Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Rescue Cd Scan Stuck

Options

Hi everyone,

I've recently had an i/o error regarding my hard drive which prevented my computer from booting (not even in safe mode). I learned a virus or malware is capable of infecting the hard drive, and causing this specific issue.

Last Friday night, I booted my computer using the Bitdefender Rescue CD. It has now been almost a week (157 hours to be exact), and the scan is still occurring. Currently, it has scanned 327,035 files.

Unfortunately, it appears the scan is now frozen or stuck on one particular file. I am weary to use the word frozen because the scan elapsed time is still ticking. However, before I went to bed last night, the total scanned items were at 327,035, and when I woke up this morning (8am) and currently (noon), the total scanned files remains the same.

The file name that it is stuck on is Gateway/Windo..5C34C7BC6B48318B2C6535FE63E502.TMP/WiseCustomCalla...

I have a 2011 Gateway Laptop ID59C, 4gb memory, 500 gb hdd, Windows 7.

Any help, feedback, or comments on this issue is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hello chiodos,

This was posted by Georgia for getting out of this rescue mode loop -

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=232736

Hello,

Here is how to exit the Bitdefender Rescue Mode loop.

1) Click the "Disks" icon from the bottom menu.

2) A new window appears. In the upper left corner double click the green "sda1", 2, 3.. etc option (the sda number corresponding to C: \ drive is different for each computer).

3) A new console appears. In the right part of the console search for the entry called "mnt /" and double click it. Go to "Program Files /". Double click on Program Files /.

4) Double-click on "Common Files /" -> then on "Bitdefender /" -> "Bitdefender Threat Scanner /" -> "bdrescue /".

5) Inside the folder "bdrescue /" double-click the file "efi-restore". In the next message confirm the action, then restart the computer normally and you will be able to enter Windows.

If the above steps don't help please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com

• Hello chiodos,

This was posted by Georgia for getting out of this rescue mode loop -

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=232736

Thanks for the reply Rohugh. So does this mean the scan is complete? Or does it just cancel the scan?

I would hate to essentially cancel the scan at this point, given its taken almost a week. Especially since the four infected items haven't been removed either.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    Options

I don't know, I would imagine it just takes you out of the scan. Whatever has happened it shouldn't take a week to complete so perhaps contacting Bitdefender on bitsy@bitdefender.com would be the wisest option for now.

Ro.

• Hi everyone,

I've recently had an i/o error regarding my hard drive which prevented my computer from booting (not even in safe mode). I learned a virus or malware is capable of infecting the hard drive, and causing this specific issue.

Last Friday night, I booted my computer using the Bitdefender Rescue CD. It has now been almost a week (157 hours to be exact), and the scan is still occurring. Currently, it has scanned 327,035 files.

Unfortunately, it appears the scan is now frozen or stuck on one particular file. I am weary to use the word frozen because the scan elapsed time is still ticking. However, before I went to bed last night, the total scanned items were at 327,035, and when I woke up this morning (8am) and currently (noon), the total scanned files remains the same.

The file name that it is stuck on is Gateway/Windo..5C34C7BC6B48318B2C6535FE63E502.TMP/WiseCustomCalla...

I have a 2011 Gateway Laptop ID59C, 4gb memory, 500 gb hdd, Windows 7.

Any help, feedback, or comments on this issue is much appreciated.

Thanks!

PLEASE DISREGARD. The scan is no longer stuck. Apparently, some files take much longer to scan than others? Still is it normal for the overall scan to take this long??

• Lionet
    Options
    PLEASE DISREGARD. The scan is no longer stuck. Apparently, some files take much longer to scan than others? Still is it normal for the overall scan to take this long??

Hi chiodos,

I recently made several scans with cd rescue, it took less than three hours. Not 157 hours.

I suggest you check your system thoroughly first.

It could help...

follow the tips

Regards,

L.

• Hi chiodos,

I recently made several scans with cd rescue, it took less than three hours. Not 157 hours.

I suggest you check your system thoroughly first.

It could help...

follow the tips

Regards,

L.

Thanks for the suggestion, however I am not able to boot my computer in the first place, hence the need for the rescue Cd, and why those tips won't work for me. Definitely appreciate the help though!

• Lionet
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, however I am not able to boot my computer in the first place, hence the need for the rescue Cd, and why those tips won't work for me. Definitely appreciate the help though!

Hi chiodos,

Sorry, I read too fast.

Are you sure a malware is the culprit? I'm not sure.

With an i/o error, the culprit is either a peripheral (so unplug everything one after the other (printer, scan, video, memory bar and so on... and check every step)

If you only have the hard disk and still the problem, you'd better buy another disk.

Is your guarantee over?

A tip, plug your hard disk on another computer (accessories are not too expensive) and analyze it simply as an external drive, provided that the computer has an updated Bitdefender protection. And check if you could save your personal data.

Good luck!

:mellow:

L.