Outlook Cannot Download Emails With Larger Than 1 Mg Attachments

Since last Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011, we have not been able to receive any emails, in Outlook, with attachments larger than 1 meg. We had no problems before that.

When I turn BD off the emails download with no problem (even a 6 meg attachment). When I turn BD back on, that same 6 meg file will not download.

Anyone else have or has had this problem??

Don't know what to do. It is crucial for our business to be able to receive large files.

Comments

• Hello,

What you mean by 'turn BD off' ? What module or option do you disable for the issue to be resolved ? Also please follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

Looking forward to your answer!

• This just started happening to me as well. However to get around the issue I had to temporarily disable Anti Virus and Anti Spam. I tried either one by themselves and did not work. They both have to turned off. I am running Windows XP, Outlook 2003 and BitDefender 2011 - Build 14.0.28.351

• I am having the same problem too, since Thursday Feb 17th.

I am also running Windows XP, Outlook 2003 and BitDefender 2011 - Build 14.0.28.351.

I sure hope someone figures this out quick. Very frustrating.

• Hello,

What you mean by 'turn BD off' ? What module or option do you disable for the issue to be resolved ? Also please follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

We are also running Windows XP, Outlook 2003 and BD 2011. When I turn off "Scan Incoming Email" in BD Antivirus there is no problem, emails with large attachments download fine, when I turn it back on same email with same attachment will not download. Could it have been something in an update on the February 16??? or 17th????.

• Unknown
    edited February 2011

Hello,

I am currently investigating the issue and conducting several tests. As soon as I will finish, I will create tickets for everyone in here and add them into this post.

Ticket IDs:

rparch: 201102241008071;

Confusedtoo: 201102241008153;

bryman55: 201102241008179;

Bryman55: please try to keep both Antispam and Antivirus enabled and ONLY disable the option: 'Scan incoming emails' and let me know if the issue is resolved.

Scan incoming emails option can be found under: Antivirus -> Shield -> Custom Level button -> Scan incoming emails

• Hello,

I have just registered on the forum because I have much the same problem. I am running XP Home SP3, Outlook 2003 and BDTS2011 build 14.0.23.

I was sent two emails with attachments of about 3MB yesterday but could not receive them. I last received larger files such as these 2-3 weeks ago without difficulty.

Outlook appears to download most of the attachment and then 'stalls' almost at the end, when there is 0.01Mb or less to go. It then just sits there until I cancel Send/Receive. There are no error messages no matter how long I wait. I have tried sending myself different size files and the limit seems to be about 1MB.

After rebooting and various other attempts to fix the problem, I tried turning off BD antivirus real time protection and then BD firewall but these had no effect. I found this thread a few hours ago so tried turning both off together as suggested by bryman55 - again no luck.

Then I saw DanyDan's latest post and tried turning off 'scan incoming emails' only. Strangely, even after rebooting and checking that the 'incoming' box is still unchecked, when I try to receive an email I still get the 'scanning incoming email' pop-up and it stalls the same as before.

I hope this information is helpful and you find a solution soon!

• Hello,

I have just registered on the forum because I have much the same problem. I am running XP Home SP3, Outlook 2003 and BDTS2011 build 14.0.23.

I was sent two emails with attachments of about 3MB yesterday but could not receive them. I last received larger files such as these 2-3 weeks ago without difficulty.

Outlook appears to download most of the attachment and then 'stalls' almost at the end, when there is 0.01Mb or less to go. It then just sits there until I cancel Send/Receive. There are no error messages no matter how long I wait. I have tried sending myself different size files and the limit seems to be about 1MB.

After rebooting and various other attempts to fix the problem, I tried turning off BD antivirus real time protection and then BD firewall but these had no effect. I found this thread a few hours ago so tried turning both off together as suggested by bryman55 - again no luck.

Then I saw DanyDan's latest post and tried turning off 'scan incoming emails' only. Strangely, even after rebooting and checking that the 'incoming' box is still unchecked, when I try to receive an email I still get the 'scanning incoming email' pop-up and it stalls the same as before.

I hope this information is helpful and you find a solution soon!

Wychweys,

What I have to do is go to Options>Preferences and turn off BOTH Antivirus and Antispam. It won't work with just one turned off. Once the email has downloaded, I go back in and turn them both on again. Try this and see if it works. I know it's not a solution, but they are working on that.

• Thanks Confusedtoo - that worked!

I had previously tried turning off antivirus and firewall together but not antivirus and antispam. I have now tried with antispam and scan incoming emails off (but the rest of antivrus on) and that is OK too.

As you say, these are only workarounds until BD sort out a proper solution.

• Hi Dan,

Yes that method does work however I prefer to just disable momentarily with the other method because the rest of the day I do not get emails that exceed 1MB and I would rather have it scanning incoming emails the rest of the day.

Thank you for the support.

Bryan

Hello,

I am currently investigating the issue and conducting several tests. As soon as I will finish, I will create tickets for everyone in here and add them into this post.

Ticket IDs:

rparch: 201102241008071;

Confusedtoo: 201102241008153;

bryman55: 201102241008179;

Bryman55: please try to keep both Antispam and Antivirus enabled and ONLY disable the option: 'Scan incoming emails' and let me know if the issue is resolved.

Scan incoming emails option can be found under: Antivirus -> Shield -> Custom Level button -> Scan incoming emails

• Thanks for the confirmation Brian. We have already started working on a fix, fix that will be available soon via Automatic Update Module within BitDefender.

• Thanks for the confirmation Brian. We have already started working on a fix, fix that will be available soon via Automatic Update Module within BitDefender.

Some of us support hundreds of clients who have had these problems. Please announce when the fix has been distributed so that we know when to go back to all those clients and re-enable incoming email scanning.

Thanks,

Ben

• Hi Dan,

Yes that method does work however I prefer to just disable momentarily with the other method because the rest of the day I do not get emails that exceed 1MB and I would rather have it scanning incoming emails the rest of the day.

Thank you for the support.

Bryan

DanyDan, thank you for your work towards a solution for this problem. Has the fix been released at this time?

Thanks,

Ben Askew

• Hi.

Today is NOT working yet and my clients are angry with me and Bitdefender.

BitDefender Internet Security 2011 spanish version, last update.

How Long we have to wait for normally work?.

Thanks.

Joss

• Unknown
    edited March 2011

Hello,

Joss: my colleagues from the Spanish Support Team contacted you via email with details about the issue you encounter.

Ben: do you encounter this issue with a end-user product or a business one ? My colleague Adriana from the Business Team sent you a PM. Please check it and send her the requested.

I have asked for a status on the fix from the Dev. team. I will post it by the end of the week.

• Hello,

Joss: my colleagues from the Spanish Support Team contacted you via email with details about the issue you encounter.

Ben: do you encounter this issue with a end-user product or a business one ? My colleague Adriana from the Business Team sent you a PM. Please check it and send her the requested.

I have asked for a status on the fix from the Dev. team. I will post it by the end of the week.

I just replied to Adriana....specifically, I have a large base of customers who all have the Home Office BitDefender Antivirus Pro 2011 version installed on their machines. The 2010 version is not exhibiting the problem....only the 2011 version.

Thank you for your feedback. I had mentioned to Adriana that I was a bit disappointed to see no response for several days. I stand corrected now and offer you an apology. This seemingly small problem is indeed embarrassing to me and to BitDefender because of the fairly large number of my customers who have been affected. Since I specify that they use BitDefender, they look at me with a little suspicion when things like this go wrong.

Thanks again,

Ben

• I seem to be having the same problem but with Outlook Express (XP) and Windows Live Mail (Win 7). With BitDefender AntiVirus Pro 2011 Real-Time protection enabled, larger file attachments are corrupted on incoming emails. With Real-Time protection disabled, larger file attachments are not corrupted on incoming emails. This has been happening since at least Feb 22, 2011. Latest updates to BD have not resolved this issue. I am getting a "Server Error Number: 0x800420CD" message with the corrupted emails.

