Bitdefender Pchooklaunch64.exe Error

Bitdefender Internet Security 2011.

Since a couple of days, suddenly i get a message that says

PCHOOKLAUNCH64.exe

Unknown Software exception (0xc0000417)

Location 0X751a4fco

Please press..... to stop, close (or something like that)

And when i go to see in the program files from bitdefender, that file isn't there anymore (until i reboot the PC).

Bitdefender still runs, scans and updates.

I've seen that is still am using the version 14.0.24.330

Even right clicking in the tray icon won't update the version

I'm using Windows 7, 64-Bit

What is the problem?

Comments

• I am running BitDefender Total Security 2011 on Windows 7. I randomly receive a pchooklaunch32.exe Application error, asking to "click on OK to terminate the program. After terminating the program, Bitdefender seems to continue working properly, but I'm not sure what this error message is. Please advise on a possible cause and how I can resolve this issue.

A screenshot of the error is attached.

Thanks,

Monica

post-39916-1291998750_thumb.png

• Please follow the procedure below to send the generated log files to DanyDan of BD tech support for further investigation:

First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one
    . This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on
    Start
    and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the
    supporttool.exe file
    - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the
    supporttool application
    file and select
    Run as Administrator

5. Click on
    Next
    , wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on
    Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to
    of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

• Thanks for the reply Gary. I followed your directions and managed to save the log files, but I am not able to upload them on a PM to DanyDan. I get the following message when trying to upload the attachement:

Error Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file.

Is there another way to get this to him?

Monica

-----------------------------------------------

Please follow the procedure below to send the generated log files to DanyDan of BD tech support for further investigation:

First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one
    . This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on
    Start
    and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

4. Double-click on the
    supporttool.exe file
    - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the
    supporttool application
    file and select
    Run as Administrator

5. Click on
    Next
    , wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on
    Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to
    of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

• Never mind. Maybe I should pay more attention, just noticed direction#8.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply Gary. I followed your directions and managed to save the log files, but I am not able to upload them on a PM to DanyDan. I get the following message when trying to upload the attachement:

Error Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file.

Is there another way to get this to him?

Monica

-----------------------------------------------

• Never mind. Maybe I should pay more attention, just noticed direction#8.

Thanks.

There ya go. ;) Give Daniel some time to see your PM and investigate the logs.

Regards,

• There ya go. ;) Give Daniel some time to see your PM and investigate the logs.

Regards,

So is there any answer to what is causing pchook to fail? I have been having this issue along with others and as yet

no great luck...The BD failed to gray this morning and it took a hard power down to get out of Windows and then after

boot up and a 10 minute run (or so) pchooklaunch32.exe fails yet again with an exception error...

• Hello,

@ALL having the pchooklaunch crash issue please read the topic below:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=100891

Make sure you update BitDefender and restart the PC when the process is complete. The issue should be resolved. Please provide me with feedback on it in this topic.

Thank you!

• Hello,

I encountered this annoying issue a couple of weeks ago (BD Total Security 2011) and it keeps popping up ever since. I followed the instructions emphasised in other threads, thus sending an email to Danny last week, to which I haven't got a reply so far.

Please help.

Thank you.

• nikki605
    edited December 2010

This issue has been fixed in the latest build as explained in this pinned topic by DanyDan just a little earlier today.

Please perform a manual update of BDTS, reboot your PC and verify that the problem has been resolved.

Regards,

• This issue has been fixed in the latest build as explained in this pinned topic by DanyDan just a little earlier today.

Please perform a manual update of BDTS, reboot your PC and verify that the problem has been resolved.

Regards,

Thanks, my current version is 330. How can I manually update BDTS to 337, as I couldn't figure it yet?...

• Right-click on the BD icon in the System tray to open the context menu, then click on Update Now.

You can run a manual update at any time. It will check for both virus definition and BD program updates.

Regards,

• Right-click on the BD icon in the System tray to open the context menu, then click on Update Now.

You can run a manual update at any time. It will check for both virus definition and BD program updates.

