Bitdefender Internet Security is not allowing access to device on home network.

Betdefender Internet Security on Windows 10 (1809) is not allowing access to a device on my parents home network. The device in question is a CCTV box, which requires Internet Explorer to access it using an ocx control. When Bitdefender is first installed, the box can be accessed, and to ensure this a firewall rule has been set to always allow access. Despite this, as soon as Bitdefender does its first update, access is blocked. How can I find out exactly what is happening, and how can I rectify it?

Comments

• Some screenshots of the Bitdefender setup.

Makes no difference on setting up the rule for local/remote/both.

Makes no difference whether its all apps or Internet Explorer specified in the rule.

Makes no difference specifying any network, or ethernet - it's a desktop PC.

Bitdefender About 30012019 210216.bmp

Fullscreen capture 30012019 210308.bmp

Fullscreen capture 30012019 210314.bmp

• Hi,

Can you confirm that the issue is from Firewall? Can you access the device if the Firewall is disabled?

• After visiting my parents tonight, I have been able to ascertain that the problem is with the 'Advanced Threat Defense'.

It took some time, disabling the various protection modules in turn, rebooting between each one to ascertain this. Eventually it was determined that the 'Advanced Threat Detection' was the cause of the problem, and the only way to mitigate it, was to create a rule to say that Internet Explorer was a safe application! Not exactly ideal for a web browser!

Can anyone tell me of a better solution?

• Hi Steve,

Any idea if the CCTV box in question requires a dedicated browser plug-in or extension to be installed?

Its possible that said plug-in is the one crashing with ATD on and not the video stream/browser directly.

• I did say in the first post it uses an ocx. Not 100% sure it is actually an ocx, but it definitely requires a plug-in. If access to the CCTV box is blocked, a page is continually presented to download, and install the required plug-in. Are there any logs that I can find to see what is actually happening, as either disabling Active Threat Detection, or creating a rule to say Internet Explorer is completely safe is not exactly a satisfactory solution.

• Hi Steve,

Thanks for your follow-up.

Yes, we could use a set of logs to further investigate this but enabling them requires a set of tools that i can't attach here.

I've sent you an email on this topic, we can continue from there.

• Will be visiting my parents tomorrow, should be able to post some logs for you afterwards.

• definitely requires a plug-in. If access to the CCTV box is blocked, a page is continually presented to download, and install the required      Xender Discord Omegle

This discussion has been closed.