Squeezeplay

On my network, I have a machine running Logitech Media Server; a squeezebox. I am trying out Bitdefender Antivirus Free 1.0.21.1099 on a separate machine (my laptop) and found that when the Virus Shield is active, my desktop application Squeezeplay -- which acts a player for the music server -- can't connect to the squeezebox. (However, the squeezebox can talk to the app.) When I turn Virus Shield off and start squeezeplay, it is able to connect to the server.

Again, the squeezeplay is on my laptop and can't connect to the music server on my internal network (192.168.0.xxx).

How can I get Bitdefender to stop this behavior? I can't find any settings anywhere. I don't understand why virus protection would block an outgoing connection and not report the program (squeezeplay) as a dangerous program somewhere. Why doesn't bitdefender give an indication is blocking the program?

Comments

• I also could not sign on to yahoo messenger with Virus Shield turned on. Why?

• On my network, I have a machine running Logitech Media Server; a squeezebox. I am trying out Bitdefender Antivirus Free 1.0.21.1099 on a separate machine (my laptop) and found that when the Virus Shield is active, my desktop application Squeezeplay -- which acts a player for the music server -- can't connect to the squeezebox. (However, the squeezebox can talk to the app.) When I turn Virus Shield off and start squeezeplay, it is able to connect to the server.

Again, the squeezeplay is on my laptop and can't connect to the music server on my internal network (192.168.0.xxx).

How can I get Bitdefender to stop this behavior? I can't find any settings anywhere. I don't understand why virus protection would block an outgoing connection and not report the program (squeezeplay) as a dangerous program somewhere. Why doesn't bitdefender give an indication is blocking the program?

I also could not sign on to yahoo messenger with Virus Shield turned on. Why?

• Blocking a connection does not mean the program that attempted it is has to be considered malware, otherwise all web browsers would turn out as malware. The only way Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition notifies the user it is blocking a connection is through the interface of the web browser that originates it, usually with a warning stating it is dangerous to continue. If the connection result will not be displayed in the interface, no warning would be displayed. However, I think all these block actions are recorded in a log file. There may be aspects within Bitdefender's layers of protection that could interfere with a program's connectivity, but I have no specific knowledge of that.
    • If you cannot find help here for your problem it is probably best you Contact Customer Care.
    • You should also report any false positive or missed detections through the Automatic Sampler Uploader.
  • Thank you, I've submitted this same information through the ticket system.

• I want to put this out here in case anyone else comes along like me, searching the forums and not finding a fix.

Through the ticket system and the support tool they had me download and run and submit, it turns out that I also had McAfee Security Scan Plus installed, and the two were conflicting.

I found this strange because I don't remember installing any McAfee products and none show in my system tray. I removed it and I could connect to SqueezePlay and Messenger normally. Yay, and thank you, Support Team.

A day later, Adobe wanted to install another Flash update and I noticed there was a checkbox to install McAfee Security Scan Plus. A-ha! I must have forgotten to uncheck that once and it installed and remained silent ever since.

• I am glad you posted the solution for your problem. I agree it is a great reference (and warning!). Thank you very much.

• Well, I don't have McAfee, only BitDefender Free, and it is still blocking SqueezePlay on my laptop. :(

What to do?

• What to do?

Hiya,

Please send the details through to Bitdefender using the Sample or URL Submit form.

http://www.bitdefender.com/submit/

Thanks.

Ro.

• Hiya,

Please send the details through to Bitdefender using the Sample or URL Submit form.

http://www.bitdefender.com/submit/

Thanks.

Ro.

Submitted. Thanks!

• Submitted. Thanks!

Just to update this thread: BitDefender's answer was to basically switch to a full-featured paid version of the product, where you can manually set exclusions. Unfortunately, BitDefender Free doesn't offer this flexibility.