Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Installation of Bitdefender on Windows 11 stopped by Microssoft Store

Options

Hello, I hope some can help me out.

My man got a new computer with windows 11. When I opened the downloaded file on his computer, it refuses to continue since it does not exist in Microsoft Store:

And there is no app in Microsoft Store.

How can I get around this?

If anyone could help me; i would be really grateful!

Kind regards

Best Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello.

It looks like you are using Windows 11 in S mode.

To increase security and performance, Windows 11 in S mode only runs apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, or if you have Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education and want to upgrade to Windows 11, you'll need to permanently switch out of S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode, but you won't be able to turn it back on.

Just follow these steps:

1. On your PC running Windows 11 in S mode, open Settings > System > Activation.

2. Find the Switch to Windows 11 Pro section, then select the Go to the Store link.

Note: Don't select the link under Upgrade your edition of Windows. That's a different process that will keep you in S mode.

3. On the page that appears in Microsoft Store (Switch out of S mode or a similar page), select the Get button.

After you confirm this action, you'll be able to install apps from outside Microsoft Store.

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @MotherintheFamily,

Jumping in here with a bit more context. That message comes up because your Windows is running in S mode on that laptop. Windows in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store. Microsoft App Verification guarantees the authenticity and safety of apps found in the Microsoft Store. The verification process checks the app’s source code for malware. It also ensures the app meets Microsoft’s guidelines and policies. Plus, it evaluates the app’s performance, stability, usability, and compatibility on Windows 11 devices. Perhaps it was a business decision not to include Bitdefender in the Microsoft Store, or maybe there were other reasons behind this approach. I don't really have any insight here.

When you download apps from the Microsoft Store, you know they are secure. But, if you get apps from other sources, there could be potential security risks. To keep your Windows 11 system safe, it is recommended to stick to apps from the official Microsoft Store.

Non-Microsoft verified apps are becoming increasingly popular. But it's essential to understand the risks and benefits of downloading them. While these apps offer more options and flexibility, they may contain malicious software or malware. You should be cautious when downloading and installing from third-party sources.

However, there are also advantages. These apps provide unique features and functionalities that may not be available in official Microsoft stores. They also offer a wider range of apps to cater to specific needs. This allows users to personalize their computing experience.

Obviously, since Bitdefender is a trusted cybersecurity vendor, there are no risks here.

You can follow the steps below to switch out of S mode and try to install Bitdefender afterwards:

Best regards and Happy New Year!

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

Answers

• Hello Gjoksi, and thank you for your fast answer!

Looking at the text coming up when following the instructions it seems a big desicion to make. Thinking on it, it sounds a little bit odd:

I need to lower my security settings install a program that is supposed to help me to protect my security.

Why is Bitdefender not in the Microsoft Store?

What if I go out of S mode and find out that I cant install anyway?

I installed Bit defender on a Windows 11 computer for my son in September. It was no problem at all (and no S mode thing). It was also Windows 11.

The only difference is that my sons computer is a desktop, my man's computer is a laptop, so the might have different types of windows 11.

Is there a way to verify that there is a version of Bit defender that works for my mans laptop version of Windows 11 before we switch permanently?

I would feel much safer, if I hade these questions anwsers before I proceed

Many thanks in advance

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think Windows S is supported.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@camarie ,

The OP has probably already resolved her issue, based on the response provided by @Alexandru_BD .

Windows S mode is not supported. She will have to switch out of S mode, as Alex suggested, to install Bitdefender.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor