Virus

2»

Comments

• ... fyi, this same problem started happening a few hours ago so I googled and found this thread.

... when I looked at the history it was obvious that bit 9 internet security was blocking the behind the scenes auto detect-download of my firefox update to 2.0.0.18.

... so, I guess its another headache for the bit techies to sus out. cheers all.

post-2600-1226546248_thumb.jpg

• ... fyi, this same problem started happening a few hours ago so I googled and found this thread.

... when I looked at the history it was obvious that bit 9 internet security was blocking the behind the scenes auto detect-download of my firefox update to 2.0.0.18.

... so, I guess its another headache for the bit techies to sus out. cheers all.

Yep it is when firefox tries to download an update... BD isnt allowing it to update at all.. so each time it tries, it gets blocked... I wonder if there is a way around this?

I looked at Help on firefox when I got the pop up and sure enough it was trying to update so I hit restore on BD and it totally locked things up so that isnt the solution either lol

:wacko:

• pjw
    pjw
    edited November 2008
    Yep it is when firefox tries to download an update... BD isnt allowing it to update at all..

I was having the same problem ("virus-unknown"). After reading your post, I checked the Help-->Update menu in Firefox, and there was an "update" graphic there, just spinning away like crazy--seemed to be stuck. I went ahead and just clicked it and it seems to have forced an update (rather than Firefox checking and then telling me one was available).

I haven't gotten the "virus" pop-up since I went ahead and forced the update (and I was getting it every 20-30 minutes like clockwork), so like webwizards said above, it seems to be BD having a problem with Firefox's update check rather than Firefox's update process itself.

This was with:

Bitdefender Total Security 2009

Firefox 3.0.4 (or, I guess, whatever version was right before that).

I'll post again (with log) if I get another pop-up, but I suspect this has solved it for me.

• I'm getting the same error from BD. when I checked my firefox, indeed it was trying to update. So I did the same thing the guy above me did. I force updated my firefox (I'm HOPING that wasn't a bad thing I did) and so far I haven't gotten the message yet. Still observing it tho.

Meanwhile, I've performed a deepscan just now which showed no more threats. The first deep scan that I did earlier today showed 2 threats. One could not be deleted, the other one was quarantined. So I manually deleted the FILE that was infected using BD's FILE SHREDDER. Does that solve the problem? And then I removed it manually as well in the quarantine vault, DOES THAT SOLVE THE PROBLEM AS WELL? I dont know if that has anything to do with the error message I get from BD.

• I'm getting the same error from BD. when I checked my firefox, indeed it was trying to update. So I did the same thing the guy above me did. I force updated my firefox (I'm HOPING that wasn't a bad thing I did) and so far I haven't gotten the message yet. Still observing it tho.

Meanwhile, I've performed a deepscan just now which showed no more threats. The first deep scan that I did earlier today showed 2 threats. One could not be deleted, the other one was quarantined. So I manually deleted the FILE that was infected using BD's FILE SHREDDER. Does that solve the problem? And then I removed it manually as well in the quarantine vault, DOES THAT SOLVE THE PROBLEM AS WELL? I dont know if that has anything to do with the error message I get from BD.

BD is definitely having a problem with the FireFox updater, I was having the same problem with a BD pop-up informing me of a virus infection. After looking at this forum I looked at the Help for Firefox and found that it was trying to update. I manually updated Firefox and the BD pop-up problem went away. I ran deepscan and found no virus infections. From the posts on this forum, this problem has been around for awhile, you'd think BD would discovered what was causing the pop-up problem. Anyway I'm happy it's something stupid and not serious.

• Hi, I am new to this forum, But have been using BitDefender for a while now. I am geting the same message. Not sure what it is. I would like to know where the virus is and what unknown viurs it is.. I am running bd 2009 internet security. I thought BD 2009 got all known viruses and trojans, but have to say it doesn't see everything. I like BD alot and recommend it. I ran a prgm called Malwarebytes and it found 75 more viruses, trojans and malware, that Bd did not find. That still did not fix the problem with the unknown virus issue. I updated firefox, I checked out Nero. Ran a BD deep scan, nothing found. I ran a malware scan found to 2 trojans called trojan.agent, malwarebytes quaranteened them. While I was doing malware scan BD unknown Virus popped up. I will do another BD deep scan. I hope Bit defender tec department fixes this issue. :(

thank you

• Hello this is a false positive caused by firefox I believe. Recently I changed my settings to aggressive, before I had not encountered this message simply called: Virus Location: unknown. It is caused by firefox updating, all I did was put it back on default and it started updating.

• I was having the same problem ("virus-unknown"). After reading your post, I checked the Help-->Update menu in Firefox, and there was an "update" graphic there, just spinning away like crazy--seemed to be stuck. I went ahead and just clicked it and it seems to have forced an update (rather than Firefox checking and then telling me one was available).

I haven't gotten the "virus" pop-up since I went ahead and forced the update (and I was getting it every 20-30 minutes like clockwork), so like webwizards said above, it seems to be BD having a problem with Firefox's update check rather than Firefox's update process itself.

This was with:

Bitdefender Total Security 2009

Firefox 3.0.4 (or, I guess, whatever version was right before that).

I'll post again (with log) if I get another pop-up, but I suspect this has solved it for me.

THANKS A LOT BJW. I have been experiencing the same problem described throughout this string, and I did what you suggested above. Voila, no more pesky BD popups. Just forcing a Firefox update seems to do the trick.

• Just to chime in, I bought and installed BD Internet Security 2009 for the first time yesterday and have it on three machines and one of them keep giving me this same pop up every time I ran Firefox.

As other have here I checked and sure enough there was FF program update download trying to get done.

I did it manually and it got rid of the pop up.

• As far as I'm told, this bug has been fixed in the latest release (12.0.11), which happened sometime in the last 2 days for the English version.

If anyone is still having this issue, please post here some details.

Cris.

• I also happen to get this same error while i am trying to check for updates for Windows Vista x64. (See attachment for details)

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bits and Bitdefender AV 2009.

As you can see on the screenshot, Windows Update gives an error saying it cant update and at the same time this annoying virus warning pops up.

(My windows and BD2009 are both in Dutch)

Anything i can do about this problem?

post-18816-1228902732_thumb.jpg

• Same problem here. This started about 2 or 3 days ago.

I have windows Vista 64-bit Dutch and Bitdefender Internet Security 2008-2009

• I don't have any problems with FF3, but my problem lies within:

C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\BackItUp_ImageTool\root.img=]root.img due to being overcompressed.

Nothing pops up or anything but it happens every time a deep scan is run. I'm thinking of adding this to the exclusions list, but I was wondering if there was a work-around (any settings and etc.).

TIA.

• Sm3K3R
    Sm3K3R ✭✭✭
    I don't have any problems with FF3, but my problem lies within:

C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\BackItUp_ImageTool\root.img=]root.img due to being overcompressed.

Nothing pops up or anything but it happens every time a deep scan is run. I'm thinking of adding this to the exclusions list, but I was wondering if there was a work-around (any settings and etc.).

TIA.

Is there a Virus warning ?(you are not clear what exactly happens)

If there is no Virus warning ignore it.