Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitcomet 0.70 is slow w/ BD

Options
verovone
edited June 2007 in General talk

Hi, just installed BD 10

working great so far

internet speed and surfing is fine and normal, but when I start Bitcomet(mine ver 0.7) it will start to slow down all the rest including surfing speed and downloading speed.

Any guide to setup the port or firewall or anythings?

quite frustrated about this, coming from NOD32 previously. It didn't have such problems :(

Thanks in advance :)!

Later edit: I am using utorrent 1.6.1 and it seems fine now..

will see if indeed bitcomet is the problem.

Comments

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited June 2007
    Options

Hi verovone,

It could be a BitComent problem.

Another solution would be to give the BitComet rule a higher priority. This only applies to BitDefender Internet Security (you didn't say which BD you are using):

Open BitDefender Management Console, go to Firewall -> Traffic, click on Edit Profile and search for the BitComet rule in both Inbound and Outbound lists. When you find them, move them to the top.

I don't know how BitComet works, but BitDefender might be blocking it's ports so it could revert to using port 80 for all traffic which will cause a massive speed drop. By changing the rules priority in BitDefender, BitComet should be able to use it's ports correctly so there won't be speed drops.

Also, what I said above applies to uTorrent (and DC++) clients.

Cris.

• verovone
    edited June 2007
    Options

Hi Cris,

don't think it's the BD hrm..

I just tried to shut down the BD and tried again.

with utorrent on, the surfing speed crawls and without it it's back to normal.

strange never encountered this kind of problem before ...

could it be the router settings?

• Niels
    Options

Hi veryone

Yes it could be your router settings. Go to your router configuration page by enter this into your browser:192.168.1.1 after that go to advanced settings (that can be different that is for my router the case),firewall,see if you can open the necessary ports for BitComet. If you can't try to enable dmz than you must be able to connect properly.

But you may not forget that you first have to set a reasonable uploadspeed and also that there are many peers available because that will slowdown your downloadspeed also.

Regards

Niels

• ok I did port forwarding and all.

While BT works alright , surfing is nowhere as snappy as when BT is not on.

I am zooming it on 1 possibility: the router can't handle massive traffic well (BT).

Is there a good chance that I would've solved this problem if I change to a good new router? heard the d-link 655 is very good in handling and very fast as well.

Just want to make some assurances, before I plunge to get it, since it's not chea.p either.

• Niels
    Options

Hi verovone

Sometimes it could be that your router overheated. So you can try to unplug the powercable of your router for 5 minutes. Plug it in and see if your speed is reasonable again. I don't know if it's in your country the case that your isp has upload and download limits. When you exceed them you will get slower internet. Your internetspeed depends also on what kind of internet contract you made with your isp. In the past d-link routers overheated very quickly I don't now if it's still the case. You may not forget that when running a p2p program that will reduce your internet speed.

Regards

Niels

• I don't use torrents so I can't vouch for this firsthand, but I once read that torrents can really slow down a machine if you have your upload speed set too high. The gist of the information was "make sure your maximum upload speeds are set properly - if you upload too fast, it will choke your entire net connection, both torrent downloads and other browsing."

• Hi guys,

thanks alot. I think setting it low and limiting no of connection really does wonders.

Now I am almost back to 'normal' speed , which is great :D

Thanks once again for all the help

• Niels
    Options

Glad that we could help you.

Regards

Niels