Blue Screen of death Windows 10 - driver_irql_not_less_or_equal ( netio.sys)

Why I am getting Blue Screen of death Windows 10 - driver_irql_not_less_or_equal ( netio.sys)

20180730_184829.jpg.7a323f13389045b2c6203b151d83ae9c.jpg

Comments

• Are you possibly running more than one type of security software and specifically which version of BD do you have installed? There seem to be many that are experiencing this exact error with several other types of security software, and more likely to happen when running combinations of software. Extensive discussion about this exact error being worked on by Malwarebytes for many weeks and they still haven't been able to resolve it in their software. I was encountering it regularly when running their MB3 software and since uninstalling it several weeks ago the problem has not recurred. 

• I am using Bitdefender Total Security 2019, Yes I am also using Malwarebytes. So uninstalled Malwarebytes then let me check. I will update if we get one more Blue Screen error.

• 1 minute ago, Nirjonadda said:

I am using Bitdefender Total Security 2019, Yes I am also using Malwarebytes. So uninstalled Malwarebytes then let me check. I will update if we get one more Blue Screen error.

I believe the BSOD NETIO.SYS error will go away without MB installed. Alternatively according to most reports you can also keep MB3 installed but with Realtime protection disabled and that should also avoid the problem. MB suggests in that case that you can also run their browser extension beta (for Chrome or FF) which provides essentially the same functionality. Please update us on your status but I think you should eliminate that dreaded BSOD! ;)

• Nirjonadda
    edited July 2018

5 minutes ago, Bill_k said:

Realtime protection disabled

Where this option? Please can you show me any ScreenShot from this setting? So we can going installing Malwarebytes with disabling Realtime protection. One more ask, Using Malwarebytes browser extension beta, no need MB installed?

• Bill_k
    edited July 2018

35 minutes ago, Nirjonadda said:

Where this option? Please can you show me any ScreenShot from this setting? So we can going installing Malwarebytes with disabling Realtime protection. One more ask, Using Malwarebytes browser extension beta, no need MB installed?

I have uninstalled MB completely on my system so I can't give you a screen shot, but found the following instructions to prevent the BSOD. Actually you only disable Web Protection under Real-Time Protection which can effectively be replaced with the browser extension beta. You access these settings in the Settings section under the Protection tab. And yes you can run the browser extension without having MB installed.

The following information was taken from the MB forum for your easy reference.

1. Make sure you are on Malwarebytes 3.5.1 with latest Component Package version. You can check this under Settings -> About inside of Malwarebytes.

2. Disable the Web Protection, but leave all other protection modules enabled. You can do this under Settings -> Protection.

More details about their browser extensions:

For anyone affected by this issue who is running with Web Protection disabled, if you are using Chrome (or any Chromium source code based browser, including SRWare Iron, Chromium etc.) or Firefox (or any other Mozilla source code based browser) you may install the Malwarebytes browser extension beta.  While it doesn't replace entirely the functionality of the Web Protection component, it can at least help make your web browsing much safer than having no protection.  It doesn't necessarily block all of the malicious content that the Web Protection module does, but it does have the ability to block some things that Web Protection doesn't because it uses signature-less behavior based detection to block specific types of web threats including tech support scam sites, clickbait links (which are often host to malware and/or exploits), phishing sites, ads and ad tracking servers and more.  When used alongside the Web Protection component it can actually make your browsing faster since it connects to the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes 3 to augment its functionality so when this issue with Web Protection is fixed, you can keep using the plugin to reap its benefits, but until then at least you'll have some protection when surfing the web.

The plugins are available at the following links along with more info about them:

Chrome

Firefox

For the moment they are free for anyone to use, however I do not know if that will be the case once they come out of beta as they may be integrated into Malwarebytes 3 as one of its Premium features for paid users.  I haven't received final confirmation on what the company plans to do with them after testing is completed so I definitely recommend taking advantage of them for now while they are still available to everyone free of charge (even if you aren't using the paid version of Malwarebytes).

You can disable notifications about protection being turned off if you wish on the Settings page under Applications, turning off notifications if Real-Time Protection is turned off.

This discussion has been closed.