Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

System Has Become Very Slow After Installing Bitdefender Internet Security 2011

Options

Hi

I have installed BitDefender Internet Security 2011 on 3 home PC's (Laptops) and since then all of the have become very slow. Each of these had different anti viruses prior to BitDefender which were removed. Can someone please help me?

Regards

RB

Comments

• I installed this new software a month ago and it has been creating so many problems in my computer since then. Since I have not installed any new software besides that, I'm gonna have to blame this one on Bit Defender Security 2011.

Descrition of problems below:

- My computer hangs pretty much every day, at least twice a day.

- Shut down is not even possible, computer just feezes and I have to force a restart

- Bit Defender says that the real time protection is disabled, so I try to enable it by 'fixing all isues' but of course that doesn't fix any issues. Restart needed every time this happens.

- Chrome freezes. Not as in freezing, freezing, I can still move my mouse around etc. but if I open new tabs, type a web address, etc. the computer just stares blank at me. Computer restart is needed (closing Chrome and opening back again doesn't work)

- The computer is SUPER slow.

I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 7.

I'm really annoyed because I paid for the 3 year license but this software ######. Wish I could get my money back. Bit Defender 2010 worked just fine!! Why did you have to go and fix it if it wasn't broken??!!

Please advise what to do, this is driving me insane. Is it possible to get the money back?

• Unknown
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hello iregalado and Kanth,

I am very sorry for the negative experience you had so far with our product. I will try to provide you with some steps to follow in order to solve this issue:

1. First and foremost, please take a look here at the recommended system requirements and make sure your computer meets them;

2. Secondly, regarding the PC freezing issue, we are currently experiencing some issues with the AVC feature. Please open BitDefender in Expert View (click on Options from the upper right corner) > go to Antivirus module > click on Advanced Settings > uncheck the Active Virus Control is enabled option, then click OK to save the change.

3. The slowdown could occur also due to a conflict with other security solutions installed on the same PC. If you have any other security solutions please remove them and then check if BitDefender is working properly.

You can also try to use a dedicated removal tool for the previous security solution you have used to make sure you delete any leftovers. This post should help you with this.

4. If the slowdown persists, you should also know that another cause for this issue could be the presence of registry/file/folder locking software, de-fragmentation tools with real time processes or real-time optimization tools. If you have this kind of software installed on your PC please temporarily turn them off and check how your PC works without them.

5. For the browsing slowdown and blank pages you should also try the following:

- open BitDefender in Expert View > go to Firewall module > Network tab > select the Adapter you are using > set the

* Network type to Home/Office

* Stealth Mode to Remote

* Generic to Yes

- go to Antivirus module > click on Custom Level > temporarily uncheck:

* Scan web (http) traffic

* Scan Windows Live Messenger traffic

* Scan Yahoo Messenger traffic

and click OK to save the changes.

I hope the above guidelines will help you with the slowdown issue. Please let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

Carmen

• Hello iregalado and Kanth,

I am very sorry for the negative experience you had so far with our product. I will try to provide you with some steps to follow in order to solve this issue:

1. First and foremost, please take a look here at the recommended system requirements and make sure your computer meets them;

2. Secondly, regarding the PC freezing issue, we are currently experiencing some issues with the AVC feature. Please open BitDefender in Expert View (click on Options from the upper right corner) > go to Antivirus module > click on Advanced Settings > uncheck the Active Virus Control is enabled option, then click OK to save the change.

3. The slowdown could occur also due to a conflict with other security solutions installed on the same PC. If you have any other security solutions please remove them and then check if BitDefender is working properly.

You can also try to use a dedicated removal tool for the previous security solution you have used to make sure you delete any leftovers. This post should help you with this.

4. If the slowdown persists, you should also know that another cause for this issue could be the presence of registry/file/folder locking software, de-fragmentation tools with real time processes or real-time optimization tools. If you have this kind of software installed on your PC please temporarily turn them off and check how your PC works without them.

5. For the browsing slowdown and blank pages you should also try the following:

- open BitDefender in Expert View > go to Firewall module > Network tab > select the Adapter you are using > set the

* Network type to Home/Office

* Stealth Mode to Remote

* Generic to Yes

- go to Antivirus module > click on Custom Level > temporarily uncheck:

* Scan web (http) traffic

* Scan Windows Live Messenger traffic

* Scan Yahoo Messenger traffic

and click OK to save the changes.

I hope the above guidelines will help you with the slowdown issue. Please let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

Carmen

Hi Carmen

Thanks for the help

I have couple of questions though

Doesn't unchecking the Active Virus option and the Monitor http /msn / yahoo messenger traffic puts my computer at risk??? Isn't exactly those threats what this antivirus is supossed to be protecting me from??? Please clarify as unless I am missing something, those measures would put my system at risk which totally defeats the purpose of having this antivirus installed.

Moreover, is Bit Defender working on releasing a patch or upgrade to this sofrware that will solve these issues?

Thanks

• Hello iregalado,

First of all, I would like to add some things to my previous post. When I am recommending you to uncheck any of the BitDefender features my goal is to understand which of the BD features are causing the slowdown on your PC. So, what I meant to say is to temporarily disable them for testing purposes.

Also, as you can see in my post, I did not mention anything about the Real Time Protection should be enable in order to protect you for any threats. The AVC, IDS, Scan http or Instant messenger traffic are extra levels of protection which are preventing the malware to enter in your PC. However, if the threats reach your PC, the Real Time Protection will catch any running malicious application or process.

And to answer your question, yes, BitDefender is working continuously to solve any issues our customers are reporting. We have released recently a product update which should solve some of the issues reported. Here you can see more details about it.

If you are using the English version of our product please start the Update process, reboot when the process is complete, check if the product update was applied (right click on the BitDefender icon from the System Tray, choose About and make sure the Build number is: 14.0.28.351) and please check if the slowdown reoccurs.

Thank you,

Carmen