Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Pl Explain Network Type, Stealth Mode, Generic Settings

Options

BD is having some issues in blocking access to home LAN resources (NAS, shared files/printers). To make it work (on Win 7), I have to change the settings under Adapters: Network Type = Trusted.

I don't like changing things without understanding what I'm doing...

Could someone please explain What these settings mean? What changes under the hood? What ports/traffic get blocked?

Network Type: Trusted, Home/Office, Public, Untrusted

Stealth mode: On, Off, Remote

Generic: On, Off

Question: Am I better of using Network Type = Trusted in BD or (temporarily) disabling BD Firewall and using Windows 7 firewall w default settings)?

Comments

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi,

The Application rules and adapter settings are explained here in section 22.2.2 - http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...serGuide_en.pdf

As far as I know that is the only information Bitdefender has released.

Ro.

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited August 2015
    Options
    BD is having some issues in blocking access to home LAN resources (NAS, shared files/printers). To make it work (on Win 7), I have to change the settings under Adapters: Network Type = Trusted.

I don't like changing things without understanding what I'm doing...

Could someone please explain What these settings mean? What changes under the hood? What ports/traffic get blocked?

Network Type: Trusted, Home/Office, Public, Untrusted

Stealth mode: On, Off, Remote

Generic: On, Off

Question: Am I better of using Network Type = Trusted in BD or (temporarily) disabling BD Firewall and using Windows 7 firewall w default settings)?

I have had issues in the past with BDTS changing my Firewall Adapter settings after a reboot. I solved the problem by letting the BD firewall choose the settings and leaving them alaone. I have four desktop PCs running Windows 10 with BDTS and have no problems since I let the BD Firewall do the thinking and left well enough alone. I also set my default profile to agree with BD Firewall Adapter Network setting and made sure that the Windows Firewall Network setting was configured to agree with the BDTS Firewall Network setting. Since that all communication among my four networked computers has worked flawlessly. I do not use a domain so I can't speak to how it would work if your home network was on a domain.

• 59fps
    Options
    I have had issues in the past with BDTS changing my Firewall Adapter settings after a reboot. I solved the problem by letting the BD firewall choose the settings and leaving them alaone. I have four desktop PCs running Windows 10 with BDTS and have no problems since I let the BD Firewall do the thinking and left well enough alone. I also set my default profile to agree with BD Firewall Adapter Network setting and made sure that the Windows Firewall Network setting was configured to agree with the BDTS Firewall Network setting. Since that all communication among my four networked computers has worked flawlessly. I do not use a domain so I can't speak to how it would work if your home network was on a domain.

So does Bitdefender automatically configure itself to work with windows Defender in Windows 10? I'm having problems where Windows Firewall will keep turning itself back on whenever I disable network discovery and file sharing. In Security and Maintenance it says Bitdefender Firewall is on, and Windows Firewall off... however when I go to Windows Firewall in control panel, it states it's on for both public and home networks. If i turn it off, it automatically turns file/printer sharing and network discovery on, and when i disable that it in turn turns Windows Firewall on.

Now generally I've heard that shouldn't run two firewalls at once, what is the best thing to do, and is it ok to run both simaltaneously?

post-193016-1439079206_thumb.png

• 59fps
    Options
    So does Bitdefender automatically configure itself to work with windows Defender in Windows 10? I'm having problems where Windows Firewall will keep turning itself back on whenever I disable network discovery and file sharing. In Security and Maintenance it says Bitdefender Firewall is on, and Windows Firewall off... however when I go to Windows Firewall in control panel, it states it's on for both public and home networks. If i turn it off, it automatically turns file/printer sharing and network discovery on, and when i disable that it in turn turns Windows Firewall on.

Now generally I've heard that shouldn't run two firewalls at once, what is the best thing to do, and is it ok to run both simaltaneously?

ffs now it's saying Windows Defender is on again!! at the same time I've already uninstalled it, reinstalled it, ran repair. It temporarily fixes itself then reverts back to being on... this is extremely annoying and I don't know whether it's on Bitdefender's or Microsoft's side to sort out