Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

BD Antivirus Plus installer forces removal of firewall

Options
Stav-uk
Stav-uk
edited September 2023 in Install & Updates

Hi,

I am trying out Bitdefender Antivirus Plus. I have downloaded the latest installer from the website but when I try to run it, it gets a little way in and detects my (non-bitdefender) firewall and wants me to uninstall this before allowing me to proceed with the BD Antivirus Plus installation.

How can I try out BD Anitvirus Plus WITHOUT removing any of my existing non-BD firewall?

It seems that this is a "feature" of using a common installer across all BD products!

many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi @Stav-uk

Simply put, you can't install BD without first uninstalling your 3rd party firewall like COMODO, WFC etc. If it has a backup option, backup your firewall settings and rules, uninstall it, install BD AV Plus, then try reinstalling your firewall.

This thread may also be of help:

Regards

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

Be safe, not paranoid.

• Stav-uk
    Options

Hi @Scott ,

thanks for your prompt advice and link to a very useful thread.

I've got in touch with support and they've raised a ticket for me about the need to uninstall firewall software to install an AntiVirus only product. I suspect I'll get the same feedback. :-(

I am unlikley to break a working installation just to try out a piece of uncooperative software.

regards

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited September 2023
    Options

You're welcome @Stav-uk It's just Bitdefender's way of making sure their software installs without a hitch or possible compatibility issues.

I'd be surprised too, if support has a workaround but it is worth a shot, just in case.

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

Be safe, not paranoid.

• Hello @Stav-uk,

I also think that the simple workaround in the scenario you have described would be to uninstall the firewall, install the antivirus and then reinstall the firewall. The message you received is common for all Bitdefender installations where other security solutions are present on the device. This happens not because of an uncooperative software, but it's just a necessary precautionary measure that will ensure the solution is properly installed and will work as expected. Otherwise, you may encounter functionality issues along the way. Having multiple security programs and features running at the same time may degrade performance and even prevent proper malware detection. In some cases, conflicts between them can also lead to high CPU usage.

Some Bitdefender solutions include a firewall to control incoming and outgoing network traffic. If available, you can configure the firewall settings according to your needs. You can find out more about the Bitdefender firewall by checking the article below:

In terms of protection and customization options, chances are it could also be a superior firewall than the one you are currently using.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Stav-uk
    Options

Hi @Alexandru_BD

thanks for your comment. I understand your (BD) desire to make life easier for yourselves and to put your product in the best possible environment to provide an excellent service and experience for your users.

However, from my perspective, you are asking me to break my existing and working system by removing my firewall so that I can install an AntiVirus ONLY product from yourselves (BD) that explicitly excludes Firewall functionality from it's feature list.

I don't think that is a reasonable requirement.

It seems that most, if not ALL bitdefender products use the same installer with the same pre-reqs of removing competing security software before going through a generic installation process.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for some contact from the ticket raised - even if it is going to be a reiteration of the comments already received. I feel it only fair to give you (BD) every opportunity to allow me to test your Antivirus Plus software. If you can't, or won't, then so be it.

regards

Stav

• Fair enough @Stav-uk

ALL bitdefender products use the same installer with the same pre-reqs of removing competing security software before going through a generic installation process. - Indeed, here are two support articles regarding the removal of other security solutions when installing Bitdefender:

This is how the Bitdefender installer was designed. I'm very curious if other antivirus providers have the same requirements in place or not. My assumption is that this happens with all of them. I still recommend to uninstall the firewall and reinstall it back once Bitdefender is successfully installed. This is the only workaround I can think of.

Or, simply get Internet Security that has a firewall and problem solved. If you absolutely want to install Bitdefender. If this is not an option, as you said, so be it! 🙂

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user