• I have the same situation here. 9 licenses of Bitdefender Internet Security 2011, fresh bought in Feb 2011. The situation is very delicate because what can I said to my client? Here is an IT consulting company. If I screw this contract because of your incapacity to deal problem since 17 feb is not to good for me and I will assure that will not be too good for you. Till now i presumed to my client that ISP connection or mail server is guilty.. but tomorrow I have a meeting with them and I will advice to ask for money back and stop the contract with Bitdefender. I also am a resseler of your product and I am sorry that I must be in that situation.

I read all previous post and I recognize all my problems. i have many combination in that office.. Microsoft Office 2003, Microsoft Office 2007 and Outlook expres. I have windows xp and vista there.

If I disabled antivirus scan and antispam filter everything is ok but is badly solution. I can't be in location all the time on every big mail received.

Another thing... My big emails is blocked at last 2-3 kb downloaded. Seem that something crash the attashed files.

• Hello,

I have created tickets for both Greenire and Brimbey. The tickets IDs are:

Greenire: 201103091007585

Brimbey: 201103091007733.

I would recommend you, as a workaround until we release the fix to resolve this issue, to keep the option to 'Scan incoming emails' disabled. Note that even with this option disabled, all your downloaded attachments will be scanned by the Real Time Protection module of BitDefender so the PCs are 100 % protected against any possible threats.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us anytime!

Best regards,

• Hello,

I have created tickets for both Greenire and Brimbey. The tickets IDs are:

Greenire: 201103091007585

Brimbey: 201103091007733.

I would recommend you, as a workaround until we release the fix to resolve this issue, to keep the option to 'Scan incoming emails' disabled. Note that even with this option disabled, all your downloaded attachments will be scanned by the Real Time Protection module of BitDefender so the PCs are 100 % protected against any possible threats.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us anytime!

Best regards,

Any idea of when the fix will be ready? It's been 3 weeks.

• I have just spent two days blaming everything except BD for my problems. I too have the issue with downloads. My set up is XP SP3, Outlook 2003 and BD Antivirus Pro 2011. About two weeks ago I started experiencing multiple downloads of the same mail in Outlook. The mails had attachments over 1mB but were all corrupted and would not open. I blamed Outlook and installed Zimbra but the problem was still there.

Today I sent the same file attachment, a PDF of 2.1mB to both my Gmail and work (Outlook) e mail addresses. The Gmail went through and the attachment opened ok. The mail to the work address, received on Outlook just hangs with about 100k to go but gives no error message. The attachment opens ok when I access my work address through my hosts web mail portal so no issue there.

The only way I can get the mail to download is to go to Shield and turn off Real Time protection. In four year of using BD and recommending to anyone who would listen I have never had an issue but this only began when I installed 2011 two weeks ago.

• I created an account just so I can respond to this thread. I am also having the exact same issue after the last Bitdefender update. It is now March 12, 2011 and there is still no fix. This is very unacceptable. We have bitdefender on 3 machines and all of them have the same problem. Since we use these machines for business this has caused nothing but a headache. If the issue is not resolved by Monday I will have no choice but to remove Bitdefender and go with a different solution which is a shame since I have used and promoted Bitdefender since 2009. Come on guys, fix your software!

• Hello,

I would like to point out the fact that the issue can be resolved in two ways: either disable the 'Scan Incoming emails' from Antivirus -> Shield -> Custom Level

The second way to fix the issue is to disable the Antispam module.

Please let me know how are each of you able to resolve the issue. We are almost done with testing the issue and to isolate a general fix for it however, for the time being, I have no ETA on the resolution release time.

I have created tickets for both of you Gerry and Adrenalin with the following IDs:

Gerry: 201103131012676;

Adrenalin: 201103131012709;

Please send me the requested log files so I can pass them to the Dev team to see if any new info can be found to help us resolve the issue faster.

