Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Strange Spam That Indicates Malware At Work

Options

Spam email looks ordinary until I "mouse-over" sender's name and a new name appears.. a name from my Contacts List and no domain name attached. I tried to filter the sender (Gmail filter option) but only a single letter appears where sender name and domain should appear. The letter obviously comes from the Contact List name because capital letter vs lower-case letter always match up. For example, if the "single" letter is a K, there is a K (capitalized) in the Contact List name.

Looks like a piece of malware is resident and has sent my Contact List to a spammer. BitDefender has not found anything but to be fair, I also ran AVG 8.0, A-Squared, Zone Alarm, Webroot, SpyDefender, CounterSpy, Kaspersky and Avast all of which found nothing. Please note that I disabled BitDefender and ran each of the other anti-malware programs "standalone". Yes, I am somewhat paranoid about malware but with good reason.. 2 totally trashed systems in 18 months.

Anyone else seen this type of spam? What to do?

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hello rdftex,

Sorry for the delay.

Can you please please download Deckard's System Scanner. You need to save it on your desktop. Close all other applications and windows. First right click on dss(.exe) and choose for run as administrator. Now double click on dss(.exe) Confirm the warnings. It can take a while. Please copy the content of main and extra textfiles. Extra will be minimized and paste it at your next post. Because it will be large spread them about a few posts.

Kind regards,

Niels