Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Can Bitdefender 10 Free Processes Be Stopped To Save Ram

Options

Hi,

I was using AVG 7.5 till date because of the low RAM usage. I am running 128 MB RAM on a P4 1.6 Ghz with XP SP2. I have a Dial up internet connection. I use spybot 1.6, and Kerio personal firewall ad Outlook express as my email client.

After I migrated to AVG 8 I found that it was slowing down the system terribly. I am planning to shift to Bit defender 10 free for a trial. I need to know a couple of things.

1. AVG was running 4 processes in the background the Memory usage ( not Virtual Memory ) was around 4MB. How much of Mem usage can I expect with Bit defender 10 free? ( I know it differs in different systems but give me an approx with an idle system. )

2. When I run trusted programs that are RAM intensive I used to kill all four processes of AVG. With AVG 8 however I cannot stop two processes. ( the resident shield and another, they can't be disabled from the Services dialog either, I guess they run on a layer below the OS )

Can I stop all Bit defender 10 processes including resident shield to save RAM, assuming I am offline and I am running a trusted program, or will I be unable to stop certain processes.

3. What will be the average size of the updates in MB assuming I update once a week. ( remember I use dialup )

4. Will I be able to use Gmail pop3 services with the Bit defender 10 Email scanner.

I looked through most of the forum for answers BEFORE posting, I did not find anything on Q2 and on the others the answers were very varied.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Comments

• Sm3K3R
    Sm3K3R ✭✭✭
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Hi,

I was using AVG 7.5 till date because of the low RAM usage. I am running 128 MB RAM on a P4 1.6 Ghz with XP SP2. I have a Dial up internet connection. I use spybot 1.6, and Kerio personal firewall ad Outlook express as my email client.

After I migrated to AVG 8 I found that it was slowing down the system terribly. I am planning to shift to Bit defender 10 free for a trial. I need to know a couple of things.

1. AVG was running 4 processes in the background the Memory usage ( not Virtual Memory ) was around 4MB. How much of Mem usage can I expect with Bit defender 10 free? ( I know it differs in different systems but give me an approx with an idle system. )

2. When I run trusted programs that are RAM intensive I used to kill all four processes of AVG. With AVG 8 however I cannot stop two processes. ( the resident shield and another, they can't be disabled from the Services dialog either, I guess they run on a layer below the OS )

Can I stop all Bit defender 10 processes including resident shield to save RAM, assuming I am offline and I am running a trusted program, or will I be unable to stop certain processes.

3. What will be the average size of the updates in MB assuming I update once a week. ( remember I use dialup )

4. Will I be able to use Gmail pop3 services with the Bit defender 10 Email scanner.

I looked through most of the forum for answers BEFORE posting, I did not find anything on Q2 and on the others the answers were very varied.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Dont understand me wrong ,but XP SP 2 works properly with 512 Mb RAM and the minimum recommended is 256Mb RAM.The amount of RAM you are using now is extremely low and you may end up with a broken hard drive.Your system will be faster with at least 256Mb RAM unde XP.

BD 2008 AV seemed much lighter on my old rig than BD 10 ,you should try it.You can also use BD 10 free, but it doesnt have real time protection.