Bitdefender Blocking Websites

Comments

• edited October 2010

I am still having this issue. Updated today and rebooted. Still there ... ? O.K. web addresses, how about google.com hotmail.com many others. The odd behavior here is that if you refresh a few times bit defender will decide to stop blocking the page. I mean realy folks. If this was not a programming error could that happen? How about a little more feedback from YOU BIT DEFENDER instead of just an ocasional post stating that the problem that is STILL OCCURING is fixed. We would like to know you are aware of the problem and are actively addressing it. After all, we are paying you for a service.

Virus signatures: 6418700

Engine Version: 7.34482

• Hello,

Just got to the office, I will look deeper into the issue and come back with a feedback and a resolution. As far as I know, yesterday, when I left the office, the issue was resolved and we had no more reports coming through any of the communication channels.

Have you tried deleting cache and temporary Internet files / folders ?

• Just started doing it again.

• Hi,

Please tell me if:

- you updated BitDefender;

- the number of Signatures and Engine version;

- what browser are you using

- all the pages currently blocked (FULL link);

- a screenshot of the notification you receive

- the status of the Scan HTTP traffic option in Antivirus -> Custom Level;

- have you cleared your cache and temporary internet files and folder.

Thank you.

• Hi,

Please tell me if:

Thank you.

This problem is a pain in the A**

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Bla...ors/td-p/599135

and the list goes on....

And yes I've done all the cleaning,

Default levels

Opera 10.63

Opera 11 Alpha

Firefox ETC....

• Hi,

Please tell me if:

Thank you.

Yes I have updated

I use firefox and IE8

http traffic option is on

yes I have cleared both browsers completely (three times)

Bitdefender blocked

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...0864Y0340057298

http://www.modthesims.info/browse.php?gs=1

my email account on hotmail

an advertisement on Amazon.com but not the entire page just a small sectionI forgot to get the link

http://my.yahoo.com/

there has been a couple of other sites but I didn't grab the page when it happened, one was a news link on yahoo

This started up agian for me only once in awhile through the day I do not get the blocked webpage everytime for the same website and its usually unblocked if I go somewhere else and then back to the website that was blocked, or open another tab and try it again. It is still random but is happening less often for me.

• Hi,

Please tell me if:

Thank you.

-I updated BitDefender and rebooted.

-Virus signatures: 6430858

-Engine version: 7.34510

-Internet Explorer 8

-http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=pest+control ***intermitently***

-http://www.wowhead.com/item=19972 ***intermitently***

-O.K. Screenshot included for your viewing pleasure.

-HTTP traffic scan enabled.

-I have cleared my cache and temporary internet files to no avail.

I would like to add the included screenshot of the notification shows the exact notification given for many, many websites. This is given as I stated before intermittently and the page can be viewed by refreshing a rediculously large amount of times. I will also try to add websites as I run acrost them and as I have time as the number is quite large.

post-38530-1288625246_thumb.jpg

• This is getting ridiculous.

One minute, it works fine, refresh the page only to find it blocked.

Also finding a whitelisted site blocked which should never happen.

BD is always updated

virus sigs as of this post: 6431352

engine: 7.34511

Firefox 3.6.12

RealTime scan is set to default settings

Same pic of error as above

www.forums.steampowered.com will be ok then suddenly blocked while whitelisted.

• This is getting ridiculous.

One minute, it works fine, refresh the page only to find it blocked.

Also finding a whitelisted site blocked which should never happen.

BD is always updated

virus sigs as of this post: 6431352

engine: 7.34511

Firefox 3.6.12

RealTime scan is set to default settings

Same pic of error as above

www.forums.steampowered.com will be ok then suddenly blocked while whitelisted.

This is my opera speed dial after a refresh:

bit.JPG

• same problem for me.

Running Bitdefender total security 2011

Windows Vista 32bit

• Hello everyone,

We have made some final adjustments on our servers and the issue should be now resolved. The pages are blocked by the Real Time Protection and NOT by the Antiphishing module.

I would recommend you all to have the 'Scan HTTP traffic' disabled in the Antivirus -> Custom Level.

If however still encounter this issue please report it back.

• Just curious, but if it has been resolved, why would that setting need to be disabled?

• It's not a must, it's a recommendation. I personally have it disabled.

• edited November 2010

ok new thing. I turned off http scan when amazon.com was blocked. I reloaded the page and then tried to load amazon.com again and got this

BitDefender

This webpage has been blocked by BitDefender Parental Control!

This web page has been blocked by the User Control Heuristic Web filter.

Changing the Parental Control Settings for the current user will enable you to access this page. If you are an administrator on this system, you can change the Parental Control settings from the BitDefender Parental Control module.

