Need a Remote PC access program compatible w/Bitdefender

Well.... this is my first time here. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good remote PC access program that Bitdefender won't put into quarantine when it performs a scan? We need to be able to work away from home, and BitDefender doesn't like the remote program we were using. Norton said it was OK, but that's probably the ONLY thing Norton ever did that was OK.... We're looking for one that's chea.p (free is even better)... and that doesn't have a monthly subscription requirement.

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who might have an idea!!!

:D

Comments

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited April 2007

I have the same problem with RAdmin.

• I'll keep you posted... Live Chat told hubby how to configure the Firewall to allow his remote program to work... we're going to try it now. You might try going to live chat yourself and seeing what they suggest you do... GOOD LUCK!!!!!

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited April 2007

I know how to make BD Firewall to give RAdmin access in and out of my computer. The problem is that, when I scan that folder for viruses, BD finds this:

E:\Radmin\radmin.exe Detected: Application.Remoteadmin.ACK
  • Hey Cris... Here's what we've tried.... First we removed the files from quarantine... Then we excluded the program in limbo from all scans... That didn't work, Bitdefender and the program still clashed with each other. THEN we did some Firewall exclusion thingie per Live Chat instructions... and it STILL won't work. We're bumfuzzled... and looking for a new remote control program, I guess. We were looking at RAdmin.... but if it isn't working for you then that doesn't sound like an option either....

Waaaaaaaaaaa :(

• Hey Cris... Here's what we've tried.... First we removed the files from quarantine... Then we excluded the program in limbo from all scans... That didn't work, Bitdefender and the program still clashed with each other. THEN we did some Firewall exclusion thingie per Live Chat instructions... and it STILL won't work. We're bumfuzzled... and looking for a new remote control program, I guess. We were looking at RAdmin.... but if it isn't working for you then that doesn't sound like an option either....

Waaaaaaaaaaa :(

RAdmin DOES work. I just added it's folder to the ignored paths so realtime protection won't find it as a virus, created the firewall rules to grant access to the internet and it works fine. Only on On Demand scans BD finds RAdmin infected, but I just ignore those alerts. :)

If you need help making it work, I'm here ;)

• This isn't a very safe solution but you can set the security level on local settings. Open BD then put the slider on local setting. Then it normally must work. You can also made a firewall rule where you allow both traffic and ip-addresses and which ports that needed to be opened.

Regards

Niels

• This isn't a very safe solution but you can set the security level on local settings. Open BD then put the slider on local setting. Then it normally must work. You can also made a firewall rule where you allow both traffic and ip-addresses and which ports that needed to be opened.

Sorry, Niels, but I don't understand what/why this isn't safe. Could you explain?

And what do you mean by "local settings"? For future reference, please give more details about the options (like in what section do you find that option: antivirus, firewall, etc...), cos not everybody uses the English version of BD (I have the Romanian version).

• Why local system (setting) isn't very safe because firewall is disabled and also antispam. For the rest the protection is active.

I also don't have an English version. If you start BitDefender then you normally see a slider that you can set on three different levels: Internet plus,internet and local system.

More safer is to make a rule in the firewall by going to firewall, add rule,then browse to the parts of the remote software that needs access to the internet. Then follow the steps and by traffic select both. After that you must specify to which ip-address(es) it may connect and which ports must be opened.

• OK, I understand (and I saw the option now :) ), but nobody said anything about turning OFF the firewall. I have that slider set to Internet plus.

I suggested to ignore the path of RAdmin from realtime antivirus scanning (so it won't be blocked as a virus) and to add the rule in the firewall to grant access to the internet for RAdmin.

• OK, I understand (and I saw the option now :) ), but nobody said anything about turning OFF the firewall. I have that slider set to Internet plus.

I suggested to ignore the path of RAdmin from realtime antivirus scanning (so it won't be blocked as a virus) and to add the rule in the firewall to grant access to the internet for RAdmin.

I have set it also on internet plus. That's why I said that it was unsafe because the firewall is disabled. And also why I also suggested for making a rule in the firewall.

