Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Req visually obvious notification for required restart

Options

I love the set-it-and-forget-it use of BD. I rarely open the dashboard. However, when a restart is required to finish an update, I will always miss it because I go weeks without restarting my PC.

Could we have an obvious visual notification in the tray, please? A pop up, mouse-over balloon, flashing icon or change of color would be extremely helpful and seems like it would be an easy thing to add, along with a toggle to show/hide that type of notification. It would also not take up any real estate.

Thank you for an excellent product!

BD Antivirus Plus on Win 10 Pro 64-bit

5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

Nice said and +1 on this.

For example, Windows shows a tray icon when restart to apply updates is required:

It could be also implemented in Bitefender programs.

That way the user will be notified that he/she must restart his/her device to finish the update.

Also, this will come in handy for all laptop users, including me, who don't restart their device for at least one week.

Regards.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    Options

Voted +1 Nice example example shown @Gjoksi. Same situation here, I use sleep mode often, but may only restart this laptop once or twice a week.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Nunzio77
    Nunzio77 Defender of the month mod
    Options

+1 votated.

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• Scott
    edited August 2023
    Options

Nice thread and idea started, @Avolition

And what's also nice about these feature and idea threads, is that they're automatically sent to the developers to see and consider. And that three of us, so far, have voted for it as being a good idea, will hopefully help them to consider it as having more merit to it.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Concur. This would be an excellent enhancement to BD. +1.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello @Avolition and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I also wish to thank everyone for tuning in.

Your suggestion has been noted and sent to the product development teams automatically.

I'll share a bit more context regarding the update notifications and restarting. Taken from the user guide:

Every time an update is available, Bitdefender will automatically download and implement the update without showing notifications. You can turn off the 'Silent update' option if you want to be notified each time a new update is available. Some updates require a restart to complete the installation. (turning off this option will ensure you are informed whenever an update is available and this way you know to restart your device afterwards). By default, if an update requires a restart, Bitdefender will keep working with the old files until the user voluntarily restarts the device. This is to prevent the Bitdefender update process from interfering with the user's work.

When checking the update section from the user guide, the following sentence caught my attention: 'If you want to be prompted when an update requires a restart, turn on Restart notification.' However, it seems that such a function is no longer available in the product and the user guide might require an update itself. I'll need to dig deeper and find out what's the status here. LATER EDIT: It appears that I was looking at an older version of the user guide, so disregard.

This notification option may have been removed a few years ago when the update process was improved to ask for a restart if the automatic replacement of files fails.

Regarding this - "I go weeks without restarting my PC", I have to say this is not the best practice, but it's up to you of course. Restarting your computer frequently can have several benefits for its overall performance, stability, and security. Over time, as you use various programs and applications, your computer's memory (RAM) can become cluttered with temporary files and processes that are no longer needed. Rebooting clears out this memory, allowing your system to start fresh and operate more efficiently.

Restarting can also help prevent a gradual slowdown in performance that can occur as you use your computer for extended periods. It gives your system a chance to close down resource-intensive processes and free up system resources, which can lead to improved responsiveness. Needless to say that, software updates, including operating system updates and application updates, require a restart to take effect. Restarting your computer ensures that these updates are properly installed and applied, which can help keep your system secure and up to date.

Furthermore, web browsers can become memory-intensive over time. Restarting your PC helps release the memory consumed by these applications, preventing potential slowdowns and crashes. Finally, It's important to note that while frequent restarts can have benefits, you don't necessarily need to restart your computer multiple times a day. The frequency of restarts depends on your usage patterns and the specific needs of your computer. However, performing a restart at least once a week can be a good practice to maintain optimal performance and security.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Scott
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Alexandru_BD

When checking the update section from the user guide, the following sentence caught my attention: 'If you want to be prompted when an update requires a restart, turn on Restart notification.' However, it seems that such a function is no longer available in the product and the user guide might require an update itself. I'll need to dig deeper and find out what's the status here.

Thank you. Something more like what @Gjoksi posted, would also be wonderful :)

Also:

Regarding this - "I go weeks without restarting my PC", I have to say this is not the best practice, but it's up to you of course. Restarting your computer frequently can have several benefits for its overall performance, stability, and security. Over time, as you use various programs and applications, your computer's memory (RAM) can become cluttered with temporary files and processes that are no longer needed. Rebooting clears out this memory, allowing your system to start fresh and operate more efficiently.

I agree with this. I believe it's the same with our smartphones, that they should be restarted once a week? so it can refresh itself and do any necessary background system clean up, organizing as needed.

• Avolition
    Options

LOL! I actually do know this. Between BD, Firefox, and Backblaze my memory is regularly over 50% and has topped out at 98%. There's nothing else to do but reboot. My gripe, i.e. the reason I wait so long, is that it takes 20 min or more to boot (I've stopped timing it).

Still, thank you for sending the suggestion to product development. I tried turning off the Silent update, but the popup annoys me as any popup does.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited August 2023
    Options

20 minutes to reboot doesn't sound good... The device might be clogged..

You are most welcome @Avolition. Kindly be advised that we cannot guarantee implementation, especially if it was an option that has been removed to make room for other developments.

In regards to the 'Silent update', you can also change the update frequency, drag the slider along the scale to set the desired period of time when the update should occur. This way, you should no longer receive hourly pop-ups, for example..

In any case, even with a restart notification, you would still get a pop-up 😃

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Avolition
    Options

Stop the pop. 😁