I have never had parental controls set, and it shows it is off. I am not comfortable having someone from bitdefender access my computer to figure it out so I hope they can find another way to fix this.

Ok just did it when I tried to search using google for Amazon and did the same thing to Walmart.com.... http://www.walmart.com/index.gsp using a bookmark

tried ebay same thing

http://www.ebay.com/ using yahoo toolbar to access it

amazon i tried a search, the yahoo toolbar and from a bookmark blocked it everytime

• I'm having the same problems as I mentioned above just not as often. If I hit reload then the site being blocked will eventually load. I have noticed page elements with the bit defender blocked message(A page loads but a portion is blocked by bit defender). Is this going to get fixed soon, otherwise I need a refund I don't have the time or patience to deal with this problem...

• I am so glad I'm on my free trial still (17 days left). I have had Bitdefender in the past and loved the firewall, but ever since upgrading to 2011 Total Security I've had nothing but trouble. Whenever I make a forum post somewhere I always fear the random "BitDefender has blocked your website!". Well thanks BitDefender but seriously wtf, you don't give us an option to turn off this feature?

Tell us to do updates is insulting because we are. I just did another update today and got blocked on the first site I went to. I'm surprised it doesn't block your own forums, but I'm sure it would if I browsed long enough.

• Hello everyone,

We have made some final adjustments on our servers and the issue should be now resolved. The pages are blocked by the Real Time Protection and NOT by the Antiphishing module.

I would recommend you all to have the 'Scan HTTP traffic' disabled in the Antivirus -> Custom Level.

If however still encounter this issue please report it back.

I personaly find this statement disturbing. The HTTP traffic scan is a function we have paid for and as such the answer should not be to disable it. If this company is unable or unwilling to fix the function that we have paid for then possibly our money would be more welcome elsewhere and a refund would be in order. I do hope that the "final adjustments" are actualy a fix this time because the HTTP traffic scanning is a function that I expect from an AV. Without this function the program is lacking and it would be time to move to a more serious company.

That being said I truly do hope that this time we can expect a fix because besides for this issue this program has been one of the best AV's I have dealt with. It has a well thought out interface and tends to catch the bad programs before they become a problem. This of course has been partly to do with the HTTP traffic scanning function.

• As I already explained three times: disabling the Http traffic is a recommendation, NOT A MUST. With all the respect but no, preventing bad programs from installing is not what the HTTP traffic scan does. I would recommend you to read the manual before posting something that may confuse other users.

BitDefender protects your computer from all kinds of malware (viruses, Trojans, spyware, rootkits and so on). The protection BitDefender offers is divided into two categories:

* Real-time protection - prevents new malware threats from entering your system. BitDefender will, for example, scan a word document for known threats when you open it, and an e-mail message when you receive one.

* Real-time protection is also referred to as on-access scanning - files are scanned as the users access them.

#

Scan options for e-mail, web and instant messaging traffic. To prevent malware from being downloaded to your computer, BitDefender automatically scans the following malware entry points:

* incoming e-mails

* web traffic

* files received via Yahoo! Messenger and Windows Live Messenger

Scanning the web traffic may slow down web browsing a little, but it will block malware coming from the Internet, including drive-by downloads.

Though not recommended, you can disable e-mail, web or instant messaging antivirus scan to increase system performance. If you disable the corresponding scan options, the e-mails and files received or downloaded from the Internet will not be scanned, thus allowing infected files to be saved to your computer. This is not a major threat because real-time protection will block the malware when the infected files are accessed (opened, moved, copied or executed).

For a complete description of the Real Time Protection module I recommend you to read the offline manual stored in your PC at installation, found at the following location:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\Support\offlinemanual\html

• edited November 2010

To: DanyDan

I apologize but it appears the point has been missed. Let me be more specific. The point here is that this is a feature we have paid for. We want this feature to work. End of story. We gave money to your company for this program and an update service; now we would like the program to perform as advertised. The question of this feature being important to you is second to that.

Secondly in the world of security overlapping layers of protection are considered a benefit. If I wanted a program with minimalistic features I would have bought a solution from a competitor at a much cheaper price. I want the redundant features that have been offered with this program. I also appreciate the fact you do not believe I understand how your program works so I have read your manual again as suggested. I still feel the same as prior to reading the manual. I want the features I have paid for. If there is some bit of information in the manual I have missed explaining why this portion of the program is offering me no additional layers or levels of protection please feel free to explain as my knowledge of your program is not all inclusive however, an explanation that a different layer will catch it anyways is not an acceptable solution for me. I like redundancies.

I understand that disabling the faulty portion of the program is only a recommendation but when we are not seeing an actual solution it is still frustrating for us. I thank you for the suggestion but would like to suggest that next time if this is only a temporary idea please let us know that a permanent solution is in the works and that it is in fact only a temporary work around. If you do not communicate with us what is going on we do not know.

On that note I am going to attempt to update, clear cache, and reboot hoping that the bugs have been worked out.

• It's clear that there is a lack of communication here. I am NOT saying that the issue with the blocked websites is caused by the Scan HTTP traffic option (it's an option not a feature). The issue is due to one of the our cloud servers. Furthermore, I know there are some notifications about this issue on the forums however via email and phones we barely got few replies with a negative feedbacks.

I will double check with my colleagues and let you know. Keep the HTTP scan option enabled, clear cache and temporary files and let me know if the issue still occur.

Thank you.

• It's clear that there is a lack of communication here. I am NOT saying that the issue with the blocked websites is caused by the Scan HTTP traffic option (it's an option not a feature). The issue is due to one of the our cloud servers. Furthermore, I know there are some notifications about this issue on the forums however via email and phones we barely got few replies with a negative feedbacks.

I will double check with my colleagues and let you know. Keep the HTTP scan option enabled, clear cache and temporary files and let me know if the issue still occur.

Thank you.

I just did a complete reinstall 11/4/2010 0800 mst

1. cleaned registry, deleted cache, deledted history, deleted cookies.

2. I used bd 211 uninstall tool then reboot then cleaned registry, reboot

3 installed bd 211 let it update and scan then reboot.

I had media player classic running plus newsbin 64 and opened firefox went to http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/clive-cussler/

and the page was blocked.

The problem is not resolved

The only other security software I have is windows firewall and windows defender which both are off.

Right now the only settings changed in bd is the firewall is set to report, all others are default.

• I read the forum on my other computer without BD Total Security 2011 and went to my regular computer, which uses vista 64, ie 7, and after getting the same blocked website message, deleted all: history, cookies, temp files, add-ons. Closed page and re-opened and was back to my home page. I don't know how long this will work, but after 2 days of being given impotent work-arounds by "tech support" that didn't work, I'm happy for now. I don't know why this wasn't suggested in the first place instead of using guesswork.

Thank you.

Thank you for this clear explanation of what is going on. I would like to say that I am now running 4 days without this problem.

• Thank you for this clear explanation of what is going on. I would like to say that I am now running 4 days without this problem.

Thank you for your feedback. :) This is the best way for tech support and other users to know whether a proposed solution has worked or not.

Again, THANKS,

• although parental controls are switched off , they are still blocking websites .

This webpage has been blocked by BitDefender Parental Control!

This web page has been blocked by the User Control Heuristic Web filter.

Changing the Parental Control Settings for the current user will enable you to access this page. If you are an administrator on this system, you can change the Parental Control settings from the BitDefender Parental Control module

the site i want is http://www.paddypower.com/bet

windows 7 64 bit , using google chrome ,

virus sig : 6282343

engine version 7.34734

Help please , tommy

• Hello Tommy,

First of all you have posted in the wrong topic. Regarding the site that is blocked please double check:

- the Windows Username you are currently logged on

- if the Parental Control is enabled for that Username or for any of the other Windows users

- if the Home Network in BitDefender is enabled

- if the issue still occur with other Internet browser

Looking forward to your answer!

• I have the same problem.

It occurs when I run de mediacenter program with the extender to an XBOX 360.

As soon as it has been started , I have problems with parental control (that is disabled)

I think that something occurs with the user that is created mxc1-computername when we install an extender in mediacenter.

It's like the bitdefender was running with this user.

Can you investigate in this way?

Regards

Jean-Marc FRANCOIS

• Hello,

Thank you for posting. The account that you are referring to is created by Media Center Extender and is safe. It only exists on Vista computers that are sharing Media with other devices.

If you need any further assistance please let me know.

• I think you don't understand what I am explaining.

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits (with mediacenter) and mediacenter extension for Xbox

An Xbox

Parental control is DISABLED on the computer

Everything is working fine, I can surf everywhere.

If on my Xbox , i'm running mediacenter and browse the content of my PC, everything is wotrking fine.

Then I go back to my PC and try to surf and I receive on most the site that i surd to : bitdefender parental control has blocked this internet page (sorry it's the translation of the french sentence).

So I think, there is something wrong with bitdefender that is running with the mxc1-computername user. The mxc&-computername user is created when you install the Xbox extender in mediacenter.

I I logoff and logon the problem disappear.

So can you investigate in this way?

If I search the internet I'm not the only one having this problem, but I didn't see any solution.

Regards

This discussion has been closed.