BUG - External hard drives won't eject with Bitdefender

Comments

• edited September 2018

Yet another "external HDD constant activity" sufferer here............

Didn't we have something very similar to this on a previous upgrade?

If you can't fix it promptly why not allow regression to BD 2018 for those who are affected?

After all lots of users are watching and hearing their expensive external HDDs spinning and wearing pointlessly as a result of the upgrade to BD 2019.

• The same bad problem, all my external USB-HDD's, SSD's and sticks are endangered (See also my post on German forum)!!!

I had opened a support-ticket, but no answer till today. Top urgent for apparently many customers. If no fix comes very soon, I leave BD.

• On 9/11/2018 at 8:28 PM, SageWolf said:

Open "Service.exe" find "Windows Management Instrumentation" and "Right Click" on the service and select "Restart"...wait for the process to finish and close "Services.exe"

This does NOT work on my Win10 system.

• I had the same issue with Bitdefender not allowing USB drives to cleanly disconnect.  I also had issues with Ransomware Mediation wiping out several of my Usenet search programs along with several issues with Firefox.  I liked Bitdefender 2018 but the 2019 update has created more problems than I'm willing to deal with so, for the time being, I revived my Norton's subscription.  If the Bitdefender folks fix the numerous problems that 2019 has caused I'll come back to it but not until then.

• komturkomtur ✭✭
    edited September 2018

22 hours ago, Sergiu C. said:

Unfortunately no ETA at this time, though the issue is considered a high priority one. 

Well, it doesn't sound good. :(

The problem is really annoying, it's not a negligible small thing. It looks as if we are all using a beta version, not the final software... I hope that the fixed version will be available quickly. I don't even have to connect anything to the USB port. My computer flashes with the HDD LED endlessly about every second (actually three of my computers - all with Bitdefender 2019).  Restarting the winmgmt service helps, but it's a very provisional solution.

• Guys

Because I was really starting to get enough of all this, last night I posted few lines on the French forum. I was quite pushy and BD answer this morning was : 

Nous sommes vraiment désolés pour les inconvénients provoqués par cette situation.

Je vous assure que nous avons pris la mesure de cette problématique. Le correctif est à priori en finalisation et va être testé avant déploiement, nous faisons le maximum pour corriger la situation.

Means something like : 

We are very sorry for the inconvenience driven by this situation. I can assure that we have taken the right measure of this problem. The fix is at a finilization stage and will be tested prior deployment. We do our best to correct this situation 

So let's see

Marc

• On 9/11/2018 at 2:28 PM, SageWolf said:

After doing some research and I found a Windows 10 work around to stop BDTS 2019 from causing anything connected to USB to continually blink.

Open "Service.exe" find "Windows Management Instrumentation" and "Right Click" on the service and select "Restart"...wait for the process to finish and close "Services.exe"

The connected blinking USB devices should stop blinking and work as usual.  You will however have to preform this procedure the next time you restart Windows 10 but it does work until then.  Hope this helps some people until they find a permanent fix for this issue.  Good Luck

Screenshot (35).png

This does work but Bitdefender needs to solve this. Or offer some sort of rebate.

• Rebate...LMAO!  I submitted support ticket about multiple issues including this one with the 2019 version and because it was 5 days past 30 this was their response"

" As per our refund policy, we can issue a refund within the first 30 days from the date of purchase. After checking your account we have noticed that you exceeded that period of time and we are unable to process a refund; however, you have all of our attention if you wish to give our product another chance. "

Even though I've been dealing with these issues for weeks which would put me before the 30 day period they refused to budge so there's no chance of you getting anything from Bitdefender!  The problem is that they chose to build a PRETTY looking program with the 2019 product line without caring about it working properly.  Every day more and more posts are included here on the forums and with every so called fix, another problem and issue arises.  If this ever gets fixed hold on for the worse problem that happens due to it.  The issues get worse with every fix!  It's a shame when I loved the 2018 version that caused ZERO issues for me!!!

• edited September 2018

13 hours ago, Grant said:

This does work but Bitdefender needs to solve this. Or offer some sort of rebate.

Ok, Grant, thanks.

But why, the he** , the customers shall do the work, its up to BD!

BD is history for me, goodbye!

• I don't think it makes sense to fall into hysteria. It is indeed a nasty slip-up, but let's give the Bitdefender a chance. I hope, however, that they will correct this mistake relatively quickly. Bitdefender is still one of the most effective programs in its class. This does not change the fact that testing the program before it is released on the market should be better...

• @Komtur

Cannot believe what i am reading.... are you getting stocks or interest from BD.