But if BD keeps blocking it then you can indeed bypass it by going to antivirus,shield,adjusted level,exclude path on all levels then press on the add button and then browse to the installation folder of the remote software and then confirm by pressing on ok. Just as you said. I just described it how to do that.

• Well all..... I'm not totally sure I understood all of that, but here's our problem... My husband has an old program called Cool!Remote (Cool Remote). It's an application that allows him remote PC access. The downside is it's an old program, and Cool Remote is no longer supported by the company (as far as we can determine)... So it's what.... an anachronism? Anyways, BD conflicts with it. Hubby has done everything BD advised... Excluded it from scan settings. Made the firewall exclusion adjustments.... and Cool Remote will still NOT run. He's almost ready to go back to Norton because he really NEEDS this remote access... Does anyone have a fix he can use (and I'm pretty non-technical, so I need to know exactly what and where to go and what and where to click.... )

Thanks all!!!

• Anyways, BD conflicts with it.

Hi TexasPrairieGal,

What do you mean "conflicts"?

Does BD report Cool!Remote as a virus, or BD blocks it from accessing the internet? It's important that you give specific details so we can give you a correct answer. :)

• One last thing.... Hubby said he's more than willing to try something besides Cool Remote (right now we're just singing the "Dance with the song that brung you").... but we'd prefer something relatively inexpensive and not web-based with some absurd monthly subscription cost...

But to me it sounds like RAdmin has the same conflicts sort of issues? Just not quite as bad?

• By "conflict".... what I mean is that when he tries to run Cool Remote he gets an error message:

Run Time Error 126

Basically BD put the program executables into virus-scan quarantine...

First he tried removing it from quarantine

He's uninstalled and then reinstalled BD, stopping the first scan from running automatically.

He removed it from the scan list

He excluded it from the Firewall

The only thing he hasn't done is that last thing you suggested... Would that do the trick for him???

Boy..... y'all are awesome!

• So, to be clear:

BitDefender finds RAdmin as a virus. RAdmin is clean. The virus alert can be ignored (just add it's path to the Excluded paths in the Antivirus section). <<== This solves the first conflict.

BitDefender Firewall has to be manually configured so RAdmin will have the proper connection to the internet. I know how to do it, and I can help you. <<== This solves the second conflict.

There are not any other conflicts. RAdmin works fine (I've used it more then once) .

Oh, and another thing... are you sure your remote connection is not blcoked by the firewall at the company? Maybe it's nothning wrong at your computer, but the connection might be blocked by the firewall at the "other end" (the computer you are trying to access). If this is the case, installing another firewall at your computer won't solve anything. You must configure the firewall on the other computer to grant access to your remote connection.

This is why I asked for specific details (what does BD say about Cool!Remote), because are a lot more causes that can block your connection, not only a conflict between BD and Cool!Remote.

I have to go for today. I'll be back tomorrow. Hope you find a solution. Bye. :)

• So, to be clear:

BitDefender finds RAdmin as a virus. RAdmin is clean. The virus alert can be ignored (just add it's path to the Excluded paths in the Antivirus section). <<== This solves the first conflict.

BitDefender Firewall has to be manually configured so RAdmin will have the proper connection to the internet. I know how to do it, and I can help you. <<== This solves the second conflict.

There are not any other conflicts. RAdmin works fine (I've used it more then once) .

About the "runtime error"... if you say that BD moved something to quarantine, then it might have broke something to Cool!Remote. Try reinstalling Cool!Remote and tell as if it works. It might just be an error in Cool!Remote and have nothing to do with BD.

Oh, and another thing... are you sure your remote connection is not blcoked by the firewall at the company? Maybe it's nothning wrong at your computer, but the connection might be blocked by the firewall at the "other end" (the computer you are trying to access). If this is the case, installing another firewall at your computer won't solve anything. You must configure the firewall on the other computer to grant access to your remote connection.

This is why I asked for specific details (what does BD say about Cool!Remote), because are a lot more causes that can block your connection, not only a conflict between BD and Cool!Remote.

