Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Help with BD install AntiVirus v.10- Win98

Options

I am trying to help a friend with WIN98 and dial-up service install BD Anti-Virus. Customer services swears it is compatible with Win98. She ran the trial V.9 without any problems but once she purchased and tried to install v.10 it has been nothing but problems and customer support has only told her to "re-install." I've just completed doing it 3 times-- It takes 3-5 hours to download. The first time I installed it was OK until after we updated and then it wouldn't allow her to connect to her ISP. Support said to uninstall and I did and she was able to connect to her ISP. Then I was told to re-install and disable RT protection. I re-installed and it solved that problem and was running fine until I did an "update" and then I got error messages saying "1)Error starting program The LIVESRV.EXE file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DDOpenThread

2) The BDFLTIB.DLL is linked to the missing exportADVAP132.DLLqueryServiceStatu###

3) Failed to start the Virus Shield. Please launch the program again.

I was told the only solution was to uninstall and reinstall one more time. This time a message came up saying, "there is a newer version, do you want to download that"-- I don't understand how a newer version could happen in just one day. I attempted to reinstall the "old" version and got the message which said "there is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your vendor" and the install aborted. So, I decided to DL the newer/newest version-- several hours later I tried to install that and again got the "there is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your vendor" message but this time the install continued AND a report to BD was generated and sent off. The install completed, I rebooted and got the error message ""Error starting program, A required .DLL file.BDSUBMIT.DLL, was not found."

I am at my wits end, I've spent hours and hours and hours on trying to install this, talking to support, sending emails, being on hold on the phone --, tonight it was more than 40 minutes before I gave up, I've re-installed 3 times. Does this product v.10 actually work? Is it compatible with Win 98? Why am I having so many problems and what is the answer?

Comments

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi moondanc,

As it says on the web-page, BD AV 10 and BD AV Plus 10 are compatible with Windows 98 SE. Only BD IS 10 can run only on Windows 2000/XP.

The possible problems (which come to my mind right now) are these:

1) your friend is not running Windows 98 SE, but Windows 98 (which is not supported)

2) when you uninstalled the previous versions of BD there was something left which conflicts with the new installation.

The first possible problem has a simple solution: get a Windows 98 SE kit and upgrade. (of course, first of all, check if you aren't already running Windows 98 SE. Don't rush to reinstall Windows, because it might not be necessary).

The second problem can be fixed by using the BitDefender Uninstall Tool (this is a small tool of about ~0.9MB which will delete absolutely everything related to BitDefender from your system, so you can make a 100% clean install). After uninstalling BD, restart your system and try again to install BD.

If it still won't work (who knows, maybe they changed something in some modules and those modules stopped working on Windows 98 SE), you can go back to BitDefender 9 (the BD 10 license key works fine with that version).

I hope this helps.

Cris.

• moondanc
    edited June 2007
    Options

Hi Cris,

I did see that on the webpage where it says Win 98 SE. She is not running SE but Win98 HOWEVER BitDefender repeatedly assures me it IS compatible with all versions of Win 98!

2. I have used the uninstall tool each time before I re-install. It still doesn't work.

3. Support has responded to my latest email-- after telling them I re-installed 3 X and sending complete errors messages, etc. by telling me to Re-install again!!!! with no new information. They refuse to send me a CD unless I send them $10-- after all my problems and hours and hours of unsuccesful downloading and re-installing, after paying $30 for a product that doesn't work.

4. The first time I installed BD v.10, it screwed up V.9 and that no longer works. My friend has a dial-up connection which is Very, very, slow but as this point, I'm willing to have her re-install V.9. However, I don't know how to access it.

5. One good result of all this is that my friend is finally realizing she will need to buy a new computer some day soon. I don't want to advise her to spend the money for a 98SE upgrade.

Thanks for your help and any other suggestions.

Hi moondanc,

As it says on the web-page, BD AV 10 and BD AV Plus 10 are compatible with Windows 98 SE. Only BD IS 10 can run only on Windows 2000/XP.

The possible problems (which come to my mind right now) are these:

1) your friend is not running Windows 98 SE, but Windows 98 (which is not supported)

2) when you uninstalled the previous versions of BD there was something left which conflicts with the new installation.

The first possible problem has a simple solution: get a Windows 98 SE kit and upgrade. (of course, first of all, check if you aren't already running Windows 98 SE. Don't rush to reinstall Windows, because it might not be necessary).

The second problem can be fixed by using the BitDefender Uninstall Tool (this is a small tool of about ~0.9MB which will delete absolutely everything related to BitDefender from your system, so you can make a 100% clean install). After uninstalling BD, restart your system and try again to install BD.

If it still won't work (who knows, maybe they changed something in some modules and those modules stopped working on Windows 98 SE), you can go back to BitDefender 9 (the BD 10 license key works fine with that version).

I hope this helps.

Cris.

• Hi, moondanc.

You tried to install BD 10 while you still had BD 9 installed on your computer? Because this could cause your problems.

Do you use any other security software?

Andrei

• vladx
    edited June 2007
    Options

Hello moondanc

I understand you wouldn't upgrade to Win98SE only to use Bitdefender, but Win98 SE it's a really a deserved upgrade as it brings many improvements, including some fixed bugs. ;)

• Support *finally* told me-- after telling me the opposite-- that v.10 AV is NOT compatible with Win98. So, we're going to re-load V. 9 and see if it works as well as it did in the beginning. As far as upgrading to Win98 SE-- I want to get as far away from Win98 as I can. I'm encouraging her to buy a new computer and get XP loaded-- I want to stay away from Vista also. Thanks for all the help.

Hello moondanc

I understand you wouldn't upgrade to Win98SE only to use Bitdefender, but Win98 SE it's a really a deserved upgrade as it brings many improvements, including some fixed bugs. ;)