Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Is 2015 Goes Into Endless Update Loop, Stalls Other Apps

Options

I'm running the full retail version of BD Internet Security 2015 on Windows 7 x64.

When it runs its automatic update, it keeps going into an endless loop where the Updates Search never completes (I left if for four hours, and it didn't finish!), and in the meantime it prevents any other application from launching -- nothing launches from the Taskbar or the Start Menu, I can't bring up the Task Manager, and even if my e.mail and browser are already open they stop communicating, so that a link in an e.mail will no longer open a webpage. I can launch the Start Menu, but clicking to shut down the PC produces no response.

I'm wondering if BD has dirtied its own nest, and somehow corrupted its database, and that's why the Update doesn't complete. But why does it lock up everything else on my PC, including trying to shut it down? I've had to just switch the power off on my PC, which risks OS corruption and data loss. Rebooting the PC makes everything work again -- until BD tries to update again.

I've read comments on various internet discussion threads that there are many complaints about this happening with BD 2015. Does anyone have a solution? For the moment I've completely removed BD from my PC, and don't want to put it back until this issue is resolved.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Nesivos
    Options
    I'm running the full retail version of BD Internet Security 2015 on Windows 7 x64.

When it runs its automatic update, it keeps going into an endless loop where the Updates Search never completes (I left if for four hours, and it didn't finish!), and in the meantime it prevents any other application from launching -- nothing launches from the Taskbar or the Start Menu, I can't bring up the Task Manager, and even if my e.mail and browser are already open they stop communicating, so that a link in an e.mail will no longer open a webpage. I can launch the Start Menu, but clicking to shut down the PC produces no response.

I'm wondering if BD has dirtied its own nest, and somehow corrupted its database, and that's why the Update doesn't complete. But why does it lock up everything else on my PC, including trying to shut it down? I've had to just switch the power off on my PC, which risks OS corruption and data loss. Rebooting the PC makes everything work again -- until BD tries to update again.

I've read comments on various internet discussion threads that there are many complaints about this happening with BD 2015. Does anyone have a solution? For the moment I've completely removed BD from my PC, and don't want to put it back until this issue is resolved.

Thanks for any help.

No problem here with BDIS 2015 running on W7-SP1 64 bit.

You might try a repair of BDIS. Go to Applications in the Windows Control Panel. Highlight BDIS 2015 Click "uninstall" A GUI will open with two choices. Select "repair." After BDIS 2015 reinstalls itself as part of the repair you will need to reset all your preferences so it is best to jot them down before doing the repair if you are not sure that you will remember them.

• No, been there done that. Also removed and completely re-installed. Problem persists.

Comments on the net suggest the short-term solution is to disable auto-updates. Presumably not everyone has the problem, or BD would have acted on it, so the fact that you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't real.

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited June 2015
    Options
    No, been there done that. Also removed and completely re-installed. Problem persists.

Comments on the net suggest the short-term solution is to disable auto-updates. Presumably not everyone has the problem, or BD would have acted on it, so the fact that you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't real.

I'm wondering if BD has dirtied its own nest, and somehow corrupted its database,

If it was a general problem we would have seen multiple posts on this forum about it and it would have gone to development for research and a fix. ISTM that you could still have some remnants of at least one other antivirus product on your computer that was not fully removed. Using Windows or a generic uninstaller to uninstall an antivirus app is looking for trouble. The only proper way to uninstall an antivirus app is with the uninstall tool created by the antivrus company.

No, been there done that. Also removed and completely re-installed. Problem persists.

P.S. It is always helpful in an OP about a problem to mention all the steps taken to try and ameliorate the problem. It prevents others from making suggeetions on steps that have already been taken by the individual whose computer is having a problem.