I have to go for today. I'll be back tomorrow. Hope you find a solution. Bye. :)

• Hi Chris.... I understand that you have to go home sometime.... Meanwhile I'll try to explain this all as best as I can....

Hubby has been using Cool Remote for several years..... just on our local LAN, never across the internet....

between his 2 laptops and his desktop

Up until now we've been using Norton Internet Security... but when Norton crashed my computer (as in LOAD ERROR... couldn't even get to Safe Mode and had to slave the HD to recover data)... Anyways, when Norton commited that atrocity we threw it out the window and are converting our computer security to BitDefender.

So, as far as Cool Remote, the only change is BitDefender. I will say that the 2 laptops are still running Norton. So far he only has BitDefender on his desktop computer.... Cool Remote worked fine with Norton on all 3 of those computers. Cool Remote works fine on and between the 2 laptops. Cool Remote is inoperable on the computer with BitDefender.

Anyways, the first time he installed BD and it ran the scan (the one it runs when you install BD), the Cool Remote executable files were tagged as virus and placed into quarantine. We went to online chat and were told how to unload or remove the files from quarantine. That didn't work.

Then we went to online chat and were told to uninstall and reinstall BD, but to NOT run that initial scan until the program files were identified and excluded from the virus scan. Also, we were told how to exclude the files from the Firewall... He did BOTH of those things. Cannot find any place where BD has tagged the program now as a virus or anything, BUT..... now when he tries to run Cool Remote he gets the following error: Run Time Error 126

The error message goes away if he uninstalls BD, so our conclusion is that Cool Remote and BD are butting heads.

Our question is.... what ELSE does he need to do in BD to allow Cool Remote to function and co-exist peacefully with BitDefender??? Do the virus shield thing you described a few messages back????

Thanks for all your help!

• If you receive a message that BitDefender blocked Cool Remote as a virus. Then the best thing is trying to exclude it from the realtime protection : by going to antivirus,shield,adjusted level,exclude path on all levels then press on the add button and then browse to the installation folder of the remote software and then confirm by pressing on ok. As I said before.

For which windows version was Cool remote made? If windows xp is installed you can try to let cool remote run in compatibility mode by browsing to the installation folder and rightclick on the items for using the program then go to the tab compatibility mode and select a previous windows version and confirm by pressing on apply and ok. See if that works.

• Hi Chris....

Cris, not Chris. It's short for Cristian. :P

Hubby has been using Cool Remote for several years..... just on our local LAN, never across the internet....

between his 2 laptops and his desktop

For the firewall, it's the same thing... Cool!Remote needs access to the network from the firewall. What he accesses (local network or internet) it doesn't matter, cos the settings are the same.

So, as far as Cool Remote, the only change is BitDefender. I will say that the 2 laptops are still running Norton. So far he only has BitDefender on his desktop computer.... Cool Remote worked fine with Norton on all 3 of those computers. Cool Remote works fine on and between the 2 laptops. Cool Remote is inoperable on the computer with BitDefender.

Now it's clear that it's related to BD. The problem is now: is it the Firewall, or the Antivirus?

Anyways, the first time he installed BD and it ran the scan (the one it runs when you install BD), the Cool Remote executable files were tagged as virus and placed into quarantine. We went to online chat and were told how to unload or remove the files from quarantine. That didn't work.

OK. First problem: it's the antivirus. :P

It didn't work to just put the files back, cos maybe, once the files were moved to quarantine, something broke in Cool!Remote.

Then we went to online chat and were told to uninstall and reinstall BD, but to NOT run that initial scan until the program files were identified and excluded from the virus scan. Also, we were told how to exclude the files from the Firewall... He did BOTH of those things. Cannot find any place where BD has tagged the program now as a virus or anything, BUT..... now when he tries to run Cool Remote he gets the following error: Run Time Error 126

That didn't fix anything much, cos it's similar to just putting the files back from quarantine.

