and when I restarted again the program finally showed as registered and the license stuck. However, the system was still extremely unresponsive and doing any of this took a long while.

Now with the program registered, I found that, again, the program didn’t do anything at all. So I restarted in safe mode, but that didn’t do anything. BitDefender still took nearly a minute to open, only to say it was not operational. Restarting the system again caused a crash at the boot manager level. After running Windows 7 Repair via the installation disk, I was able to get back into my desktop. For the most part (but not completely), the performance issues subsided, but BitDefender is still taking nearly a full minute to launch. As I have mentioned above, when it does finally launch it is absolutely worthless. Closing it and relaunching it has no performance gains – it will take nearly a minute to load regardless.

Thoughts? I plan on trying to uninstall and reinstall when I get home, but I'm not sure I even want to try that if it's going to break my boot loader again.

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of your issues. I have been running BD2015TS for as long as it has been out, and BD2014TS before that. I have never seen the issues you have described on any other three computers on which I have BD2015TS installed. I have also never seen such behaviour on other computers of friends on whose computers I generally install BD2015 Internet Security. In fact, I just did an install for a friend two days ago.

It sounds to me like the install is corrupted. It is essential that you remove all remnants of all anti-virus (including BD) applications and anti-malware apps. and reboot your computer before installing BD.

There is a repair option, but given the scope of the issues you are experiencing, I would recommend a complete clean uninstall, using the BD 2015 Removal Tool, and then reboot, cold boot preferably. BD does scan for remnants of other apps that might conflict, but I would doubt that the scan is 100% accurate (no offence, Georgia).

Let us know how you make out, and good luck. Just a home user.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• I am having numerous issues with BitDefender Total Security 2015.

Hi Gakusei,

Welcome on the forum,

Follow Phil Campbell's advices.

Besides, I could give you a few tips.

Please put information on your system in your signature or your profile. You have W7, what else?

Didn't you have before alarms on malwares on your system or previous BSOD?

Check if you have a safe system, analyse it: (link below)

BD rescue disk

Is your windows system healthy?. Your latest BSOD does not look good.

Below another link to help you check:

sfc/verify only

(Concerning install key corruption problem, you'll check with a BD admin as soon as your system is stable.)

Good luck,

:)

L.

• Gakusei
    edited May 2015

Hello everyone and thank you for the reply. I'm still not sure where things went wrong, as it showed as having finished the install. It does appear that it was a corrupt installation, but I'm not sure why it affected all the systems that it did. Despite being 'installed', BitDefender didn't show in the add/remove programs section. As Phil suggested, I used the BD 2015 Removal Tool. Took a while, but it worked. I was very hesitant to try to re-install it, but the second time around was smooth as butter. Apparently, all the websites were blocked because of an issue with not having the security certificates or whatever due to the bad installation. I've never had anything like this happen before, at least not with this kind of severity and the issues experienced, with any software. Not going to blame anything other than some weird thing that did something even weirder that caused much frustration. Heck, for all I know it was the boot manager that was on it's last leg and this was the tipping point. Also, the license key registered the first time around after the re-installation and I was able to fully register this time around, so all is good.

Lionet - Interesting enough, there was no BSOD. Just... slow and then boom - boot manager issues. Probably no point now since everything is working, but system info is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, 32 GB of DDR3 RAM, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, and Intel 4670K at 3.4 GHz (no OC at this time).

Phil - Thank you Phil, it was a pain trying to get to the complete uninstall BitDefender has on their website due to certificate issues but I was able to work around and get it done. As I said previously, it took a while but it did the job. Reinstalling was a breeze despite my hesitations.

I picked BitDefender because it was universally hailed as the best or nearly the best by every place I could find (Tom's Guide, PC Mag, etc). Now that it's installed and working properly (as far as I can tell, the scan went smooth as well) it seems to run well in the background with no performance issues, I am content to keep it.

There is a major plus side to all this - a learning experience. A frustrating one, but one non-the-less.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

Gakusei:

I am glad that you got your problems sorted out. Happy to be of some assistance. Thank you for reporting back and letting us know how you made out.

I am really happy with my Bitdefender and consistently recommend it, though the Tech Support could be a bit faster and better. That is my only criticism, other than the ongoing SSL scanning issue.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor