Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Red Desktop Warning

Options

running bit defedner anti virus 2008, i got a red desk top and a warning that my security is at risk. Some of my icons disappeared, i could not get into control panel, or could i right click the desk top to change it as this seemed like a false desktop, i tried everything scanning but it just kept coming back, so i had to format, why did bit defedner not pick up this virus???

Comments

• That sounds like psguard. I had it 2-3 years ago. I found out a lot by googling it. If I remember right the only thing I found that removed it was spybot search & destroy and or Spyware Dr. No one application can catch everything but this has been around for so long it seems bitdefender should be able to detect it.

Good luck.

• Niels
    Options

Hello webbit,

No security solution can detect everything. Keep in mind that these creators keeps updating their fake scanners to avoid detection by vendors by uploading their files on sites such as virustotal.com,jotti.org,...

First of all you need to be sure that windows is up to date.

Update all your software. You can use vulnerability scan in the 2009 productline of BitDefender or visiting this website and run their scan.

What browser are you using? On what setting is the security level set in Internet Explorer?

Most of these fake scanners are spread on p2p networks,underground and a.dult websites. Most of them come in a so called codec to be able to view a video.

Formating is always the last solution.

Kind regards,

Niels

• my friend also got this infection and we ran smithfraudfix in safe mode and it got rid of it, he had AVG free on and was on internet explorer

• csalgau
    Options

If you still have problems, please download AVIS and attach a BitDefender and an AVIS log to your next post. Thank you.