Our question is.... what ELSE does he need to do in BD to allow Cool Remote to function and co-exist peacefully with BitDefender??? Do the virus shield thing you described a few messages back????

One single answer: there is always a solution. The hard thing is to find it. :)

So, first of all, to be sure that Cool!Remote works properly, try to reinstall it.

To do it without any problems from BD, do this:

1) unplug the network cable: you have to do this, so you won't get infected in the following steps

2) turn off BitDefender Antivirus and BitDefender Firewall (disable BD modules from the Management Console. Don't just close it from Notification Area, cos that won't turn off the protection): do this, so the installation of Cool!Remote is not interrupted by anything. After this, uninstall and reinstall Cool!Remote

3) Open BitDefender Managemet Console -> Antivirus, click on Custom Level and make the modifications I marked in the screenshot I attached (BD Antivirus.jpg)

4) Also, make the changes to the actions on Infected/Suspected files, as you see in the second screenshot (BD Antivirus 2.jpg): this will prevent moving the files to quarantine

5) Turn ON BitDefender protection (Antivirus and Firewall)

6) Plug in the network cable.

After the 6th step, if there still is something wrong, BitDefender will alert you that there's a virus in your system (in Cool!Remote). That means one of the settings is not correct. However, if you applied the 4th step, the files won't be moved anywhere, they will be only blocked. <<== if this happens, post here. If it doesn't happen, continue ;)

If nothing happens after you complete the 6 steps, then you're on the right track. Try to open Cool!Remote and see if there are any errors when it starts. Don't try to connect anywhere, cos you still have to configure the firewall to grant access to the network. If Cool!Remote starts without any errors, then you're one step closer to success :)

Now, to configure the firewall:

1) Open BD Management Console, and go to the Firewall section and click on Traffic.

2) IF you made any rules for Cool!Remote in the firewall, delete them.

3) Click on Add rule (or select something in the Traffic list and press Insert key on your keyboard).

4) In the Add rule window, set the following parameters:

• Select application: Path/Filename

• Program path: click Browse and search for Cool!Remote's .exe file
    • Action: Allow
    • Network events: All
    • Direction: Both
    • Protocol: Any
    • Source and Destination Address: Any
    • Create persistent rule: Yes
    These parameters will allow any connection to and from anywhere. If Cool!Remote does not have somekind of protection (like password access or something like that), after you make it works you have to modify these settings to limit access only between your 3 computers (by IP address). But first you have to make it work with these settings. :)

5) Click Add. The Add rule window will dissapear, and the new rule will be addded at the end of the Traffic list

6) Click Edit Profile. A window with the caption Detailed view of current ruleset will appear

7) Scroll down to the end of the first list (Inbound rules), select the Cool!Remote rule and move it to the top (click on the black arrow which points upwards)

8) Repeat the previous step for the Outbound rules, and click OK

This should be enough. If you are sure the the firewall on the other computers doesn't block the connection, it should work just fine now.

If it doesn't work, then either you did something wrong, either there is another problem somewhere. As I see on the internet, Cool!Remote was last updated in 2002 :blink: I would recommend switching to something else (newer). RAdmin costs 10$ more then Cool!Remote, but it was updated last month (and has the security settings I was talking earlier).

If it does work, there's no need to change it. I hope this will fix your problem.

Good luck,

Cris.

post-60-1175757008_thumb.jpg

post-60-1175757016_thumb.jpg

• Wow! Cris, you are "da man!"

This is Mark, TexasPrairieGals hubby, the one who is struggling with Cool Remote.

I had been playing with BD a little and found some of the setting you talk about here but I hadn't managed to put all the pieces together to get things working. Now that I am getting a little feel for BD and with your fantastic help, I expect I can get things up and running with cool. I'll let you know when I have a chance to play with it some.

I have also gotten radmin to work BUT, if I can get Cool Remote working, the price sure is better :D

I have a bunch of legacy programs I still use quite happily but I am slowly having to give up on some of the old standby's and update to the 21st century. Cool remote is still hanging in there but it's days may be numbered. However, with your help, maybe I can get some more miles out of the old horse.