A slip-up ? Not sure i got it but millions of customers are just on their way to kill their drives

Give a chance to BD, sorry but they have had already one month to fix this. Believe me, i have been 30 years in IT and such a bug would have been priority one

Most effective program, i agreed with this statement up to V2019. Such a company cannot create a so big mess with people like you just writing  "not a big deal" (unless you got good reason to support them)

A company like BD got to realease good updates or at least to fix bugs asap.

I trusted them (all my ten family stations are equiped with BD) and still doing it but day after day my feeling is changing

(Sorry for the english...  i am French and just mad)

• komturkomtur ✭✭
    edited September 2018

I am also in IT. ;) And I am also very angry about this situation. And I have quite a lot of experiences with various antivirus programs. To be honest, I had problems with all of them. Not only Bitdefender is causing problems. I have seen much worse problems / crashes than the one we are now writing about... 

First of all, I think it would be really good if Bitdefender did more thorough testing of its products. This is their main problem.

• If waiting longer means getting a proper fix with no other unintentional bugs, then I don't mind the wait.

Bitdedender is well known for fixing their mistakes, so I'll hold onto that. 

Arguing, swearing and submitting a million tickets is not going to help anyone. 

• The problem is the additional load on the drives. At least on my machine, when external USB drives are attached, their read/write heads are permanently moving. This probably reduces their lifespan. This is what I'm concerned about the most (besides not being able to eject the drives). I think I have to uninstall Bitdefender until this bug is fixed. I don't know what else I could do as I always need the external drives being attached.

• edited September 2018

Still tearing my hair out with this one. Why was the update to 2019 forcefully pushed in the first place? We're clients not beta testers. :(

• Jay-ZJay-Z
    edited September 2018

"Bitdefender is well known for fixing their mistakes"...LOL!  Around 20 plus days give or take and still waiting for a fix.  Also, why is that most of these issues and problems started happening after their "update error" fix was implemented.  I never had a USB nor a system resource hogging issue until after I restarted my PC after that fix.  You don't even want to know how things look on the ticket side when they respond.  I got a response today telling me that after looking into it and researching further it was found that the developers have been made aware of the problem.  Something that was made aware in my earliest reply from BD weeks ago.  I asked this person if they even bother to read the messages before just sending a generic reply.

I'm with the majority of the posts here on the forum.  We didn't pay for a Beta, highly flawed and buggy version of a software that until 2019 I had ZERO issues with.  BD Internet Security 2018 worked like a well oiled piece of machinery.  Flawlessly.  With 2019 it seems that every day brings something new and more ridiculous then the previous day.  They are making us wait forever so some of go past our 30 day period and we can't even get a REFUND for this junky 2019 version.  That's the part that angers me the most.  I can't even get a refund even though I've waited almost a month and still no fix in sight.

• 16 hours ago, Jay-Z said:

"Bitdefender is well known for fixing their mistakes"...LOL!  Around 20 plus days give or take and still waiting for a fix.  Also, why is that most of these issues and problems started happening after their "update error" fix was implemented.  I never had a USB nor a system resource hogging issue until after I restarted my PC after that fix.  You don't even want to know how things look on the ticket side when they respond.  I got a response today telling me that after looking into it and researching further it was found that the developers have been made aware of the problem.  Something that was made aware in my earliest reply from BD weeks ago.  I asked this person if they even bother to read the messages before just sending a generic reply.

I'm with the majority of the posts here on the forum.  We didn't pay for a Beta, highly flawed and buggy version of a software that until 2019 I had ZERO issues with.  BD Internet Security 2018 worked like a well oiled piece of machinery.  Flawlessly.  With 2019 it seems that every day brings something new and more ridiculous then the previous day.  They are making us wait forever so some of go past our 30 day period and we can't even get a REFUND for this junky 2019 version.  That's the part that angers me the most.  I can't even get a refund even though I've waited almost a month and still no fix in sight.

My subscription is coming to an end in 15 days, so I'm withholding a reboot on my main PC for as long as possible as it's still running on the 2018 version.

I switched to Bitdefender in 2013 from another leading Consumer Internet Security Suite due to issues that weren't getting fixed, but the update to the latest version wasn't forced.

This is also not the first time I've experienced a serious issue with Bitdefender which severely impacted system functionality, and it probably won't be the last. I know this issue will be resolved eventually, I just wish we'd be kept in the loop on the progress, since it feels like there's no resolution in sight.

This fault can cause physical hardware damage if corrective measures aren't taken, and the average user is likely to be completely unaware of the issue. As such, fixing the issue should be a priority, not just something to be added to the minor bug fix queue.

The fact that there is still no ETA on a resolution is extremely poor show from the Bitdefender Team.

