Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows 7 Indexing Is Not Working In Bitdefender 2011

Options

Comments

• As you have reinstalled the Operating System, you shouldn't encounter the issue again. As already explained you during the remote session, there was something corrupted within the 32-bits OS you had installed at that time. I came to this conclusion after trying to run on your PC several patches and tools, all of them returned with the error: "Unrecognized Windows version", including the antirootkit software HiJackThis.

Considering the above please note the following: I am not trying to pose into anything, you should grant me a little more credit as I am trying my best to resolve all issues as quick as possible and provide the easiest workaround / resolution I can think of to ease the job of the person following those steps. You should also keep in mind that NONE of the security software on the Antivirus market will have the product you ask for: all software are debugged, tested, retested and again retested before being released for sale (not the mention the betas stages that each of these software goes through before a stable and final version can be released), however no matter how many precautions the respectful Company will take, you will always find bugs and flaws into any of these software. I agree that we do not have a perfect software but we are striving in resolving each and every issue that gets reported in the shortest time possible. Since you do not trust me nor my IT skills, I can pass your ticket to one of my colleagues with the Tier 2 team and he or she will assist you further.

• Hi,

Riad: please post in here the results after you used the patch. Let me know if the issue is resolved or persist and also if you encountered any issues when you used the patch.

Hi

I installd th patch and did not have any popping windows like the situation described by Tierix.

I rebuilded the Index.

It seems that the index is working back BUT searching in conracts / emails in outlook 2010 is NOT working.

Do you DanyDan have an idea how to solve that problem ?

thanks in advance

• As you have reinstalled the Operating System, you shouldn't encounter the issue again. As already explained you during the remote session, there was something corrupted within the 32-bits OS you had installed at that time. I came to this conclusion after trying to run on your PC several patches and tools, all of them returned with the error: "Unrecognized Windows version", including the antirootkit software HiJackThis.

Considering the above please note the following: I am not trying to pose into anything, you should grant me a little more credit as I am trying my best to resolve all issues as quick as possible and provide the easiest workaround / resolution I can think of to ease the job of the person following those steps. You should also keep in mind that NONE of the security software on the Antivirus market will have the product you ask for: all software are debugged, tested, retested and again retested before being released for sale (not the mention the betas stages that each of these software goes through before a stable and final version can be released), however no matter how many precautions the respectful Company will take, you will always find bugs and flaws into any of these software. I agree that we do not have a perfect software but we are striving in resolving each and every issue that gets reported in the shortest time possible. Since you do not trust me nor my IT skills, I can pass your ticket to one of my colleagues with the Tier 2 team and he or she will assist you further.

It's not you I don't trust, it's Bitdefender in general. i've spent too much time and reformated my PC too many times because of this software. Again, i'm not the only one to complain!

Anyway, so do you have a working settings saver by any chance? thnx

• the search in emails and contacts semms to be good now, a matter of settings in the index.

Still: we need a perminant solution + automatic update ASAP.

• I was emailed a solution by Bitdefender people some days ago but didn't have time to apply it until now. I applied the "solution" but unfortunately indexing is still not working!!

As being able to search my emails in Outlook is VERY important to me I will have to uninstall Bitdefender again and install a free progfram of one of your competitors. That program as I have found does not conflict with indexing!

I really find it INCREDIBLE that I have paid good money for a three year license and now I found out that your program is not compatible with an important Microsoft program!

• I was emailed a solution by Bitdefender people some days ago but didn't have time to apply it until now. I applied the "solution" but unfortunately indexing is still not working!!

As being able to search my emails in Outlook is VERY important to me I will have to uninstall Bitdefender again and install a free progfram of one of your competitors. That program as I have found does not conflict with indexing!

I really find it INCREDIBLE that I have paid good money for a three year license and now I found out that your program is not compatible with an important Microsoft program!

did you renuild the index ?

you should:

1) rebuild the current index

2) in my case i checked the "idex contents of files" and the problem in email searches was solved.

• After starting my computer this morning indexing is NOT working again and I currntly have over 300 items not indexed. I have tried every solution given to me but it simply is not working.

I think this is more than ridiculous!!!!!!

I will uninstall Bitdefender again and switch to AVG free edition which I know is hassle free.

I can't believe I paid for three years of this crappy product. I stll have almost 1000 days left on my license..................

• riad
    Options

We need an update about the perminant solution

• Unknown
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hello,

I can't tell you the exact day when the fix will be released, all I know at this time is that it will be delivered in January. When the update will be released I will post on the forums.

vins: may I have a ticket ID please ? What resolution were you sent ? The patch with the new bdselfpr driver ?

