Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[escalated]Game Mode Wont Turn On

Options

So eversince i bought Bitdefender i have had problems with games all the time, by turning them on, playing them etc. And Game Mode has always fixed it. Let me make an example: Minecraft, when i try to turn it on without GAME MODE, then is gives me an error ("could not create Java virtual machine"), but with GAME MODE it runs perfectly, now the second game is Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2, everytime i turn it on without GAME MODE, it gives me an error ("application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018)"). Now today i suddenly cant turn Game Mode on, i mean, the icon appears and everything says its on game mode but not a single game wont run, since most of my games run on Game Mode, but now none of them start, with or without Game Mode. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING: run as administrator, turn everything off( antivirus,antiphinishing, firewall etc . I mean EVERYTHING on the BitDefender but still none of them will work, so i would really like you to explain me, what is going on, and how to fix it. Earlier today there was an update that required a restart, maybe that is the issue. I run a 64 bit Windows 7. Please reply as fast as possibr otherwise i need to uninstall Bitdefender.

Comments

• colingsmith
    Options

I have the same problem with Minecraft i.e. "could not create Java virtual machine". I had Game mode set to automatic and had added Minecraft to the allowed list. Worked fine until a day ago. Interestingly Bitdefender has updated (yesterday or the day before - can't remember which) and required a reboot, after which Minecraft stopped working.

I have tried forcing Game mode to permanently on, turning off anti-virus, anti-spam, and firewall, and turning off all of them with Game mode forced to on. Still fails.

Just to prove it is BitDefender, I uninstalled BitDefender completely and the game runs without a problem. Re-install and it fails.

I do find the lastest version of BitDefender (2011) rather flaky in a number of respects.

FWIW I am running BitDefender Total Security 2011, Windows 7 Home Professional 64bit. I have plenty of memory and disk free.

Could someone please tell me how to tweak the settings, or release a patch, or give me an awfully good reason why I should put up with this rather than put BitDefender in the bin and find an alternative product.

Thanks

• I have the same problem with Minecraft i.e. "could not create Java virtual machine". I had Game mode set to automatic and had added Minecraft to the allowed list. Worked fine until a day ago. Interestingly Bitdefender has updated (yesterday or the day before - can't remember which) and required a reboot, after which Minecraft stopped working.

I have tried forcing Game mode to permanently on, turning off anti-virus, anti-spam, and firewall, and turning off all of them with Game mode forced to on. Still fails.

Just to prove it is BitDefender, I uninstalled BitDefender completely and the game runs without a problem. Re-install and it fails.

I do find the lastest version of BitDefender (2011) rather flaky in a number of respects.

FWIW I am running BitDefender Total Security 2011, Windows 7 Home Professional 64bit. I have plenty of memory and disk free.

Could someone please tell me how to tweak the settings, or release a patch, or give me an awfully good reason why I should put up with this rather than put BitDefender in the bin and find an alternative product.

Thanks

Well since Windows 7 wont let disable Bitdefender, there are only two ways to get around it. One way is to uninstall Bitdefender but that is kinda awkard, since i bought the ###### antivirus they should fix it. But the support here is kinda low. Second way is to go -> Run type in msconfig then choose startup from the tab and make sure Bitdefender wont start with windows .

BTW... Im running Bitdefender Internet Security 2011

• Unknown
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hello,

Please provide me with a screenshot of the error you receive along with the complete steps you take until the issue occur AND also a support tool log file. Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

Looking forward to your answer!

Kind regards,

P.S. The average response time is 48 hours so please have patience. Thank you for understanding.

• colingsmith
    Options

Here is the scren shot.

It won't let me PM you the log file as it says I'm not allowed to upload the zip file iiself. There's a bunch of files in the zip - exactly which ones do you need?

post-4811-1301759272_thumb.jpg

• Here is the scren shot.

It won't let me PM you the log file as it says I'm not allowed to upload the zip file iiself. There's a bunch of files in the zip - exactly which ones do you need?

Forum rules do not allow certain file types to be directly uploaded or sent by PM. Instead, follow these steps:

1. Upload the created file HERE. The SendSpace website will then display a 'Download Link' for the file.

2. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

Regards,

• Well i cant provide my screenshots in the next 7 hours to a day, but i wanted you to consider to look in what did Bitdefender update in itself on that date 01.04.2011. Because i am 90% shure it has to do with the update, because i was in my computer most of the day and i used minecraft somewhere around 2pm - 6pm (GMT +2) and it was fine. Now if my memory serves me right i tried to turn it on somewhere around 9pm and then it says ( could not create java virtual machine ), the Game Mode was on and i tried every possible thing i can turn off on Bitdefender but still kept on saying ( could not create java virtual machine ) . It is a known problem you can read around Google, that if you wont turn on Bitdefenders Game Mode a lot of games just wont run, but now you can turn it on at all. So i would suggest you look at your updates for Game Mode.

