Bitdefender 8 Shuts Down Cd/dvd Burning-help

I have used CDburnXP for years to burn CD/DVD disks. Several versions of this software have been used without problems. Now I have installed BitDefenter 8 Internet Security and my disk burns always end with a frozen computer. I've run the older versions of CDburnXP and they also now freeze the computer. A computer reset is required to escape the problem.

I run Win XP SP3 with a fairly fast computer having plenty of RAM and Drive space.

I tried to "turn off" BD but it still freezes the computer. I don't think i'm interested in removing BD from the computer to test that, other have done this and then they can burn disks.

I do find that Nero does work with BD installed however I've read that some cannot do this either.

Can this be fixed or do I have to decide which software to stop using?

By the way, CDburnXP is a great freeware tool that I really like to use.

Fungus

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

I advise you tu update to a superior version of BitDefender.

BD 8 is very old.

• Sorry, I should have stated that I am using BDIS-2008 which isn't old.

Fungus

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

That's another thing :)

You can use you license and install BD IS 2009 :)

• Crysty:

Thank you for the advice however I do not want to upgrade to BDIS-2009 until I'm sure it is going to be a fix for my problem. I'll wait a while and read the forum concerning 2009 for a while.

I'd expect both versions should allow CD/DVD writing, perhaps CDburnXP has a bug that only now is appearing. I have contacted them and explained what I think is happening.

Fungus

• Hello Fungus,

I can confirm that BD2008 had a few problems with some CD writers, but they were fixed in 2009 versions (I personally had problems on my system with 2008, and no problems with 2009).

So upgrading will most certainly fix your issue. :)

Cris.

• fungus
    edited November 2008

I wrote earlier that I suspected BDIS-2008 might be causing computer freezups when I burn CD or DVD disks.

It now seems that this is what is happening.

I never had problems burning disks with CDburnXP in the years I have used it. Suddenly I had a freeze after every disk burn, a reboot was always required to recover. The only things I changed were switching from Zone Alarm Internet Suite to BDIS2008 and upgrading to XP SP3.

I was not willing to foul up my computer experimenting so I did the experiments on a backup computer. It froze on the first CD I burned. Next I upgraded it to BDIS-2009 (that took way too long, it forced me to do two full scans of the computer) and then burned another CD. This time it didn't freeze. Next I updated XP to SP3 and burned another CD, the computer did not freeze.

My Conclusion:

[removed] internet security suite was fine to have installed and allowed burning disks.

BDIS2008 crashed my CD burning every time.

BDIS2009 seems to allow CD burning, I'll post again after I've burned a larger number of disks.

XP SP3 doesn't seem to have anything to do with the problem.

Fungus