Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Exactly How Do I Upgrade From Bdis 2008 To 2009?

I have BDIS2008 and to solve a problem I want to upgrade to 2009. This is a 3 computer license.

Exactly what needs to be done? I suspect I first delete 2008 and then install 2009.

What about the license transfer to 2009?

Fungus

Comments

• Hello fungus,

Download BitDefender Internet Security 2009 here (English 32 bit version). Look here for the 64 bit version. You can download the manual here. If you need another language version use this link. You need to click on the folder of your country or language. To download the 64 bit version you need to click x64.

First remove BitDefender Internet Security 2008. Download the BitDefender uninstall tool which you can find here. If you are using a 64 bit version of windows and BitDefender then you need to download the uninstall tool here. You need to first right click on the red BitDefender icon near the system tray press on exit. Now double click on the removal tool and press on uninstall. You will be asked to reboot please do so. After the reboot run the removal tool 1 more time. Now install BitDefender 2009 during installation choose for I want to register the product with a new key and now enter the license key that you have bought or you can use the license key that you have for BitDefender IS 2008 for the remaining days. Create an online BitDefender account or if you already have done that just enter your username and password. On the other computers you need to enter the same license key.

Kind regards,

Niels

• Niels:

Thank you for a very well written explanation. This also tells me why I had so much trouble doing this upgrade on my backup (experimental) computer. I'm now feeling comfortable about doing the upgrade on my main computer.

Fungus

• Hello fungus,

Download BitDefender Internet Security 2009 here (English 32 bit version). Look here for the 64 bit version. You can download the manual here. If you need another language version use this link. You need to click on the folder of your country or language. To download the 64 bit version you need to click x64.

First remove BitDefender Internet Security 2008. Download the BitDefender uninstall tool which you can find here. If you are using a 64 bit version of windows and BitDefender then you need to download the uninstall tool here. You need to first right click on the red BitDefender icon near the system tray press on exit. Now double click on the removal tool and press on uninstall. You will be asked to reboot please do so. After the reboot run the removal tool 1 more time. Now install BitDefender 2009 during installation choose for I want to register the product with a new key and now enter the license key that you have bought or you can use the license key that you have for BitDefender IS 2008 for the remaining days. Create an online BitDefender account or if you already have done that just enter your username and password. On the other computers you need to enter the same license key.

Kind regards,

Niels

Niels:

I just did the BDIS-2008 to 2009 update as you mentioned above. All went smoothle except the final results.

My Anti-Spam was "unavailable" until I rebooted several times.

My "Privacy Control" remains still unavailable for some reason.

The two activity boxes did not show even though the check box was checked, they appeared a little later after a boot or two.

Finally, I do not get a BD red icon in the lower tray that indicates BD is loaded and running. This bugs me. I ran a scan and a rotating icon does appear there.

This is annoying because I did this update yesterday on an older computer and things went very well.

Help please

Fungus

• Sm3K3R
    Sm3K3R ✭✭✭
    Niels:

I just did the BDIS-2008 to 2009 update as you mentioned above. All went smoothle except the final results.

My Anti-Spam was "unavailable" until I rebooted several times.

My "Privacy Control" remains still unavailable for some reason.

The two activity boxes did not show even though the check box was checked, they appeared a little later after a boot or two.

Finally, I do not get a BD red icon in the lower tray that indicates BD is loaded and running. This bugs me. I ran a scan and a rotating icon does appear there.

This is annoying because I did this update yesterday on an older computer and things went very well.

Help please

Fungus

Fungus ,check if "Terminal Services" service is Started (Control Panel ->Administrative Tools->Services).Put this service on Automatic to avoid problems.

• Fungus ,check if "Terminal Services" service is Started (Control Panel ->Administrative Tools->Services).Put this service on Automatic to avoid problems.

SM3K3R:

Thanks, I already figured that out (with the help of a web search) and it brought the icon back. It also fixed the Privacy Control that had been "unavailable", not sure why.

BDIS-2009 is a bit quirkey I'd say, hoping for debugged updates soon.

I've noticed that BD doesn't always wake up happy when I reboot. Another reboot usually fixes it.

Fungus

• As a general remark:

It is irritating that the only software that almost always are causing users an headache at installation time are the BitDefender products. On my PC, no software has been more installed, un-installed and re-installed as the BitDefender Products !

Besides, not one single version the Uninstall-tool was ever capable to clear ALL the remaining bits from the harddisk or the register, which is mostly the main cause of problems. Reading this forum confirms that I'm not alone.

Almost any software is un-installed and installed smoothly. Only Bitdefender seems to be special and requires extended explanations on a forum.

• fungus
    edited October 2008

Merel:

I must agree with you about your concerns about BD. I installed it on three computers and all three acted differently during the install.

Number one went fairly smoothly but had a few issues.

Number two went flawlessly.

Number three caused all sorts of issues.

I probably spent at least 8 hours total in visiting this forum, searching the internet for help, and just experimenting. All this just to get all features of BDIS to be operational. I had a missing tray icon, unusable email tool bar, disabled "privacy control", disabled "anti spam", and finally BD told me that I (and my administrator) were teenagers. :-)

The BDIS Boot CDs I created all refused to fully boot. I found a newer iso image yesterday, tried it, and it created a CD that I can boot. Hope I never need to see if it really works.

Was it worth the time? To me it was because I like things "right" and I enjoy messing with computers.

To most people it would have ended up partially functional, or returned for a refund.

On the other side, I'd say that the BD forum is far more helpful than the help offered by many other software vendors. Niels (and others) have always offered detailed and useful information.

Conclusion: Would I recommend BD to an average computer user? No, I'd be getting phone calls every day for help.

Fungus

PS: Now that BD is installed and running I like it.