• Danydan,

you probably "didn't see" my question, so I ask it again:

do you have a working settings saver by any chance? thnx

• Leon108
    edited January 2011
    Options

Thank you for this thread. My search indexer suddenly has stopped working a few weeks ago and I had no idea what caused it until I read this thread.

I am using BDIS 2011 on Vista 32-bit.

• vins
    Options

Hi DanyDan/Daniel,

Ticket ID:201012181013221

The solution I was sent was bdselfpr_41.exe

It was sent on December 18 by Daniel Manea which I assume is you. I also emailed you that it didn't work.

Vincent

• For what it's worth, I was able to resolve this issue on my PC. I went to the 'Start Menu| BitDefender |Remove or Repair' and have it do a repair. Reboot and voila, the search indexing has been restored.

Remember to wait several minutes before checking the indexing since the 'Search Service' is set to run 'Automatic (delayed start)' so the dust has settled after the reboot before it launches.

I assume that something didn't get set in the Registry during the normal install, and doing the repair cleans up the oversight.

Give it a shot. It may work for you as well.

Good luck,

Leighton

• @Leighton: I have given it a shot and used a Repair function but it worked only for half an hour or so and then search indexer stopped working, because it was suppressed by BD. Then the usual message in the Event Viewer appeared:

"Event ID 3013 for the Windows Search Service has been suppressed 64 time(s) since 1:19:48 PM. This event is used to suppress Windows Search Service events that have occurred frequently within a short period of time."

• @BD developers: I have been using BDIS for 3 years and had some minor problems which were successfully and reasonably quickly solved with the help of tech support. But the fact that your product disables an important function in Operating System and you do not consider fixing it a priority is a disgrace. Even if you manage to fix it in January as you say, still you discomfort your customers for 2 months. And not just that.

Many of us extensively use Windows Search in our work for which we are paid. An apology from you just does not cut here, because your faulty product disables a vital Window's function, which translates to significantly reduced work efficiency = less MONEY. So, please make it your priority to fix it asap and make up for it by extending gratis the use of your product. That's the only decent thing to do. You know that there are some other vendors making similar products, right?

• @leon108

Agreed. Shortly after I tried that, it failed again. This time, it told me I didn't have any 'active antivirus protection'(words to that effect), even though I clearly had antivirus turned on. I gave up and uninstalled BDAV 2011.

I will wait until I hear that they finally have their ducks in a row before I try reinstalling BDAV. Until that happens, I will have to bite the bullet and risk running without protection.

Hopefully waiting,

Leighton

• I'm really upset by this. I know that you guys are working on something, and I don't want to sound like every irate customer out there. I was told this was the best product on the market, so I bought it. I'm sorely disappointed and I feel burned.

I'm using Vista on two computers, one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit. I'm using BitDefender Total Security. I have been having problems with my Microsoft Outlook search function as I need it for work. I am connected to a database with over 40k shared contacts. My computer has been trying to index 80,000+ items, and the number only steadily grows. The ONLY reason I was able to suspect BitDefender was because it was the only common link between both computers' outlook profiles not working when non of my coworkers had the same problem.

I have spent WEEKS trying to resolve this problem. I took time off work to try and rectify it! My work has been tremendously slow as the search index is a highly essential part of my job! I was working on this on Christmas day and New Years.

Tell me honestly, what you think I should do? I thoroughly expect a refund, but that still doesn't cut it... because I've lost an incredible amount of sleep over this ridiculous problem, formatting my computer twice (which is a heavy undertaking with my software/customizations, etc) and now I find myself here?! I found this thread, and I read every post. I see people fly off the handle, and I think they're crazy... settle down... but I get to a post made two days ago, and I'm upset that no one even has the fortitude to continue to argue this unresolved problem.

I would like to know how I can be reimbursed, please. I won't sit and throw a tantrum like others here, but this is an incredible disappointment, and I was hoping a complete fix would've been ready by now, but this uncertain promise of "January sometime" just ain't good enough.

• @Westminster

I fully agree with you. I work as an IT consultant and use my PC extensively, and the only way I can keep track of all my information that being mails or files, is by being totally depending on the Windows Index Service to be running and doing it's job.

I am running BDIS 2011 on both a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 PC, and I am facing the exact same problem as everyone else.

I selected Bitdefender beacause of mainly good reviews, prospects of compatibility and not stealing too much resources from the computer. But as many of us in this forum, I am also truely disappointed. Not only because the problem is there, but also because I am also now very tired of waiting for a solution on this issue.

So Bitdefender - please now prioritize this issue and release the update. The sooner the better.

