Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

General scann quest

Options

Hi,

My quest is:

the scannoption is exactly the same when use the normal mode for windows, with BD Style Console.

Why must i make sometimes make an scann in safeboot ?

I know, that some service of windows turned of. Installer and co.

The scannoption in safemode is not so easy for normal user.

How dont know how bd works.

Greets

loony

Comments

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi loony,

When starting your PC in SafeMode, only the basic modules of Windows start. There are no drivers loaded, no services started, no applications run. That means that any viruses that you might have won't start either, so you can delete any infected file.

In other words: when you run your PC in normal mode and you find a virus, you can try to delete it (manually, or with the help of an AV). But that virus could be able to protect itself: either block your attempts to delete the infected files, or just using a backup infected file to reinstall itself. In this case, the only way to clean that virus is to prevent it to start when you switch on your PC.

When you start in SafeMode, you prevent that virus to start, so you can easily delete it.

The scannoption in safemode is not so easy for normal user.

BD, as you know it, uses some services to run. In SafeMode, those services are not running, so you can't use BD with the friendly interface that you like.

Instead you have to use BitDefender Console (bdc.exe) to scan your system, because it doesn't need those services.

Cris.

• Niels
    Options

What Cris said is right. You can use a tool as unlocker to remove infected files that are currently loaded in normal mode. But booting into safe mode is easier. Because in normal mode some infections can hide themselves. That is also with other security programs the case that they can detect and remove more when they are safe mode. Here you will find some more info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_mode

I tested it to start the services of BitDefender again in safe mode but a scan doesn't work. Running bdc.exe I didn't tried yet.

• Some viruses CAN start together with windows in safe mode. Even if most of the services are not running, the most important libraries are loaded (user32.dll, kernel32.dll etc), and svchost.exe too. It is not imposible for a virus/worm to start together with win in safe mode.

• alexcrist
    Options

@Andrei: of course SafeMode is not 100% safe, but it is safer then NormalMode.

If I remember correctly, when I was using Norton AV (about 124235 years ago), NAV also had the possibility to auto-start in safe mode. So if NAV could, I don't see why a virus can't.

But, in case of such a virus, anyone can just use the BD Rescue CD, and then you know nothing starts (not even Windows :D)

Cris.

• loony
    Options

Hi, to all

first of all i will say thank you for the answers.

Learned a lot of them, now i´m understand.

I´m also a fan of integreated Scanner in a boot - cd

To scann outsite of system; RAM you understand.

Greets

loony

• @Andrei: of course SafeMode is not 100% safe, but it is safer then NormalMode.

If I remember correctly, when I was using Norton AV (about 124235 years ago), NAV also had the possibility to auto-start in safe mode. So if NAV could, I don't see why a virus can't.

But, in case of such a virus, anyone can just use the BD Rescue CD, and then you know nothing starts (not even Windows :D)

Cris.

When booting in safe mode, windows won't execute any of the programes listed in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run, where most of the viruses place a key to start together with windows. This makes it much more safer than normal mode.

• kninejim
    Options

Once again a question about BD and safe mode. Yes, you can run bdc.exe in safe mode, but you have to know where it is, how to get there, and you still have to know those pesky command lines to get it to do what you want it to do. I've written batch files to run BD in safe mode to make life a little easier for me, but it would be nice if the people at BitDefender could come up with a way for the general population to easily run BD in safe mode without having to know how to use command lines. I would think a separate little module in BD that basically runs a batch file in safe mode that prompts you on what to do with found infected files would do the job. I've put this in the suggestion box before.....hope the people at BD will consider it.......and notice all the times Neils and Cris have had to post the command lines to help people get rid of viruses that BD won't eliminate while Windows is running in regular mode. Don't get me wrong...I love BItDefender....just a couple of tweaks would make it so much nicer.

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi kninejim,

I totally agree with you and I hope BD v11 will have a better Console version of BD.

Cris.

• loony
    Options

Hi,

let us whisfull thinking, that bd has in future a better console in use for future.

Sorryi can better reading than writing :)

Greets

loony

• kninejim
    edited May 2007
    Options

~deleted for using other language than english~

jim