Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Anti-Virus Scanner File Location

Options

Hello, i have a download status bar addon in my Firefox, it has an option to do a virus scan for every file i download but i need to manually indicate the location of the anti virus scanner on my PC within the addon settings.

Can anyone please point out which is the .exe file for the anti virus scanner? there are lots of files in the program files folder of bitdefender and i have no idea which one is the right one.

Thanks

MSpost-200176-0-29160300-1458088528_thumb.jpg

Comments

• grayghost2
    edited March 2016
    Options

I cannot help you with the EXE file ... BUT ...

Downloads are harmless until you run them ... if the executable contains a threat.

I never rely on just any single AV to evaluate downloads, I would recommend VirusTotal ie, https://www.virustotal.com/en/ ... an online service by Google.

- simply upload the file to VirusTotal and VT will either scan the new file or present you with an option to view previous scans of the exe/zip/rar file.

- VT uses about 50+ antivirus engines including Bitdefender

- with ZIP files sometimes I extract the contents and then scan the extracted EXE file with VirusTotal, again (but then I am paranoid)

If you opt to view the previous scan VT will display the results of all AVs used

- at the top right hand of the results page is a set of scales -- do not rely on the user opinions as any body can click the scales to register their opinion

- in my experience some negative votes are totally unfounded, due to (IMO) user lack of experience or fan-boys/trolls amusing themselves.

False positives can be confusing for newbies ... Googling the name of the threat/s (if there is one) can lead to explanations, or dead ends.

- if in doubt, scan your download with free Malwarebytes and free SuperAntiSpyware

- Bitdefender email queries can also (maybe) clear up false positives in VirusTotal.

As a suggestion "DuckDuckGo" (DDG) search engine https://duckduckgo.com//?kaa=p is very useful tool for technical searches

There is no such thing as a single tool to protect you

- make use of forums dedicated to your operating system

---------------

BITDEFENDER SETTINGS

Protection -> Intrusion Detection (cog)
    Intrusion Detection System (enabled)
    - I use the default "Medium" setting

Protection -> Web Protection (cog)
    Web Protection -> Settings
    info: I have never used the "Show Bitdefender Toolbar" a personal thing tryin to declutter my browsers
    - all other settings I leave as enabled (default when BIS installed)

In my experience Bitdefender do a very good job of monitoring while you browse.

Any questions related to my reply, post your inquiry in this thread

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you :)

• info: I have never used the "Show Bitdefender Toolbar"

-----

Protection -> Web Protection (cog)-> Web Protection (window) -> Settings

[?] Show Bitdefender Toolbar ... setting

Did some research of my own, This link filled in the gaps for me.

- to be honest I did not know this feature even existed; I intend activating it (probably requires reboot)