Regards,

I've already done that, but it appears that, apart from downloading and installing the virus definitions, it didn't find any program updates, therefore continuing to being stuck on the 14.0.24.330 version.

Anyway, can we switch to Romanian language? :))

• Anyone care to explain why I can't apparently update to version 337, neither automatically or manually? I'm stuck on the 330 version.

Thanks.

• Hello Alex,

No, we can't since this is the English sub-forum. Further to the issue you encounter, I created you a ticket and sent instructions via email on how to further investigate it. Please check your email associated with your Forum account and send me the requested XML file.

Ticket ID: 201012261000776

• Hi, I updated Bitdefender and restarted my PC a few times and pchooklaunch32 started up but then it crashed again after an hour or so. Is there potential for vulnerability in my system if I just continue without pchooklaunch32? Having to restart every time is driving me crazy. Also, how can I get that build you specified in the previous post?

• Hi, I updated Bitdefender and restarted my PC a few times and pchooklaunch32 started up but then it crashed again after an hour or so. Is there potential for vulnerability in my system if I just continue without pchooklaunch32? Having to restart every time is driving me crazy. Also, how can I get that build you specified in the previous post?

This fix was released in build 14.0.24.337. Your BD installation should update automatically, but to do it manually, right-click on the BD icon in the Windows System Tray and then select "Update Now."

Happy New Year,

• I have the latest version yet I do get that pchooklaunch32 crash quite often. I often just restart it manually from Program Files. I would like to know what it is used for and how essential it is to my PC's security?

• I have the latest version yet I do get that pchooklaunch32 crash quite often. I often just restart it manually from Program Files. I would like to know what it is used for and how essential it is to my PC's security?

It is essential. It's function is described by DanyDan of BD tech support in this post.

Something else on your PC may be conflicting with BD causing pchooklaunch to terminate. To have BD tech support investigate further, follow the steps in this procedure:

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

8. Upload the created file HERE

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

Regards,

• Unknown
    edited January 2011

The file pchooklaunch32 is taking care of the analysis of the applications running on your PC in terms of blocking / allowing the applications to run. The module using this file is the Parental Control one so if you do not have kids around the house to use the same PC as you do, you can rename the file from pchooklaunch32.exe into pchooklaunch32.bak

Still it is curious that you updated and still encounter this issue. I had no complains about it since the update was released. Can you please doublecheck for updates and see if any product updates available ?

• The file pchooklaunch32 is taking care of the analysis of the applications running on your PC in terms of blocking / allowing the applications to run. The module using this file is the Parental Control one so if you do not have kids around the house to use the same PC as you do, you can rename the file from pchooklaunch32.exe into pchooklaunch32.bak

Still it is curious that you updated and still encounter this issue. I had no complains about it since the update was released. Can you please doublecheck for updates and see if any product updates available ?

Ok I renamed the file with a bak extension especially since I do not need parental control. And yes I did doublecheck and I had the latest updates when I kept getting that crash. The application doesn't launch now and so I guess there will not be any crashes.

• Happy New Year everyone!

Could anyone explain me what's the reason for not being able to update to the latest build, 337?

Thanks.

• Hi and thank you for the warm wishes. Can you please provide me with a screenshot when trying to update BitDefender ? What is the error message you get when trying to update to the latest build ?

• I have windows 7 and BD Internet security 2011. I tried to rename the file but it didn't work because need system permision.

In previous message you addressed the new build Version: 14.0.26.337 and I try to find the link to download it but I didn't sucssed, so would please let me know how to download this new release.

Regards,

The file pchooklaunch32 is taking care of the analysis of the applications running on your PC in terms of blocking / allowing the applications to run. The module using this file is the Parental Control one so if you do not have kids around the house to use the same PC as you do, you can rename the file from pchooklaunch32.exe into pchooklaunch32.bak

• In previous message you addressed the new build Version: 14.0.26.337 and I try to find the link to download it but I didn't sucssed, so would please let me know how to download this new release.

Regards,

On your PC, RIGHT-click on the red BD icon in the Windows System Tray. In the context menu, select Update Now. Follow the on-screen instructions and reboot if requested.