Thanks

Henrik Borch

• riad
    Options

yesterday, suddenly; i noticed that search in emails and contacts in outlook 2010 stopeed working.

the openning the indexing properties the indexing was doing a new index (i did not ask for that)

after finishing the new index - still search in emails and contacts not working

searching for files is working

in the past i had installed the patch and wverything was working

BitDefender total secutiry 2011 is configuered to no automatic update

i did use manual update from the url recommended in this thread

?????????

• riad
    Options

today morning, search im emails and contacts is working agaim. no obvious reason. nothing thai i did.

• Yes, there was an Update last evening which fixes the problem.

• Yes, there was an Update last evening which fixes the problem.

Are you saying it's safe to turn on automatic updates again?

• Are you saying it's safe to turn on automatic updates again?

I cannot confirm that at this time as I still have indexing problems after the update. I have requested additional info from BD tech support.

Regards,

• Andy2010
    edited January 2011
    Options

I'ts working for me now with Bitdefender Antivirus 2011 under Win7 32bit.

The indexing works again and I also use automatic updates.

• The difference may be that I am running 64-bit.

Regards,

• I cannot confirm that at this time as I still have indexing problems after the update. I have requested additional info from BD tech support.

Regards,

Okay, thanks. I take it they're avoiding this thread to avoid abuse?

By the way, I'm running two Vista machines, one 32-but, the other 64-bit. My main concern is Microsoft Outlook.

• riad
    Options

today; without any action from me, the indexing service started re-indixing.

• yeah it works for me too

• riad
    Options
    yeah it works for me too

what i wanted to say is that reindexing without a user request is annoying. takes time and you can not find files as you would have.

i am still using the patch without automatic update

• yeah it works for me too

Can you please confirm what you mean here? Are you saying it works with automatic updates turned back on?

Can't believe I chose to skip using Norton or McAfee for once. This is what you get...

• tierix
    edited January 2011
    Options

I'm using BD with automatic updates and FOR NOW, it works fine.... but who knows... it might stop working again.

• vins
    Options

Well, so much for optimism! After reading on this forum about the solution I re-installed BD and updated several times but guess what......... indexing is NOT working!!!!!!

I now have three questions:

1. is it not working because I use Internet Security and not just Antivirus?

2. is not not working because I use the Dutch language version and not the English version?

and most impoortantly 3.:

wil there EVER be a solution to my problem????????????????????????????

I will uninstall BD (for the God-knows-how-manieth time!) and go back to AVG free edition.

• vins
    Options

I have just uninstalled BD and re-installed AVG Free Edition and yes of course, the index was IMMEDIATELY updated and AVG FE is a FREE program not a program for which I paid good money for a useless THREE YEARS license!

• Be patient. They've only had 48 days to find the problem. Some things take time.

In the meantime, I've fallen back on Microsoft's MSE antivirus/antimalware package. I doubt they would allow their software to interfere with the OS.

Leighton

• riad
    Options

Any News ????

• Dear Sir,

I am just want to confirm that you have fixed or not windows indexing feature in your latest update build version bit defender internet security 2011.

Because i have already uninstalled this and migrate to your old version 2010.

So please inform me you have fixed or not so that i can re-download 2011 version again.

Thanks

Pankaj grover

• I am just want to confirm that you have fixed or not windows indexing feature in your latest update build version bit defender internet security 2011.

Because i have already uninstalled this and migrate to your old version 2010.

So please inform me you have fixed or not so that i can re-download 2011 version again.

• vins
    Options

FOURTEEN days ago I posted the following:

"Well, so much for optimism! After reading on this forum about the solution I re-installed BD and updated several times but guess what......... indexing is NOT working!!!!!!

I now have three questions:

1. is it not working because I use Internet Security and not just Antivirus?

2. is not not working because I use the Dutch language version and not the English version?

and most impoortantly 3.:

wil there EVER be a solution to my problem????????????????????????????

I will uninstall BD (for the God-knows-how-manieth time!) and go back to AVG free edition."

Since then I have heard [/size]NOTHING

• Is there a perminant solution already ?

Can I activate automatic updates ?

• Guys,

We are now at 70 days since this was first reported. Anything that interferes with the OS has to be considered a major bug. It should have been dealt with in less than a week in order to preserve your credibility in the marketplace. Taking this long is inexcusable.

We've been more than patient, but I think you've tested our patience long enough.

Please tell us that you are close to a resolution to this issue.

Thanks,

Leighton

• i posted a reply nearly 2 hours ago and some one deleted it.

the reply asked wether we should downgrade to total security 2010 & i menttioned that the last manual update file is dated 27.1.11, not a week ago.

http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/bi...ender_2011/x86/

before the post was deleted i saw the name of nikki605 as logged in, may be he also saw my post before it was deleted ?

