Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

TrojanPatched.V

Options

I opened up my computer this morning to find a log referring to the TrojanPatched.V virus. I also had a Windows XP "Windows File Protection" window open that said, "Files that are required by Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original version of these files. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM now"

I inserted the CD and a screen came up with several options .. the first being "reinstall Windows XP" ... that made me nervous, so I called tech support at Bit Defender (I was very pleased to get someone on the line in about 2 minutes).

I was told to go to Antivirus, then to Quarantine and wherever TrojanPatched.V showed up I should right click on the file and then click "RESTORE." I asked if I needed to do anything about the Windows warning and insert the CD, and I was told "no."

So, I restored all of the files and the next thing you know the Windows prompt is up again. Having been told I don't have to do anything with the Windows CD (and not wanting to mess with my system) I am stuck. I suppose I could call back, but I wonder if anyone out there has run into the same thing and how you resolved the issue.

Thanks ... Gina

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hi Gina

Do you still have problems with windows? If so than I recommend that you try this put in your windows cd-rom go to start,run,at the run dialog box type cmd press enter,type sfc /scannow press enter. Now system file checker will search and replace corrupted or missing windows files.Otherwise you don't have to do anything.

Regards

Niels

• Hi, Gina!

Please update your BD. It was a false-positive and the detection has been removed.

Andrei

• Hi Gina

Do you still have problems with windows? If so than I recommend that you try this put in your windows cd-rom go to start,run,at the run dialog box type cmd press enter,type sfc /scannow press enter. Now system file checker will search and replace corrupted or missing windows files.Otherwise you don't have to do anything.

Regards

Niels

Hello: I haven't really tried to do anything but go online and check my e-mail (which did work), so I'm not noticing anything that indicates the system is "unstable." I did run another quickscan and only two files showed up this time. C:\windows\system32\dllchache\route.exe AND C:\Windows\system32\route.exe

So, I tried the restore thing again and it did restore one. when I tried to restore the other it says, "The File already exists. Do you want to replace it?" (my first inclination is to say "no" ... but I am a novice at this). Maybe I should run a quick scan again and see if this one disappears as well. If so I guess I'm in good shape. If not I can try what you suggest, but I really don't have any indication that the system is unstable.

sound like a reasonable way to go??

thanks so much for your help. you have no idea how much we "non-technical folks" appreciate your time.

gina

• Hi, Gina!

Please update your BD. It was a false-positive and the detection has been removed.

Andrei

ahhh ... that makes sense!! thank you

• Niels
    Options

Hi gina

You may replace it. So you may confirm by choosing yes.But normally BitDefender will not detect it anymore. I suggest that you perform an update to do that open BitDefender go to update,update now.

Regards

Niels

• Hi gina

You may replace it. So you may confirm by choosing yes.But normally BitDefender will not detect it anymore. I suggest that you perform an update to do that open BitDefender go to update,update now.

Regards

Niels

hello again:

I tried to update and the update failed. When I tried to close BD and open again it didn't want to close. I figured maybe I should just try to restart the computer (in hopes of clearing anything that might be causing problems). I did that and then tried to update again. This time it was successful. So, I'm running another scan just to be certain, but I would expect to find it clean this time.

Thanks again for the help. I hope I'm not back anytime soon for more help :-) If it goes well on the scan I'll report in just so you know it's a mission accomplished. I've had BD for about 6 mos. now and this is the first problem, so I think that's pretty decent overall. I just wish I were more technical, but that's why people like you are around :-) ...thank goodness!!

I'll report back shortly.

gina

• Hi, Gina!

Andrei

thank you for your help Andrei. The last scan went fine and I'm back in business.

with gratitude,

Gina

• Hi Gina

Regards

Niels

thanks for all your help Neils. My last scan went fine and all appears well. I appreciate your time.

Gina

• Glad that we could help! ;)

Andrei

• Niels
    Options

Also glad that we could help you.

Regards

Niels