To verify the version, again RIGHT-click on the red BD icon in the Windows System Tray. In the context menu, select About to display the current build version.

Regards,

• Would you please discrbe more the process beacuse I clicked on the right b to select update now in all the BD red icon on the disk top, the program list, and BD 2011 folder in the win explor but there is no any update now selection.

So , what do you mean by windows System try?

I checked the version that I have is 14.0.24.337.

Regards,

On your PC, RIGHT-click on the red BD icon in the Windows System Tray. In the context menu, select Update Now. Follow the on-screen instructions and reboot if requested.

To verify the version, again RIGHT-click on the red BD icon in the Windows System Tray. In the context menu, select About to display the current build version.

Regards,

• I updated BD but the Version is still the same 14.0.24.337.

Regards,

Regards,

• That is the latest build. If you are still having problems with pchooklaunch, please follow the procedure in this post above to submit the log files to BD tech aupport.

Regards,

• Hi and thank you for the warm wishes. Can you please provide me with a screenshot when trying to update BitDefender ? What is the error message you get when trying to update to the latest build ?

I got no error when trying to update. It updates normally, but most probably only virus definitions, not program's builds. That's why I am stuck on the 330 version.

• Ok I renamed the file with a bak extension especially since I do not need parental control. And yes I did doublecheck and I had the latest updates when I kept getting that crash. The application doesn't launch now and so I guess there will not be any crashes.

Unfortunately I was wrong. Inspite of renaming the pchooklaunch32.exe to pchooklaunch32.bak, the pchooklaunch32 was somehow recreated and did launch when I rebooted my PC and it then proceeded to crash. Add to this I am also getting the gray Bitdefender symbol in the System tray. So many problems at the same time.

• Unfortunately I was wrong. Inspite of renaming the pchooklaunch32.exe to pchooklaunch32.bak, the pchooklaunch32 was somehow recreated and did launch when I rebooted my PC and it then proceeded to crash. Add to this I am also getting the gray Bitdefender symbol in the System tray. So many problems at the same time.

The next time you experience either problem, please follow the procedure in this post above to submit the log files to BD tech aupport.

Regards,

• Hi Alex,

What are the Update Settings within BitDefender Security Center in Expert View ? Please attach a screenshot to this topic. Also provide me with the following file from your PC:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\update_components.xml

Thank you.

• Danny,

I have already sent you the requested update_components.xml, by replying to the email you sent on 26.12.2010.

Please find attached the screen shot in question.

Alex

post-39929-1294591015_thumb.jpg

• The next time you experience either problem, please follow the procedure in this post above to submit the log files to BD tech aupport.

Regards,

His inbox is full and I am unable to send him a message.

• As many others i have quite a few problems with BDIS 2011.

I have just tried to send a PM to DanyDan but his inbox is full so thats a no go for now.

Have followed the steps i have see in other post, and every thing is good to go.

I have a couple of errors i can't resolve on my own or through the forum.

1: The bitdefender taskbar icon goes gray and i have to reboot as bitdefender do not respond.

2: Pchooklaunch64.exe stops working/running and i have to click the ok-button

3: Firewall and / or antivirus stops working and i can't connect to the internet, online games stop working but programs as xfire, messenger, skype and my radio gadget still works. So it seems that my internet is not totally blocked.

4: IE is very slow loading first page and the next tabs i open

5: MS Office 2007 is very slow opening up and takes long before i can start useing it.

All problems happens alot, pchooklaunch64.exe more then the icon grays out (thinks it's fixed via the new update). Pchooklaunch, sometimes happens up to 6 times a day.

I run win 7 ultimate x64/64bit

Problem #3 allso happens on my girlfriends laptop and its running win7 64bit home ed.

Both of us have BDIS 2011 running

• Can I just say that there appear to be a TON of people with this issue and so I don't think this new build helped anyone. Plus, like probably several other people, I have done what you instructed in this post days ago, sent it to your technical support, and have heard NOTHING!! Fix the dang issue and quit telling us to send you log files!

