Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Update Eliminated Firewall

ersatz
ersatz
edited November 2018 in Protection

***** PERIODICALLY VERIFY THAT BITDEFENDER FIREWALL IS FUNCTIONAL ******

I have an automatically renewable Bitdefender Internet Security subscription for multiple devices.  It is set for automatic updating.  

Recently, I noticed that the classic Bitdefender interface changed.  Several new services were offered.  Seemingly, classic services were still there.  The Bitdefender "Green Check" showed that my system was still fully protected.  

Once a week I run a health check on my systems with a different third party software.  It reported that I had no firewall.  I checked Bitdefender, which showed that I still had an active firewall.  I double checked the third party software with a Windows 10 Security Center check.  It too reported that I had no active firewall.

Bitdefender still reported that I had full protection.  On the new Bitdefender interface I selected Protection, then Firewall, then Application Activity.  It reported that Bitdefender firewall was not connected, and there was no available option to turn it on.

Internet connectivity without a firewall is very dangerous, so through Windows 10 Control Panel, I selected System and Security.  From the Control Panel Home options on the left, I selected Turn Windows Defender Firewall On Or Off, and then turned on Windows Defender for all networks. 

With the Windows Defender Firewall turned on, I searched the internet for solutions.  There were multiple threads about Windows 10 updates interfering with Bitdefender.  I methodically worked through all of them on my main computer.  None of them repaired the Bitdefender firewall, including uninstalling Bitdefender and reinstalling it.  I manually updated Bitdefender again.  No  change.

Finally, I wrote a bitterly complaining email to Bitdefender support.  Bitdefender did not reply except for an automated ticket number directing me to look at Bitdefender solutions.  None of which discussed this situation.

About 8 hours later, I turned on my main computer.  The Bitdefender firewall was now available and connected.  I checked my other computers, which are by default not connected to the internet.  Bitdefender firewall was still unavailable.  I connected to the internet and again updated.  After that update, my devices now reported Bitdefender firewall was active and connected.

Comments