• The Bitdefender team doesn't seem to use its own product as this problem is so annoying they wouldn't want to live with it.

Remember that your product promises to make your customers life easier and hassle free. But instead you're doing to opposite and continuing to disappoint again. This won't be a sustainable business practice forever.

I did multiple clean uninstalls + installs of Bitdefender 2019 Build 23.0.10.31 and can confirm that Bitdefender is the root cause of not being able to safely remove USB devices anymore. This is a major problem for my daily workflow and so I'll be forced to use Windows Defender instead until you're willing to fix this problem - while paying for a product which doesn't fully work.

• edited September 2018

• Unable to remove usb mass storage devices

• Constant disk read activity on system drive (c:) as well as on all other volumes

• Increased power consumption (due to the previous disk activity issue)

All of these issues on two different pc (one based on AMD Ryzen, the other based on Intel series 7 CPU Kaby Lake). Did they rush the update for the "time to market"? At least they could roll back us to 2018 version.

Please have a deep test for the next release

P.S. Bitdefender IS 2019 is the root cause: uninstalling it fixes all the above issues. BIS 23.0.10.31 with Win 10 1803.17134.320

• Another week passes and still no fix nor end in sight.  I didn't even get a generic dumb response to my ticket reply that I sent on Thursday.  Has anybody ever in the history of Security Suite software ever come across another software that acted in the behavior that the 2019 version of Bitdefender is doing.  I've used Mcafee, Norton, AVG (back in early to mid 2000's), Avast and Kaspersky and never seen anything like this software.  It's a shame when I loved the 2018 version of Bitdefender which is why I renewed my license again this year.  That version was a dream come true to me.  It protected and caught so many possible threats that I never knew of which made me a very grateful and happy customer.  Don't know what happened to the company with this version.  Definitely didn't test it properly before releasing and forcing it upon us.

• 2 minutes ago, Jay-Z said:

Another week passes and still no fix nor end in sight.  I didn't even get a generic dumb response to my ticket reply that I sent on Thursday.  Has anybody ever in the history of Security Suite software ever come across another software that acted in the behavior that the 2019 version of Bitdefender is doing.  I've used Mcafee, Norton, AVG (back in early to mid 2000's), Avast and Kaspersky and never seen anything like this software.  It's a shame when I loved the 2018 version of Bitdefender which is why I renewed my license again this year.  That version was a dream come true to me.  It protected and caught so many possible threats that I never knew of which made me a very grateful and happy customer.  Don't know what happened to the company with this version.  Definitely didn't test it properly before releasing and forcing it upon us.

I call "time to market"...they were late in testing but they need to release 2019 version due to competitors. AV market is highly competitive....I'm so sorry to see that 2019 version is a total fail actually. I will wait a few more days...just for the fact I've got more than 90 days left in my licence account.

• The most frustrating and infuriating part of this is the ignorance of their support.  I just checked my email and this was the reply from them on my support ticket I opened over 2 weeks ago with lots of communication back and forth:

Today, 5:55 AM

Thank you for your patience.

We hope this email finds you well. We wanted to let you know that your request is currently being reviewed and you will receive a response as soon as possible.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Bitdefender Customer Care Team

All of the relevant and pertinent information being sent from me to them over the past 2 weeks is now gone and it's being started from the beginning again.  It's not even coming from their support department now.  It's coming from the Customer Care Team.  Things like that anger me.  Now I'm going to have to submit a bunch of useless stuff to them for them to come to the same conclusion I already knew for close to a month but will also get their dumb responses that aren't relevant to the problem again.  TOP NOTCH (sarcastic) support Bitdefender.

• I still use a trick to restart the service: net stop winmgmt, and then

net start winmgmt. It eliminates the problem with constant reading of disk C: at least. But how long can we wait?

• I for my part now decided to stop using Bitdefender 2019 as I'm not seeing a positive trend in regards to it's reliability and stability. Indeed it has one of the best detection capabilities while only having a minimal performance impact on the system - actually the perfect sweet spot. But this becomes useless if the tool itself continuously causes major stability and hardware issues.

This very USB eject issue causes my external enclosure to freeze completely and so it interrupted a major 15+ hours backup job. Last hardware problem was "/index.php?/topic/78480-important-windows-10-event-view/" rel="">Important, Windows 10 event view" which caused my SSDs SMART values to heavily degrade. This tool actually seems to damage my hardware which I cannot accept.

I have more than half a year left on my family package subscription but the amount of time = money Bitdefender debugging cost me is much more valuable.

