Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Scanning Ssl Email

Options

Hi all- so I apologize if this is discussed elsewhere. (i did do a search)

It seems that BD-TS 2116 is not scanning incoming ssl email for viruses. Is that the expected behavior? Am I wasting my time trying to figure out how to make it scan ssl email. I'm using Thunderbird as my email client if that make any difference.

Scanning is working for standard pop3 (port 110)

thanks for reading...

Comments

• Hi all- so I apologize if this is discussed elsewhere. (i did do a search)

It seems that BD-TS 2116 is not scanning incoming ssl email for viruses. Is that the expected behavior? Am I wasting my time trying to figure out how to make it scan ssl email. I'm using Thunderbird as my email client if that make any difference.

Scanning is working for standard pop3 (port 110)

thanks for reading...

Actually, it's pretty well known (even by AV vendors) that email scanning is redundant and unnecessary. All of the email providers already scan everything going through their servers and even if something did get through, your AV would detect it when it tried to execute. If it didn't detect it on execution , it wouldn't have detected it on download either so it doesn't matter. AV vendors are still including it in their products to give their customers a sense of added security even though there really isn't any.
  • Actually, it's pretty well known (even by AV vendors) that email scanning is redundant and unnecessary. All of the email providers already scan everything going through their servers and even if something did get through, your AV would detect it when it tried to execute. If it didn't detect it on execution , it wouldn't have detected it on download either so it doesn't matter. AV vendors are still including it in their products to give their customers a sense of added security even though there really isn't any.

so... BD does not scan ssl email? Just pop3?

yeah it may not be necessary, but here is one example of when it would be a benefit.

user download an email with a virus ridden attachment.

user then makes a backup of the email database (tbird profile) then imports the backup to a new computer that is not AV protected. That virus is then on the new computer in the email program waiting to be executed.

I'd much prefer it had been stripped from the email in the first place, thereby leaving nothing to chance. :)