• nikki605
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i posted a reply nearly 2 hours ago and some one deleted it.

the reply asked wether we should downgrade to total security 2010 & i menttioned that the last manual update file is dated 27.1.11, not a week ago.

http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/bi...ender_2011/x86/

before the post was deleted i saw the name of nikki605 as logged in, may be he also saw my post before it was deleted ?

I didn't delete it, I moved it to it's own topic since the weekly update file you referenced is the virus definition file update and this topic is discussing indexing problems in Win7 which is a BD program issue - apples & oranges.

If you are asking about going back to the 2010 version as a workaround for the indexing issue, that would be your decision. I have experienced this indexing problem with BDAV but I have stayed with the 2011 version. On my Win7 x64 PC, I found that by temporarily turning off the antivirus module, Win7 would build the index correctly. After rebuilding the index, I turn the antivirus module back on and Windows Search works properly. Users of other BD products have reported that this workaround does not work in all cases.

Regards,

• ok,

i just uninstalled bitdefender total security 2011

i will wait untill the indexing problem solution

bitdefender should start thinking about the compensation to the users

• Just waiting for a solution.

I am very disappointed.

• Please!
  • Unknown
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hello,

a945570: do you use the English version of BitDefender ? Do you use a 32-bits or 64-bits PC ? Please go to the location where you installed BitDefender and locate the file: bdselfpr.sys.

Check the file version and post it here. Also right click on the BitDefender icon in the system tray and select 'About'. Post the BitDefender build displayed in the new window.

To check a file version you can right click on the file and select Properties. In the new window go to Details where you will find the version of bdselfpr.sys.

Ticket ID: 201103031008692.

Leighton: please check your Mail account and let me know if the issue persist after you update to the latest build 14.0.28.351. Ticket ID: 201103031008361.

Riad: how can I troubleshoot the issue with you when you uninstall the software ? The issue you encounter is not a critical issue to need to change the BitDefender version, as also Gary mentioned in his post above.

Looking forward to your answer!

• @DanyDan

I use a Dutch version of BitDefender on a 32-bits PC.

bdselfpr.sys version: 1.14.1.37

BitDefender build: 14.0.24.330

Ticket ID: 201103031008692.

• riad
    Options
    Riad: how can I troubleshoot the issue with you when you uninstall the software ? The issue you encounter is not a critical issue to need to change the BitDefender version, as also Gary mentioned in his post above.

Looking forward to your answer!

I am using other software now, but i will ne happy to retairn back to bitdifinder IF THE INDWXING PROBLEM WAS SOLVED without need to waste more time in troubleshooting that do not include AUTOMATIC UPDATE PROHOBITION !

I paid good many for 3 years licence !

Is there a perminant solution after all that time that passed ?

• januar
    Options

Hi,

I am also a Bitdefender IS 2011 user (WIN7 enterprise 32bit), had the same indexing problem. It took me a while to realise it was Bitdefender; then i found this forum. Since indexing is important for me (especially in Outlook) I uninstalled BD long ago, now I'm using free antivirus, and am just checking this forum from time to time to see if the issue has been solved or not so i can go back to BD. (After BD 2011 appeared i couldnt find the 2010 version anymore on BD webpage). However, after months, I still didnt see any confirmation from the BD people (maybe i just didnt find it?). My subscription is going to finish in less than 3 months, and I really dont see myself renewing it, so is likely I wont even install BD again. The bottom line is, I paid for a year subscription and was able to use this software for about half year. Not impressed.

• Hello,

a945570: please update BitDefender to the latest build released on 10.03.2011. File bdselfpr.sys (version 1.14.1.39) and let me know if the issue is now resolved.

For everyone posting in this topic, please note that there are two separate indexing issues: one in Outlook Express and one with the Windows 7 indexing service. The indexing issue in Outlook has been resolved with the release of the new bdselfpr.sys file embedded into the latest BitDefender build, 14.0.28.351.

The Windows Indexing issue is still working on and a fix will be available with the next build release. In order to help us reduce the time until a permanent and general fix is found, please provide us with the following info:

- on what BitDefender version does the issue reproduce (product, product language, PC architecture, BitDefender build);

- does this happen all the time? (try to disable Real Time Protection then start to build a new index to see if the indexing is working as intended);

- please attach a SupportTool report log file. Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic;

- before trying to use the Windows Indexing Service wait let's say 15 minutes before you attempt to use the Indexing service, as its startup type is Automatic - delayed;

Riad: you had what indexing issue when using BitDefender ? Outlook or Windows related ? If you had the Outlook one feel free to install BitDefender. If you have the Windows one, I will send you a notification via email as soon as the fix will be available.

Januar: I created a ticket on your behalf with ID: 201103211006359. Please check your email for further instructions on how to respond to your query and also resolve the issue you encounter.

Best regards,