I can sure say I (and Shirley) are way way impressed with BD and with this forum. What a breath of fresh air after all the hassles and slow-downs that Norton was causing. It's like getting new, faster machines now that Norton is history. I know Shirley's computer got completely zapped by a reinstall of Norton, and that was even after following all the steps to uninstall the other version and so on. Would have been a total disaster if I hadn't been able to slave her drive and get the needed files back. It also finally made me get off my duff and get an updated BackUp program! :-)

Speaking of which, we are evaluating Acronis True Image as a backup program. Any thoughts or suggestions about this or other alternatives?

Anyway, thanks ever so for your help and suggestions.

All the best from Texas. - Mark -

• OMG... I am totally blown away...

I have never ever NEVER had a technical issue that ANYONE addressed this comprehensively....

I think hubby was secretly poo-pooing my "I'm going to get you some help from the Forum" idea.... but he's pretty blown away with the response (and we're both totally hooked on Bitdefender now)...

We have not had a single issue to resolve (a couple were pretty minor, too) that weren't addressed immediately, with SUPER friendly helpful directions... (oh dear.... I think I'm going to cry after remembering all the useless struggling with Norton and how much of our time Norton chewed up the past few weeks). Altho I guess you have to be impressed by Nortons ability to make you actually pay for doing horrible things to you... (in a sort of twisted way....)...

Niels, we both appreciate your suggestions, help, and "I'm here if you need me".... That issooo reassuring to newbie BD users...

And Cris.... the amount of time you spent on answering hubby's Cool!Remote dillemma is beyond the beyond... He's getting ready to dig into Cool and BD to "hash it out and hook it up" (wow.... sounds like a good Country Western song title is hiding in there...)....

Anyways.... It is sooo reassuring to know y'all are out there in e-space... and my Gawd... y'all are soooooooooo friendly and smart!!!!! YeeeeeHaaaaw!!!!

• Hi, skeezaroonie and TexasPrairieGal,

I'm glad that I can help you. :)

Speaking of which, we are evaluating Acronis True Image as a backup program. Any thoughts or suggestions about this or other alternatives?

I'm sorry, I don't know many things about backup programs, mainly because since I use BD (I use it since it was called AVX) I have never had any problems with viruses, so I never thought about making a backup of my important files (they're 100% safe B) ).

But I recommend using a backup program, especially if you have VERY important files, because you can never know ;)

• Hey Cris....

Man-o-man, I sure do recommend getting a backup program. Fortunately we've never had a virus problem ourselves, either... altho Norton used ALL of our computer resources to manage that.... And when Norton hosed my computer it was Norton, not a virus (then again, maybe Norton IS a virus???)... I guess if you don't have anything like super vital it's not critical... But just reinstalling software stuff can take FOREVER (like Office, Photoshop, Frontpage, scanners, and bla bla bla....)... Sometimes computers just plain break , too... Out here in rural Texas where we live, the lightning storms get VERY "interesting". Apparently hubby had a computer totally fried by a lightning strike that went thru the wiring and frizzled an old laptop of his (that was before me.... I'd probably be looking for a cave to live in if lightning had struck while I was in the house...).

But hubby is taking care of the backup thingie... I use them and break them.... then he fixes them (or something like that....)

:wacko:

I sure hope everyone here has an awesome weekend (only Thursday here... but advance planning is good!)

• I just had an IDEA!!!!!!

Why doesn't the BitDefender team come up with a backup adjunct to their computer security software??? Sort of something like Nortons go-back or Ghost???

Now that would be like the PERFECT solution!!!

Is there a place on this forum for suggestions??????

• Good to hear that ra admin now works. If cool remote fails to load then try the comptability mode in conjunction what Cris said. I only tried to help because I don't use remote software myself. Thanks for appreciating my efforts. If you have any other problem I will assist you.

Acronis true image is a good backup program. I also recommend the solutions of genie-soft : http://www.genie-soft.com/products/gbm/default.html

Most backupprograms are good.