Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Problems with spam

Options

I bought and installed BitDefender yesterday as I was a little fed up with Norton, had just had to recover my entire set up, and BD had got very good PC Answers scores.

However this morning as I was working I was keeping an eye on Outlook 2003 as I was expecting 4 or 5 large emails from a client. As these were coming in the outlook popup flagged a message from 'no sender' with a subject line which was just random characters. Clearly this was spam, so I switched to the Outlook window and that's when it all went wrong. The reading pane had frozen grey, there was no sender name in the header line - just blank - and Outlook froze. I had to use Task Manager to close it. I tried again. It froze. I did this a few more times and the same thing happened. I called BitDefender and they suggested a deep scan, which would "take care of it". I saw it scan my .pst file - nothing picked up. I ended up having to delete the .pst file - I keep a back up - and reinstall. I couldn't get in to delete the mail as Outlook froze 2 or 3 seconds after loading.

I'm sure Comodo antispam used to stop mails with no sender info. Also, some other antispam programmes allow you to block entire domains - .ru, for instance. Why doesn't BitDefender have a more configurable antispam? I'm now worried that I'll have to back up .pst daily in case it happens again. Even set to aggressive, it's letting spam mails through.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? Or is it something I'm not setting up right?

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hi davidb

You can block entire domains open Outlook then press on spammers on the BitDefender Antispamtoolbar select domain name and e.g type *@spam.la for blocking the entire domain. Try the repairoption of outlook by putting in the installation disc of office and go to help analysis and recovery. BitDefender Antispam is also an learning filter so you have to mark some mails as spam.

Best regards

Niels

• davidb
    Options

Thanks Niels

I have tried disabling the reading pane while it 'learns', just in case. In hindsight that might have been wise to start with.

David

• Niels
    Options

Hi David

That is good that you also disabled reading pane.

You can enable more filters if you want. But then you have to start BitDefender go to antispam. You can also put the slider on aggressive. Or you can enable filters by yourself by going to settings. There you enable the advanced filters. Don't forget to press on apply to confirm. Glad that I could help you.

Regards

Niels