Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Program Files (again?)

Options

I have read a lot of forum posts covering the problem of getting antispam to work in Thunderbird, but there have been so many possible solutions that I am now confused. I originally moved to Thunderbird from Outlook because the BD antispam module did not work correctly. It would be ironic if I couldn't get it to work in TB either.

I use Internet Security 2008 and have 'progressed' from a situation where no antispam toolbar appeared at all, to one where it does appear but it is greyed out. I think that there was a period yesterday when it did work properly but of course I cannot recall the particular steps which I followed, because it seemed to occur randomly. I have read that you should copy over a number of files from the program files specific to BD over to the program files relating to Thunderbird (bdtb.dll, bdtb.ini and IBDTB.xpt). I seem to have a slight problem because there is no bdtb.ini file in my folder, just one without the .ini extension. I have also done various other things such as switch the antispam functionality on and off and uninstall and reinstall Thunderbird. Tlhere is also now a spam subfolder in my trash can which seems to be an issue. At one point there was advice to run a registry cleaner, which I have done. Asking for help from BD has elicited the usual response of a completely unhelpful e-mail asking for me to run various applications before making any attempt at the problem. The sysdump utility which they ask for doesn't work properly; the program just stalled as it kept asking for me to install a media content disc for Microsoft Office. I don't have it any more because my children sat on it and broke it.

Before I attempt to navigate the dubious shoals which make up the BD customer support procedure, can anyone summarise all of the various threads which surround this issue and give me a plan of action? I really don't want to go back to Outlook if I help it.

Cheers,

Peter

Comments

• AAAARRRGGGGG

The good news is that it's working again. The bad news is that I have no idea why. All I can remember is...

• I followed Niels advice, http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=32485 and although it didn't work immediately, it may have worked correctly after I rebooted the machine.

• I started and quit Game mode. I know this shouldn't make any difference at all, but it did seem to coincide with the fact that the toolbar worked again.

• I added some search functionality to Thunderbird which included searching on tags. I havet was while I was doing this that I noticed that the toolbar was working again.

Does anybody know what is going on?

Peter

I have read a lot of forum posts covering the problem of getting antispam to work in Thunderbird, but there have been so many possible solutions that I am now confused. I originally moved to Thunderbird from Outlook because the BD antispam module did not work correctly. It would be ironic if I couldn't get it to work in TB either.

I use Internet Security 2008 and have 'progressed' from a situation where no antispam toolbar appeared at all, to one where it does appear but it is greyed out. I think that there was a period yesterday when it did work properly but of course I cannot recall the particular steps which I followed, because it seemed to occur randomly. I have read that you should copy over a number of files from the program files specific to BD over to the program files relating to Thunderbird (bdtb.dll, bdtb.ini and IBDTB.xpt). I seem to have a slight problem because there is no bdtb.ini file in my folder, just one without the .ini extension. I have also done various other things such as switch the antispam functionality on and off and uninstall and reinstall Thunderbird. Tlhere is also now a spam subfolder in my trash can which seems to be an issue. At one point there was advice to run a registry cleaner, which I have done. Asking for help from BD has elicited the usual response of a completely unhelpful e-mail asking for me to run various applications before making any attempt at the problem. The sysdump utility which they ask for doesn't work properly; the program just stalled as it kept asking for me to install a media content disc for Microsoft Office. I don't have it any more because my children sat on it and broke it.

Before I attempt to navigate the dubious shoals which make up the BD customer support procedure, can anyone summarise all of the various threads which surround this issue and give me a plan of action? I really don't want to go back to Outlook if I help it.

Cheers,

Peter