• Hi Alex,

Please open BitDefender and go to the Update tab. There switch to the Settings submenu and set the alternative update location to:

http://upgrade2.bitdefender.com

For the Advanced Settings uncheck the third then the second box (Incarca fisiere Bitdefender de pe acest PC si Activeaza partajarea actualizarilor (P2P))

Click on Apply / Salveaza then try to perform a BitDefender update. Please tell me if you receive any error when trying to update (a screenshot would be best).

• Does this error have anything to do with SD cards or Windows MemoryBoost?

• Hi Alex,

Please open BitDefender and go to the Update tab. There switch to the Settings submenu and set the alternative update location to:

http://upgrade2.bitdefender.com

For the Advanced Settings uncheck the third then the second box (Incarca fisiere Bitdefender de pe acest PC si Activeaza partajarea actualizarilor (P2P))

Click on Apply / Salveaza then try to perform a BitDefender update. Please tell me if you receive any error when trying to update (a screenshot would be best).

Hi Danny,

I haven't got any error message upon updating, but I still receive this annoying pop up pchooklaunch64.exe screen...When I click the "about/despre" option in order to know about the product's version, I still see "Versiune 14.0.24.330".

• When I was scanning my external HDD I get in the middle

pchooklaunch32.exe - No Disk

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive E:.

What is this. And ehat should I do?

• Hi Slots,

In order to start troubleshoot the issue you encounter I have created a ticket on your behalf with the ID: 201101301025859. Please check your email and send me the requested information.

Regards,

• Ball_ed
    edited January 2011

Hi, I've just upgraded from XP 32Bit to Win7 64Bit. I never received this error using XP 32Bit how-ever since the upgrade (re-format) I receive this error constantly. I re-start the PC and the error appears again. I've re-formatted twice and the error still exists. Not sure to go from here.

Cheers :mellow:

• Hello Ball_ed,

The issue that you have reported has been acknowledged by our team and is currently being worked on for a fix. The fix will be done by means of automatic update and won't require any additional action from your part.

Some logs from your computer would be very useful for us in order investigate this a bit deeper. BitDefender 2011 has an integrated reporting tool which collects almost all information that we need. Please access this KB article for step by step instructions on how to use it.

An automatic email is sent to Technical Service Team with the logs gathered from your PC and you will receive an automatic reply as a confirmation. Please reply with this Ticket ID.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience that we may have created and we rest at your disposal for further information.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Carmen

• Hi Alex,

Adrian, a colleague of mine, sent you an email and explained the situation on January 31st. The fix will be released on all languages, including Romanian around 15th of February. When you try to update you get the message 'No updates available' ?

• Hi Alex,

Adrian, a colleague of mine, sent you an email and explained the situation on January 31st. The fix will be released on all languages, including Romanian around 15th of February. When you try to update you get the message 'No updates available' ?

I received the email.

Anyway, I opted for reinstalling the Romanian 64 bit version and so far I haven't got the error message. I shall wait for the next major update and if this error shall pop up again, I shall then switch to the English version, which apparently fixed the subject issue.

Best regards.

Alex

• My client is also getting a random pchooklaunch32.exe Application error, Bit Defender Version is latest, Can you please tell me how to get rid of this, will disabling parental control help because we don't need it actualy, just want the error away please.

post-33385-1297153050_thumb.png

• I too am experiencing the same problem over the last few days. I have performed the manual update and running the latest version (I think) 337.

I get a random exception error which I close but doesnt appear to stop any services or anything.

Help!

• Happening on BDIS2011-64 too !

• Hello,

How you scan your external drive ? A contextual scan (right click -> Scan with BitDefender) ? What type of scanning are you running ? Please post a screenshot with the error message you receive. Also follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

Looking forward to your answer!

Regards,

• Hi

This is somewhat similar to post

• Hi

I have read numerous threads in relation to this error and have followed the instructions and fully updated version manually.

Despite this I still get the error randomly

Any one any ideas? If I uninstall and re-install will it clear the error?

Thanks

GT