Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Question About Drivers\svchost.exe

Options

I am running BitDefender 2008 antivirus.

Recently, Zone Alarm said svchost.exe wanted access to the Internet. I denied it access, and after checking the Zone Alarm log, found a version of svchost.exe in the windows\system32\drivers directory. SDFix said it was a Trojan.

Apparently, BitDefender did not prevent whatever occurred to get it on my hard drive, and unfortunately I cleaned it off my system before I started researching things on this forum. I've run BitDefender, Windows Defender, and an online scan, which appear to indicate my computer is now clean.

Is there anything else I should do to make sure my computer is clean?

How can I prevent this from happening again?

Comments

• Theoracle117
    edited October 2008
    Options

svchost.exe is a system file. I am sure of it. Sdfix must have detected a false positive.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe it's scvhost.exe and not svchost.exe :)

• svchost.exe is a system file in the windows\system32 subdirectory.

The svchost.exe identified as a Trojan was in the windows\system32\drivers subdirectory.

I checked and had svchost.exe files in each subdirectory. Plus the svchost.exe file identified as a Trojan was about twice as large as the real svchost.exe file.

I was hoping to find out how it was likely delivered - were there other files that I should be deleting?

It irritates me that I can have my browser set up to require that I give a location for storing each file, and yet this file made it to the PC with no notice. Also, I did not download any exe files that could have harbored or otherwise put the file in the drivers subdirectory. I might have had java enabled but usually I only have java ****** enabled.

If the file was hidden in a jpg, html, or other web page, it should have been deleted when I closed my browser - I delete all history, cookies, ets., each time it is closed.