Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Ports found open?

Options

Hi everyone! I have a problem. I went on www.securizare.ro, I performed the on-line anti hacker scan and I have this: "open and unsecure: POP3 Mail Server Port". What does it mean, what can I do?

PS: I did that scan before, and I had the result that all ports were secure, but now...

Comments

• AndreiASM
    edited June 2007
    Options

Hi, Arina!

POP3 (Post Office Protocol) is used to read e-mails. The port may be opened, but I you don't have to worry if you have a firewall installed. There is a server running on port 110 (POP3) only on mail servers, and it shouldn't run on a PC. A host may establish a connection on youre PC on port 110, but that connection should be closed shortly by youre machine.

What firewall do you have?

Andrei

• khufu
    Options

That port is use for POP3mail(port 110) by mail software. Probably you have opened an Email client.

You could run a port scan here : www.grc.com and find ShildsUP link.

If you are behind of router or NAT then the scan refers to ISP router.

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi Arina,

I assume you're using BitDefender IS, right? (you didn't say which version you use).

Are the rest of the ports Secured or Closed?

I've run the test you posted, and I think that it shows some breach in the BD Firewall.

BitDefender should stealth all ports (open, or closed) if you're using BD IS and you have the Invisible Mode option enabled. On the GRC-ShieldsUP! (the link that khufu posted), all ports (in my case) appear as Stealth. That's a good thing.

But, on securizare.ro I get Open on ports 80 and 443 (I think it's because I have a webserver running on my PC).

Also, on GRC, when I make the test, BD alerts me that There was a port scanning attempt. On the other hand, on securizare.ro, I get no such warnings (the test takes a lot longer on this site, and I think this prevents BD from detecting the port scanning attempt). So, this might really be a BD breach.

Cris.

• Arina
    edited June 2007
    Options

I only have the Windows firewall, as for the antivirus I have Avira not BD. Sorry, I entered this forum because I liked what I found here. I have been on other forums about computers and they didn't seem so ...?good?

• Hi Arina!

Windows Firewall will provide only the basic protection against applications which try to connect to the internet. I don't know how good is with other chapters. Avira is a good AV, maybe one of the best.

You don't have to be a BD user to join our forum! :D Everybody is welcome here, no matter what security solutions is using.

However, you should think in installing a better firewall, since windows firewall will provide only the basics.

Andrei

• alexcrist
    Options

OK... so, in your case, it has nothing to do with BD. But my results still indicate something strange about BD.

Also, you should install a real firewall. The Windows firewall is just something that makes you "think" you are secure, but it's not secure at all (just like IE isn't).

Back to "open and unsecure: POP3 Mail Server Port": as the other users said, that port should be closed if you don't have a MailServer running on your PC and if you're not using any Mail Clients. Try to close all applications (that might connect through POP3 port) and repeat the test. See if anything changes.

Cris.

• Hi Arina!

To make sure that the POP3 port is opened or not, open cmd.exe (go to Start -> Run -> Cmd <ENTER>). Then, type in the following command:

telnet localhost 110

Telnet will attempt to establish a connection on your own computer, on POP3 port. Post if the attempt fails, or if telnet can open a connection.

• Arina
    Options
    Hi Arina!

To make sure that the POP3 port is opened or not, open cmd.exe (go to Start -> Run -> Cmd <ENTER>). Then, type in the following command:

telnet localhost 110

Telnet will attempt to establish a connection on your own computer, on POP3 port. Post if the attempt fails, or if telnet can open a connection.

It failed. And about the firewall, in my other topic "It security" someone give an example of firewall, comodo. If the windows firewall is on, is there any problem if I try to install this comodo firewall? I mean, this comodo asked me to uninstall any other firewall, if I had another one active ...or something like that.

• AndreiASM
    edited June 2007
    Options

Hi Arina!

You can't uninstall Windows Firewall, but you can disable it. You should disable it before installing other firewalls.

Go to Control Panel (Start -> Control Panel),and choose Windows Firewall. Then check the Off (not recommanded) checkbox. You can then install another firewall.

EDITED: If the connection attempt failed, than the port is closed. You have nothing to worry about! ;)

Andrei

• Arina
    Options

Check the romanian forum please!

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi Arina,

I've merged your two topics. It's no need to start a new topic just to say this ;)

Cris.

• khufu
    Options

Before you install Comodo you should visit the Comodo forum and see how it`s work.

You should do the same with any firewall that you intend to install, because firewalls are more complex then antivirus software.

If you do not configure it properly you can lose you internet connection or you can make your pc unstable.

regards

khufu