Lengthy scans

Because full scans were taking so long, I created a custom scan so that only new or changed files would be scanned.  (Inconveniently, that option is no longer available on standard full scans.)  Even so, scans are taking more than three hours uninterrupted on my Windows 8 computer that has less than 80 GB of programs and data.  My memory is that full scans used to be much faster on this same machine, so I don't think it's due to processor speed.  Any idea why - or what I can do to speed things up?

Comments

• Hello /index.php?/profile/194274-bleb-nevus/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="194274" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/194274-bleb-nevus/" rel="">@Bleb Nevus,

This behavior is normal since in the latest updates we have changed the priority of the Scans so that the device will be more usable during the scanning process.

If you're concerned about this, you can always send us the description above and a support tool log for analysis at bitsy@bitdefender.com

We'll have it processed and see if everything is in order.

Thank you and have a great day!

• Thanks for the reply.  My experience is that the scans still do slow down my system.  But even if they didn't, that begs the question, which is why should a scan of new/changed files take more than 3 hours?

• Hi Bleb,

Currently, we've opted for a more slow and low resource usage scanning process by default.

If you want to instead go for fast and resource intensive I'd recommend creating a custom scan task as follows:

- open Bitdefender and click on Protection from the side-menu

- click on Manage scans under the Antivirus column

- create a new scan task, name it and select the areas to cover ( or choose everything)

- switch the scan task priority from Auto to High

- every other setting is up to you

Have a great day ahead!

• I'll give that a try.  Many thanks.

• In my case it has been fast in the first analysis of the complete system (500 GB of hard disk to analyze) to trorda 40 minutes. Very good for bitdefender