Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Cannot Get Rid Of Virus, Afraid To Disable System Restore

Options

I have this Trojan in my computer, even though I have up-to-date Bitdefender. Anyway, I have scanned it many times, and the final results were that it couldn't delete the virus. I was told by a friend to do a system restore back to an earlier date, so I did this. The trojan appeared to be gone. The icon on the desktop (AdwareXP Antivirus) was gone, and it was no longer listed in the programs. I thought I was out of the woods. Then I discovered that Bitdefender was now out of commission and I had no virus scanner. I uninstalled Bitdefender and then re-installed it. I am using Bitdefender 2008 Antivirus. I ran a deep system scan, and it told me that now the virus couldn't be deleted because it is in the archives. This is exactly what the scan said about the 2 items.

Object name: C:\Documents and Settings\Linda\Local Settings\Temp\wrdwn3=]AntivirusPro2009.exe

Threat name: Trojan.Fakealert.AML

Final Status: Delete failed (file was in an archive)

Object name: C:\Documents and Settings\Linda\Local Settings\Temp\wrdwn9=]AntivirusPro2009.exe

Threat name: Trojan.Fakealert.AML

Final Status: Delete failed (file was in an archive)

Then it gave me a list of 77 files that were not scanned because they are password protected. Well, I do not know what to do about these at all. I found some of them which are in an AOL folder that I did not know was there. I removed AOL (or thought I did) a long time ago. Should I delete these?

Objects that were not scanned:

C:\Documents and Settings\Alll Users\Application Data\AOL\UserProfiles\All Users\antiSpyware\dat\Quarantine\20061025231847.zip=]WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

Password protected, No action Possible

Then there are 11 files related to Adobe Acrobat that I am sure I have no password for.

They were not scanned either, because of password protection.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files\RdrBig\ENU_\Data1.cab=]WebSearchENU.pdf

I would be so grateful if you could tell me what to do about these files, and about the Trojan. My son has a Mac, so he does not have problems with virus scanners or trojans or anything, and he can't help me at this point.

Thank you so much.

Linda

Comments

• rootkit
    Options

Download ATF (Atribune Temp File) Cleaner© by Atribune to your desktop.

http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=1

Double-click ATF Cleaner.exe to open it

Under Main choose: Select all

Then click the Empty Selected button.

pic1atf.gif

Then...

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-malware from here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Once the download is complete, run the install program, and accept all of the default options. Make sure that the options to Update and Launch the software is checked when you click Finish.

Now, let's make sure that it has all of the latest anti-spyware definitions: click on the Update tab and click the Check for Updates button.

malwarebytes1.png

After the updates have been loaded, click on the Scanner tab and choose the Perform Complete Scan option, then click the Scan button.

a5163075fd548685aa01c10a88346d17.png

When the scan is complete, it will show you all of the potentially harmful files on your computer - click the button to remove them automatically.

Paste the scan log here. :)