Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Is 2008: Thunderbird Toolbar Disappeared

Options
alanbo
edited August 2008 in Spam and phishing talk

I'm having trouble with the Thundebird toolbar. It has disappeared from Thunderbird and is not available on View/Toolbars. It is not listed as an Add-on as it used to be. In BitDefender if I try to 'Manage Friends' or 'Manage Spammers' the bottom left hand side of the configuration dialog box is empty, whereas I used to be able to navigate to address books to include in the Friends list.

However, Antispam is enabled in BitDefender, incoming emails are scanned and some are listed as spam with 'spam' in the subject title.

I have repaired, uninstalled and reinstalled BitDefender using Repair and Uninstall, and also unistalled using the Uninstall tool downloaded from the website, and then reinstalled. I have followed the steps suggested in the forums for problems with the toolbar, and I have also unistalled and reinstalled Thunderbird.

The required files from BitDefender for the toolbar are in the Program Files/Thunderbird/components directory: bdtb.dll, bdtb.ini, and IBDTB.xpt.

Anybody any ideas?

BD support have stopped answering my emails on this one, even though I've followed all their instructions to the letter.

Any moderator out there who can help?

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hello Alan 010976,

Did you already tried creating a new profile in Thunderbird? For instructions see here.

Download glary utilities from this location. Install it run it afterwards click on the modules tab press on registry cleaner, scan registry for problems.

Repair BitDefender once again. First right click on the red BitDefender icon near the system tray and press on exit.

Kind regards,

Niels

• alanbo
    Options
    Did you already tried creating a new profile in Thunderbird?
    I tried this several times with no effect.

Download glary utilities from this location. Install it run it afterwards click on the modules tab press on registry cleaner, scan registry for problems.
    I already use a registry cleaner (Winaso Registry Optimizer) but I used this one as well but again to no effect.

Repair BitDefender once again. First right click on the red BitDefender icon near the system tray and press on exit.
    I've repaired it and completely uninstalled it using the uninstall tool, and also manually removed any references to any BD files and references to BD in the registry before reinstalling, but all to no effect.

Thanks again for your time on this, Niels. I think there must be a bug in the BD software given the problems posted in the Spam and Phishing forum. For example, I don't use Outlook for email and ironically I can't get rid of the Toolbar from Outlook. Every time I delete it it reappears, and the system wont allow me to delete the bdo.dll which I think is the file for the Outlook tollbar.

Unelss there's an easy solution I think I'll just give up on this and use Thunderbird's junk mail controls.

Again thanks for your efforts, Niels.

• alanbo
    Options

Support have started contacting me again after a complaint (routed through UK support phone number to Romania) and suggested the following which has had no effect:

"1. Uninstall BitDefender.

2. Uninstall Thunderbird.

3. Install BitDefender.

4. Install Thunderbird.

When Thunderbird is installed, certain files should be created in the

BitDefender installation folder. We need to see if this happens. Also, after

Thunderbird is installed open it and check if there is a SPAM folder inside

the Trash folder. If it is not, create it manually."

• Niels
    Options

Hello Alan 010976,

You can try this navigate to the installation directory off BitDefender. Copy the folder called tbextension to your desktop. Open the folder by double clicking on it. Select all files and folders by pressing the ctrl button together with a now right click on a file and make a zip file.(Use any archive tool to archive it as an .zip file). Now rename it to .xpi. Now go into Thunderbird to the add-on's and press on install. If you have done that normally you will see BitDefender Antispam toolbar by toolbars.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Niels
    Options

Hello Alan 010976,

If the BitDefender Antispam toolbar is disabled. Check this topic. It could be that you don't see the .zip extension to solve that please click on start,my computer go to the tools menu,folder options,view (display),uncheck hide known file types and press on apply and ok.

Kind regards,

Niels

• alanbo
    edited July 2008
    Options

Brillilant, Niels - a simple solution to a long standing problem which doesn't involve continual uninstall and reinstall of BD and TB - did you have this up your sleeve from the start?

I still think there is a bug in the TB BD toolbar which is causing the problem with greying out you refer to in your next post. What I think happens is this: BD does not create a spam folder in TB until there is an incoming email which is designated as spam. Prior to this you cannot designate any emails "Is Spam" or "Not Spam", nor can you "Add Spammer" or "Add Friend". Also you can only use "Spammers", "Friends", "Settings" or "Wizard" when no email is selected. When an email is selected the whole toolbar is greyed out. By the way "BitDefender Antispam" on the toolbar does not seem to work at all, even when it is not greyed out.

Once an email comes in which is designated as spam, a spam folder is automatically created and when an email is selected the whole toolbar becomes available.

If you cannot designate email as spam or not spam before this it is either a bug or a design flaw.

As far as Outlook goes I can't disable or delete the TB toolbar from Outlook. Whenever I try to Customise/Delete the toolbar it always returns when I reopen Outlook. Anyone any ideas on this?

• Niels
    Options

Hello Alan 010976,

Sorry for the delay.

If I had found this solution from the start I would immediately posted it here. Instead off let you following my previous advice. I came across this solution after lots off trying.

To uninstall the BitDefender Antispam toolbar in Outlook do this press the windows button together with r now type regsvr32 -u "X:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2008\bdo.dll" press enter. (You need change X: to the driver letter off your hard disk were you store your software by default it's C:). This will prevent the toolbar to run.

Kind regards,

Niels

• alanbo
    Options

Hi Niels

Strange - I did what you suggested and got a message saying "DllUnregisterServer in D:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2008\bdo.dll failed. Return code was 0x8002801c" but the toolbar has gone from Outlook.

Thanks again.

Alan

• Niels
    Niels
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hello Alan 010976,

Go also in Outlook to tools,options,others,advanced options,com add-ins and see if bdo.dll is still present. This just to be sure. That error message can occur if there is an permission problem. Glad that I could help you. You are welcome.

Kind regards,

Niels

• alanbo
    Options

Hi again Niels

It's gone from COM Add-Ins, but the file bdo/dll is still on my computer in the BD program folder.

Alan

• Niels
    Options

Hello Alan 010976,

Sorry for the delay but I was on vacation untill now.

That is normall. Outlook will not load it anymore so you can leave it there. You can't just remove because all BitDefender folders are protected by the BitDefender selfprotection service.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Thanks again, Niels.

Regards

Alan