Net Zone Of Scan Activity Bar & Network Activity Graph Not Working

Finish fixing one problem with BitDefender Ineternet Security 2008 and another crops up,,,,,,,,,,,

The net zone of the scan activity bar has stopped registering any activity at all. The firewall is enabled, according to the tab BD/Settings/Firewall/Status but on the same tab there are zero bytes incoming and outgoing on the Network Activity graph at the bottom of the tab.

On the BD/Settings/Firewall/Activity tab, Total traffic also reads zero for Out speed, In speed, Total out and Total in, even though I am surfing internet sites (Firefox 3.0.1), listening to internet radio (Winamp 5.531), or playing internet radio through my media server (TVersity 0.9.11.4). All these application are listed as Active connections with individual values of 100s of Mb for Total out and Total in, even when Total traffic reads zero. My cable modem also indicates incoming and outgoing internet activity.

Any ideas anyone? Simple solutions gratefully received.

Alan

XP Pro SP2 1Gb Ram Pentium 2.0 GHz

Comments

• Hello Alan 010976,

Please try this: press the windows button together with r now type devmgmt.msc press enter. Go to the view menu select show hidden devices. Now expand the section network adaptors. Right click on BitDefender Firewall NDSIS Filter driver choose disable. Reboot your pc afterwards do the samething but choose enable reboot your pc afterwards and see if the problem still persists.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Hi Niels

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Which one of the five? See pic below

Alan

post-13357-1216750204_thumb.jpg

• Hello Alan 010976,

Sorry for the delay but I was on vacation untill now.

You need to right click on the 3 entries that have BitDefender Firewall NDSIS Filter Miniport. Sorry for that but I mixed the name off the driver in device manager with the name on your network connections.

After you have done that click on start,connect to,show (display) all connections now right click on the icon off your internet connection choose properties. Uncheck BitDefender Firewall NDSIS Filter driver press on apply adn ok and reboot your pc. Normally you may only find 1 entry off the BitDefender Firewall NDSIS Filter driver once you right click on your network connection.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Thanks Niels - I'll try this towards end of August - be away until then.

Regards

Alan

• Hello Alan 010976,

If that fails you need to run a repair installation: click on start,programs,BitDefender 2008,repair or remove. But before back-up your friend and spammer list,firewall settings,... First make a new folder on a desired location on your hard disc. After that open BitDefender by right clicking on the red BitDefender icon near the system tray press on open advanced settings after that press on advanced,save all settings. To save the spam settings you have to open your email client press on friends,spammers and save the files will have .bwl as extension.

Kind regards,

Niels

• alanbo
    edited August 2008

Things have moved on since my last post. Support offered me a free upgrade to the 2009 version and an extension to my current license, if I'd install it and see whether the Thunderbird toolbar would display, which it did. However, the firewall would not operate at all. When I try to enable it in the advanced settings I get the message "Cannot communicate with the BD Virus Shield Service". I uninstalled 2009 and reinstalled 2008 and following the same procedure I got the message "BD firewall drivers could not be started." The following applies to both the 2008 and 2009 versions: when I go to the Device Manager and view hidden devices there is no BD miniport filter - see pic 1 below. I also tried Cris' instructions here http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...765&hl=NDIS - and there is a service without a name - see pic 2. If I select that service and try to uninstall that service nothing happens. If select it and try to install it I get an error mesage saying "Could not add the requested component. The error is: the data is invalid."

I've tried the uninstall tool, reinstalling and repair installations several times but to no effect.

I haven't tried Cris' other suggestion here http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB391-en--Firewa...vity-issue.html because I've got 2009 installed at the moment, but disabled as I'm currently using 3rd party firewall and anti virus. That suggestion is a year old anyway.

I like BD but it has caused me a lot of problems and if I can't solve the firewall problem easily I may leave BD.

post-13357-1219506385_thumb.jpg

post-13357-1219506394_thumb.jpg

• Anyone around in the last chance saloon?

• Anyone around in the last chance saloon?

BD internet Securiry 2009

Ad same problem and tried the solutions posted within. No results.

Ad to 'Repair' the installation, update, reboot and update again... and it worked... :rolleyes:

In the 2nd update the SW asked to reboot as it 'picked' some new components (bdcore.dll and others) as of 2008-11-02.

Hope it works for You too.