Safe Files does not stop applications from modifying data

I activated the safe files feature in Bitdefender Total Security 2018 and added some folders to it.However, all installed applications can still read and modify files present in those folders.Bitdefender does not even show any warning about any program trying to modify files.What could be the issue ?

I am running Bitdefender 2018 on Windows 10 1709.

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

/index.php?/profile/212950-ankurd521/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/212950-ankurd521/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="212950" rel="">@AnkurD521

It is my understanding that the Safe Files protection component does not block known, legitimate applications.  It focuses on what it considers unknown, potentially dangerous, applications.  I run BDTS 2018.  It does block some new program installations, if it does not recognize the installer files, on my computers.

Personally, I would be annoyed if I had to add legitimate programs like Windows Notepad, Word, Excel, WordPerfect, etc., to the Safe Files exclusion list.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• 9 minutes ago, garioch7 said:

/index.php?/profile/212950-ankurd521/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="212950" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/212950-ankurd521/" rel="">@AnkurD521

It does block some new program installations, if it does not recognize the installer files, on my computers.

It's great if it works that way.Would you mind sharing what specific program BDTS blocked from accessing files in safe folders ? I need to see if it's actually working and gauge it's effectiveness.

Thanks

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

/index.php?/profile/212950-ankurd521/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/212950-ankurd521/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="212950" rel="">@AnkurD521

The Farbar Recovery and Scan Tool (FRST) is one such application that was blocked from writing its scan log files to my Desktop folder.

I hope this helps.  I normally turn ATD and SF off when I am installing new programs because it seems to always interfere with the installation files.  After the install, I turn all the protection back on.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• 21 hours ago, garioch7 said:

/index.php?/profile/212950-ankurd521/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="212950" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/212950-ankurd521/" rel="">@AnkurD521

The Farbar Recovery and Scan Tool (FRST) is one such application that was blocked from writing its scan log files to my Desktop folder.

I hope this helps.  I normally turn ATD and SF off when I am installing new programs because it seems to always interfere with the installation files.  After the install, I turn all the protection back on.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Thanks for the reply. Bitdefender did allow FRST to write to my safe folders,however this may not be an indication of the safe folders feature not working as you noted above that bitdefender flags only those programs it considers suspicious,in my case it could be that bitdefender considered it harmless.

I have a final question to ask before I ask support about this,do programs that have write permission to your safe folders that you didn't manually add to the "Application Access" list appear in that list ? My list is empty.

• Sergiu C.
    Sergiu C.
    edited January 2018

Hello, 

Only applications that have been blocked will show on the *Application Access* list, and of course any other applications you add manually. 

• On 1/26/2018 at 7:59 AM, AnkurD521 said:

I activated the safe files feature in Bitdefender Total Security 2018 and added some folders to it.However, all installed applications can still read and modify files present in those folders.Bitdefender does not even show any warning about any program trying to modify files.What could be the issue ?

It does block some new program installations, if it does not recognize the installer files, on my computers.

• On 1/26/2018 at 7:59 AM, AnkurD521 said:

I activated the safe files feature in Bitdefender Tota         Xender Discord Omegle    l Security 2018 and added some folders to it.However, all installed applications can still read and modify files present in those folders.Bitdefender does not even show any warning about any program trying to modify files.What could be the issue ?

It does block some new program installations, if it does not recognize the installer files, on my computers.