Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Is Slowing Internet

Options
~* I have Total Security 2011. *~

Hello, I recently reinstalled BitDefender and now my internet connection is extremely slow. Pages take for ever to load and this is irritating. I think that I must have some option set that is taking pages longer to load as previously it worked fine. When I reinstalled it all the factory settings were enabled again. Please help me ASAP. I would like to know what I could switch off in order for the internet to run faster or any other solutions. Thanks!

Comments

• Which Windows OS? Which web browser? How much RAM is installed? What speed CPU?

Do you have any other security software program installed or recently uninstalled?

You stated "reinstalled" - did you first use the BD uninstall tool to completely remove all traces of any previous install?

Regards,

• ~* I have Total Security 2011. *~

Hello, I recently reinstalled BitDefender and now my internet connection is extremely slow. Pages take for ever to load and this is irritating. I think that I must have some option set that is taking pages longer to load as previously it worked fine. When I reinstalled it all the factory settings were enabled again. Please help me ASAP. I would like to know what I could switch off in order for the internet to run faster or any other solutions. Thanks!

I am having the same problem. I am using Windows XP, Google Chrome, 2 GB Ram, 1.6ghz, No other security software. I just upgraded from BD 2009 Total Security and had no problems with that version or with internet connection speed being slow. What do you suggest?

• I am having the same problem. I am using Windows XP, Google Chrome, 2 GB Ram, 1.6ghz, No other security software. I just upgraded from BD 2009 Total Security and had no problems with that version or with internet connection speed being slow. What do you suggest?

I have XP, Chrome, 2GB RAM, and I think 1.6 ghz. I had the 09 version too and it was the best. Then I updated it to TS2011. It was good for awhile then the scans never worked and was terribly slow when I had BD software running. Then I uninstalled it the reinstalled it and now it's slow.

I really need help soon. This is affect my business now.

• I have it set on Permissive now. It is one of those options that is slowing it down. Any ideas? I can just make a custom level and remove whatever option is slowing the internet.

• Okay, now even on Permissive it's slow. I paid 70 something dollars for this and now it's messing with my CPU.

• Hello JCC1004,

How have you uploaded from the 2009 version to the new 2011 ? Please post the steps you took to upgrade.

Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hello JCC1004,

How have you uploaded from the 2009 version to the new 2011 ? Please post the steps you took to upgrade.

Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

Looking forward to your answer!

I don't see ow that could be the problem. This issue only occurred after I uninstalled BitDefender and then reinstalled it. The first time I uploaded 2011 it worked good for awhile then none of the scans worked and it was really slow. The scan would error. So I reinstall and scan yesterday. It errored too and said 3 infected files. How do I get rid of these if the scan didn't fully complete? These may be why my computer is slow! How to I fix the scans so they don't error? I need these infected files fixed ASAP! How do I do this before my computer crashes!!!!

I bought the 2011 online and went through all the processes and installed it. It told me to remove the previous BitDefender which I did. Then I installed it and everything went fine.

I followed those steps and now things are running a bit faster. I still have those 3 infected files that were detected by the scan before it errored.

Here's a screen shot of the scan error message.

Large image, use link instead.

• Hello,

I created a ticket on your behalf and sent instructions via email on how to generate and send us the scan log. Please follow the steps then attach as a reply to my email the log file so I can provide you with the steps to take to clean your PC.

Ticket ID: 201103141007576.

Kind regards,

• Hello,

I still haven't received any logs from you. Any news on the issue you encounter ?

• Update: received the logs via PM. Sent them for analysis to the respectful department. As soon as it will be finished, you'll receive an answer via email.

Regards,

• ntvolli
    Options

The really angry is that the problem really addressed countless times in the forum (particularly in English) so it was not an isolated case. It is also - at least for us - know where the problem lies: BitDefender can not properly deal with streams and doesn not allows the termination of a stream lädet but not to the video (or mp3 streams) more diligently. It ignores the end signal of the server. I do not understand why the matter is not further look at BitDefender. We basically for a dynamic description of the problem - the solution must take care but BitDefender.

Thus, eventually alienated the most loyal customers! There are enough security suites that work easily and change to one can!

Until then

Olli

• eeddings@cfl.rr.com
    edited May 2011
    Options

I'm new to BitDefender and these forums. I installed Total 2011 last night on my i7 920 Bloomfield/4GB RAM/Vista 64-Professional and I have to say I am *very* impressed. I see no slow down at all on my PC.

Today I installed Total 2011 on my wife's machine, and like many others, experienced the slowdown of which others speak. IE8 was crawling. I made sure I had no other AV/malware/spyware utilities installed before installing it, so that wasn't the problem. I ran Tune-Up tasks like Registry Cleaner and PC Clean-Up. Her computer is a Celeron running XP Professional with only 1/2 a GB of RAM, so it is barely meeting minimum requirements for BitDefender's software. AHA! I began to wonder if I'll be able to run it on her machine at all.

I came to these forums, and tried a few of the suggestions I've seen in other posts (turn off ACV, IDS, verified Firewall Network LAN settings, etc.). Nothing seemed to pull her computer completely out of the mud, but turning off ACV and IDS may have improved speed slightly (no changes made to Firewall Network LAN settings -- already had the suggested settings). Then, I went into Custom Level and Turned off IM scanning and web traffic scanning. BAM! Her PC instanly sped up.

I know it isn't ideal, but it works.

• nikki605
    edited May 2011
    Options

eeddings - if it's any consolation, I have scan http & IM traffic turned off on my older WinXP desktop and have never had a problem. Of course, your results may vary depending on what websites your wife visits, but under normal web usage, I've not had a problem leaving these options disabled.

One note, I do have AVC enabled (BD default) and have not seen any performance degradation. I would recommend that you enable AVC. IDS should have already been disabled, again, the BD default.

Regards,

EDIT: I forgot to add... welcome to the BD support site! :)

• Unknown
    Options

Hi,

Considering your wife's PC details and performance, I would recommend you to install on it the 2009 version. If you have a 7 digit license key please note that we need to change it so you can use the same key to register BitDefender on both PCs.

As a second option, you can reduce the number of options enabled on that PC so you will speed it up. As an example: parental control module if no children are using that PC.

If you have any further queries or requests feel free to contact us anytime!

Regards,

• nikki605
    Options

eeddings - Just to follow-up on DanyDan's post, he helped me do the exact same thing with my 3-PC license that he is recommending for your and your wife's PC. If you look in my signature at the bottom of this post, you'll see that I am running the 2009 version of BDAV on my 10-year old IBM ThinkPad laptop that only has 512MB RAM (the max it can take) and a 1GHz CPU. He switched me from the 7-digit license key and everything has been running fine. :)

(My personal testimonial)

Regards,