I hope that this specific USB issue will be resolved soon and maybe Bitdefender will one day build a stable and reliable protection tool again - then I'll be back. Meanwhile I'm now using a different protection tool and I'm curious how well it'll compare to Bitdefender.

• Using latest Bitdefender 2019 (I'm using Total security build 23.0.10.31) and latest Windows 10. No other antivirus or malware packages (or anything likely to cause file locks).

ISSUE:

External hard drives won't eject with Bitdefender, tested with ESATA and USB.

STEPS TO REPRO:

a) Under Bitdefender 2019 goto Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Drives and devices. Make sure everything is disabled here.

b) Copy some files with your external hard drive. Afterwards close all windows (within windows 10). You should just see the desktop.

c) Try to eject/safely remove hard drive, you will get "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that migth be using the device and try again".

d) Download Process Explorer from sysinternals website, run it as Admin. Click Find on the menu bar of the app, enter here your drive letter for your external drive: e.g. "D:\" and click search.

e) You will find "VSSERV.EXE" appears (Bitdefender Virus shield), this is what is locking the file. I can prove it as well (please continue reading).

f) Click on the result (e.g. D:\), in the below pane you  should see "File D:\" displayed somewhere. Right click this value and close handle.

g) ** Now You can now safely eject the hard drive **.

SIDENOTES:

In Bitdefender 2019 - Turning off everything under "Protection" does not  make any difference.

This appears to be a bug.

Thanksyou.

• 36 minutes ago, NVMe said:

I for my part now decided to stop using Bitdefender 2019 as I'm not seeing a positive trend in regards to it's reliability and stability. Indeed it has one of the best detection capabilities while only having a minimal performance impact on the system - actually the perfect sweet spot. But this becomes useless if the tool itself continuously causes major stability and hardware issues.

This very USB eject issue causes my external enclosure to freeze completely and so it interrupted a major 15+ hours backup job. Last hardware problem was "/index.php?/topic/78480-important-windows-10-event-view/" rel="">Important, Windows 10 event view" which caused my SSDs SMART values to heavily degrade. This tool actually seems to damage my hardware which I cannot accept.

I have more than half a year left on my family package subscription but the amount of time = money Bitdefender debugging cost me is much more valuable.

I hope that this specific USB issue will be resolved soon and maybe Bitdefender will one day build a stable and reliable protection tool again - then I'll be back. Meanwhile I'm now using a different protection tool and I'm curious how well it'll compare to Bitdefender.

It's clear that all of this continuos disk activity is not healthy for a drive (no matter if its SSD or HDD). Time to uninstall Bitdefender 2019 until they release a patch. I will stay with Windows Defender for some days. Meanwhile they should really have an ETA for the patch....otherwise we'll loose trust.

• 3 hours ago, NVMe said:

I for my part now decided to stop using Bitdefender 2019 as I'm not seeing a positive trend in regards to it's reliability and stability. Indeed it has one of the best detection capabilities while only having a minimal performance impact on the system - actually the perfect sweet spot. But this becomes useless if the tool itself continuously causes major stability and hardware issues.

A couple of days ago I lost the contents of a 16GB SD card to this bug as well. Fortunately it wasn't anything that wasn't already backed up, but it still should never have happened.

After removing the drive and re-inserting it without ejecting, I was greeted with "The disk in drive F: is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

• Same problem here, I'm not sure it's healthy for my SSD and HDD

• 1 hour ago, jibi049 said:

Same problem here, I'm not sure it's healthy for my SSD and HDD

Well, my HDD on my one year laptop keep parking heads emitting a metallic sound every few minutes or so....can't understand what happened...I supposed a faulty driver update from HP or a faulty Windows Upgrade......since I removed BIS 2019....and just after that this noisy intermittent "crash" with forced parking disappeared....I'm running without that crash since hours...so I can imagine that BIS 2019 is involved in some sort of deep stress for HDD and SDD drives.

Better uninstall to keep drives and data safe...at least until they will fix this nasty bug. So sorry Bitdefender: you should be informed that this issue can stress hard drives so much

• Don't have a solution for you, but pull up task manager, go to performance tab, and check out "Read Speed" at the bottom for each of your drives. Bitdefender is reading from each drive at a rate of about 25-50kb/s. Other people have the same issue, per the Reddit forums. Since Bitdefender is constantly accessing each drive Windows won't let you eject them. One person contacted support like a month ago about this; they said they're working on a patch but here we are and it's still happening. 25kb/s for 30 days is about a 1GB/mo of useless writing. They'd better fix this soon; even if it's not too much data it's constant access and not giving the drives any rest. My subscription is ending soon so if there's not a fix soon I'm just gonna switch products. Please let me know if you've found a solution, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.