Best regards,

• Hi. Can I please be allocated a case number also, I have multiple clients with this issue.

XPSP3 / BDIS2011 / OUTLOOK 2003 & 2007.

Thanks, this fix is urgently required as anything that requires an end user to disable security is not a fix.

Thanks in advance...

• Hi there! I just discovered this thread. I'm having exactly the same issue with Outlook 2003, and I've been working around it for a few weeks by either switching off BitDefender when checking email (which sort of defeats the purpose), or cleaning out my mailbox via webmail, which is inconvenient.

I entered a support ticket earlier today (201103191010248), and it appears that my Technical Support Engineer was unaware of this ongoing problem. I tried his suggested solution (increasing the time-out from default), which didn't work, so I'm pointing him to this thread. Hi George!

DanyDan, I tried your suggestion re: disabling the scanning of incoming emails, and that seems to work, so thanks for that! You also mentioned log files...would it be helpful for me to send you my log files? If so, please tell me which files and where to find them.

But obviously it would be nice to have that functionality re-enabled sometime in the future. :)

I hope that you folks are close to a solution, and I will be checking this thread regularly to see if one has been reached.

• It would be nice to be able to edit your posts...

DanyDan, I just saw where you linked to instructions re: log files.

Please let me know if you would like me to do that as well.

• Hello,

I would like to point out the fact that the issue can be resolved in two ways: either disable the 'Scan Incoming emails' from Antivirus -> Shield -> Custom Level

The second way to fix the issue is to disable the Antispam module.

Please let me know how are each of you able to resolve the issue. We are almost done with testing the issue and to isolate a general fix for it however, for the time being, I have no ETA on the resolution release time.

I have created tickets for both of you Gerry and Adrenalin with the following IDs:

Gerry: 201103131012676;

Adrenalin: 201103131012709;

Please send me the requested log files so I can pass them to the Dev team to see if any new info can be found to help us resolve the issue faster.

Best regards,

Hi!

My configuration: Windows XP Professional SP3 + Outlook Express 6 + BDIS2011; both Windows and BitDefender are fresh installed yesterday.

Issue: When receveing several email from a POP/SMTP server, OE hangs up after partial downloading of emails.

I've made some test this morning: 4 emails to receive, with no attachment, all 4 messages under 200 kB.

Results:

1) Antispam enabled + Scan incoming mail checked: OE fails to receive mails from the very first email ("A time-out occured while communicating with the server.[...] Error Number: 0x800CCC19")

2) Antispam disabled + Scan incoming mail checked: no problem

3) Antispam enabled + Scan incoming mail unchecked: no problem

I hope this will help troubleshouting the issue.

• Unknown
    edited March 2011

Hello Gabriel.b,

This issue was resolved and a fix was released yesterday via BitDefender Automatic Update module. Please read the following topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=25306

@Pjw: an answer was sent to your email address in response to the ticket ID: 201103191010248.

Please confirm that the issue is now resolved.

Regards,

• Hello Gabriel.b,

This issue was resolved and a fix was released yesterday via BitDefender Automatic Update module. Please read the following topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=25306

@Pjw: an answer was sent to your email address in response to the ticket ID: 201103191010248.

Please confirm that the issue is now resolved.

Regards,

Hello DanyDan,

Thank you for these good news!

I will restore normal setting in BD and tomorrow (in order to retrieve more messages at once from email server) I'll see what will happen.

Best regards!

• Please confirm that the issue is now resolved.

I just tried and it seems that the problem is solved.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Gabriel

• I already confirmed via email last week that the issue is solved, but I'm doing so here as well, just in case someone else visits this topic. :)

Thanks for the fix--it's much appreciated!

• Cool, thanks everyone for the feedback. I will consider the case resolved therefore this topic is now closed :)

For further queries feel free to create a new topic and explain the situation there. You'll have my answer in the shortest time possible.

Best regards,

This discussion has been closed.