System Restore Problem

With other antivirus programs I have had, I found that I could not restore my computer to an earlier time unless I disabled them. With Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2016, I could not restore my computer. An error message said that it could not access a file, and to disable my Antivirus. So I turned off the 'On Access'. Bitdefender asked how long to disable, and I chose until the computer restarts. Well, System Restore ran, and rebooted. I still got the same error message, even though Bitdefender was supposedly disabled. Do I need to actually uninstall Bitdefender, run System Restore, and then reinstall Bitdefender? I hope not. That seems kind of ridiculous, Isn't there a way to disable it so it will not interfere with System Restore?

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭

There are a couple of options that come to mind. One would be to boot into Safe Mode and try to restore.

The second option would be to boot into "Advanced Recovery Options" or "Startup Repair Options", normally accomplised by repeatedly pressing the F8 key when the computer is booting. This loads only minimal drivers and the restore might succeed. You didn't say which version of Windows you were using, but if you Google "Advanced Recovery Options" or "Startup Repair Options" for your version of Windows, you should get lots of hits on instructions as to how to do it.

Just what I would do. Hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Hi, Phil

I am using Windows 7. I googled things such as restore, etc. I guess I was googling the wrong topics. I didn't think of safe mode, etc. I now see that I probably should have. It would probably fix the problem. Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

• garioch7

You're welcome. Let us know how you make out. If Safe Mode doesn't solve it, my money would be on initiating a System Restore from the Advanced Startup Options. I don't think that any BD components are loaded in the Recovery Environment.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• Hi, Phil

Just wanted to let you know that your suggestion worked. It was what I needed, and I figured it probably was when I read it. I knew about Safe Mode, and I don't know why I didn't think of it. It just didn't enter my head. I don't know why it didn't, so your suggestion helped.

Thank you

• garioch7

You are most welcome. I glad that it worked for you.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,
    -Phil

• Look at the hurry here it amazing blog seen the site for play spades online free have to look online this way and start great fun forever here

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

kindly refrain from posting irrelevant comments.

@Alex D., @Andy_BD - kindly check

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

@ovile9080

Kindly refrain from posting irrelevant comments.

@Andy_BD, @Alex D. - kindly have a look

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)