Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

So How Is The Spyware Protection?

Options
DoubleDizzle1
edited October 2008 in Malware talk

I am aware the virus protection with Bitdefender anti-virus 2009 is top notch. It caught 5 trojans that NAV 2008 obviously missed. My only frustrating problem is it will not work with the most recent version of Webroot's Spysweeper. Basically my PC locks up if I have both BD and Spysweeper running at the same time. When I disable Spysweeper everything works fine with no lock ups. This only started the moment I purchased and installed Bitdefender (it worked flawlessly with NAV 2008) I tried to call tech support in India, but all i get is someone picking up the phone and then hanging up without even saying "hello" (what manners...) <_< .

My main question is, how advanced and secure is the spyware protection of BD if I just ran it without Spysweeper? Needless to say, at this point, I obviously don't have a choice.

Signed,

Frustrated

P.S, sorry if there is already a thread about this. I searched, but did not find anything to answer my specific question.

ah, point taken. ;)

Comments

• Theoracle117
    edited October 2008
    Options

In comparison to webroots, i think they are pretty much the same.

Bitdefender is for dealing with both viruses and spyware and rootkits. So you might also want to take that into account.

• DoubleDizzle1
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Bitdefender is for dealing with both viruses and spyware and rootkits. So you might also want to take that into account.

Thanks. I am starting to come to the conclusion that the more sophisticated Anti-Virus apps become, the more of an "all-in-one" solution they are (which I always felt they should be). Therefore they start to conflict with the dedicated anti-spyware apps. Well I hope for the best. As I stated I just installed BD. That is the only thing running and my system resources are wonderful now. If the case is that I simply do not need the extra Anti-spyware app, so be it. No complaints. :D

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

You can use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware && SUPERAntispyware Free just for scan. :)

• Niels
    Options

Hello Double Dizzle,

What version of Spy Sweeper are you using? I mean does it include antivirus. I hope that you don't mean that you are performing a scan with BitDefender and Spy Sweeper on the same time.

You can always use a back-up antispyware scanner to get rid of new fake security scanners. BitDefender can detect many of them but some might not yet being detected.

Kind regards,

Niels

• DoubleDizzle1
    edited October 2008
    Options

Well I never been the one to put all my faith in anything. That goes for religion, government, politicians, and yes, security apps. But after a few days of using Bitdefender as my only security app, one word comes to mind... "Wow!". A lot of work and effort went in to making this application truly state of the art. I now realize how much I was missing with my former apps of choice. As I stated earlier, my first scan caught tons of Trojans that Norton missed.

Anyways, thanks for all your replies.

I hope that you don't mean that you are performing a scan with BitDefender and Spy Sweeper on the same time.

No, just having both Bitdefender and Spysweeper turned on was causing my PC to lock up. Uninstalled Spysweeper and everything was fine since then. Came to the conclusion that bitdefender has competent anti-spyware protection that causes Spysweeper to act silly. :wacko:

Having them both installed can make a Vista box unusable.

That "guy" would be me. ;)

• Sm3K3R
    Sm3K3R ✭✭✭
    Options
    Having them both installed can make a Vista box unusable.

Vista is usually unusable:)

• Vista is usually unusable:)

touché. Which is why I also have a Linux machine and OS X. However, my concern now is my Vista Box...

Although vista ranks my lowest, it is not really THAT bad as every non-vista user makes it out to be. But this isn't a ###### contest.

• So i guess you should really take BitDefender into account. It has protected my computer from computer terrorists for a while now.

Well I never been the one to put all my faith in anything. That goes for religion, government, politicians, and yes, security apps.

That is true to a point but it made me laugh. This should go in my scrapbook for awesome quotes :P

• Well I just viewed a youtube video of some guy installing BD AV 2009 on a computer that was LOADED with malware. While he was in the process of the install all kinds of fake pop ups were coming up. Once the install was finished, BD cleaned house.. I emailed the guy who made the video, he to had plenty of positive things to say about the app as an all-in-one security solution.