Thanks

• PROBLEM FIXED !

I dont know what happened, but i was on my way to uninstall and decided to repair. I pressed repair program and restarted and everything was malfunctioning in the program. Then i updated BitDefender and Voila ! Everything worked.

Thanks ,

• PROBLEM FIXED !

I dont know what happened, but i was on my way to uninstall and decided to repair. I pressed repair program and restarted and everything was malfunctioning in the program. Then i updated BitDefender and Voila ! Everything worked.

Thanks ,

Thanks for taking the time to post your success. :)

Regards,

• colingsmith
    Options

I wish it was fixed for me - but it isn't. Tried the repair,reboot, update (and again reboot), set gomme mode to enabled, NAH! Failed, samer Java machine error.

Gotta say, Bitdefender 2011 is way more flaky that 2010 - this isn't the only problem I'vr had. Once the subscription runs out on all my PCs, it's going in the bin.

PROBLEM FIXED !

Thanks ,

• I'm having the same issue, currently. Will now try the "repair" trick.

• TheTwelve
    edited April 2011
    Options

Did the repair option, led to me rebooting my computer twice, game (Pandora Saga) still will not start, even when I put game mode ON.

Bitdefender has been great for me for years now so I'll patiently await a patch or fix of some sort.

I'm having the same issue, currently. Will now try the "repair" trick.

• Unknown
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hello,

The issue that you have reported has been acknowledged by our team and is currently being worked on for a fix. The fix will be done by means of automatic update and won't require any additional action from your part.Please rest assured that we will let you know about the fix as soon as we will launch it.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience that we may have created and we rest at your disposal for further information.

Regarding the error "Could not create the Java virtual machine" error try to install the application below depending on your PC architecture and let me know if the issue still persist:

Click HERE to download Java Runtime Enviromental - 32bits

Click HERE to download Java Runtime Enviromental - 64bits

Also provide me with the file gamemode.xml located in the BitDefender installation folder. Default location:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\Settings

- when you have located the file upload it HERE then send me a PM with the download link. Last but not least also include the following information:

- the exact game/program name and version you try to open and fails;

- the error message you receive;

- if you have the Game Mode Enabled or Disabled;

- Operating System and PC architecture (32-bits or 64-bits);

- BitDefender product you are currently using;

As soon as each of you will provide me with the details above, I will create an email ticket so we can easily troubleshoot the issue or to let you know when the fix was released. Thank you for your support and patience.

Best regards,

• colingsmith
    Options

Interesting.

Accrding to the Java (Sun) website I have the latest version (6 24). Nonetheless I downloaded the software at the link you sent, and now it works. Most bizarre. Let's see if it continues after a reboot or another day. In the meantime I'll send you the information requested. Thanks for your help - look forward to the permanent fix.

• conjo828
    edited April 2011
    Options

For the repair trick now. Im just going over it one more time so that others can get this to try again.

- First go to Control Panel, go programs and features ( place where you can uninstall them )

- Second choose Bitdefender, and select Repair, there was some selection in there, and i choosed to get my original setting back that were, when i installed it

- It repairs and requires a reboot i think

- Then, when your computer rebooted, press update ( it made an 50MB update for me, which was odd but fixed it )

- And you will need to do another reboot and then it worked

Maybe it was just a miracle that it got back working but its fine now.

And BTW, couple a days ago another update made that, til now the programs that didnt run without Game Mode, do run now.

• Oh the problem started again, alright guys. If this isnt fixed for the next day, im uninstalling and changing the software permanently. Im not going to figure out how to fix it next, and damage my computer with these constant reboots and downloading, installing, deleting . I like BitDefender because of its features but this is probrably a major bug and im done messing with it.

• I am having this same issue which is affecting ventrilo from connecting.

I play WoW and other internet games which are not affected by game mode being on or not, but when I first installed BitDefender IS 2011 back in January or so I always had to turn on game mode to get ventrilo to work. If I forget to turn on game mode, ventrilo will connect for a split second then crash completely and I get a windows message popup that says "Ventrilo Client Program has stopped working." and it looks for a solution.

Now I was just gone on a 2 week vacation to come back and try to play w/ my friends and talk on vent, but my vent doesn't work even though I turn game mode on. It is giving me the same exact message and acting like game mode is off still. What gives?! This needs to be fixed asap! I don't want to have to uninstall BitDefender which I paid buttloads of money for just to get my vent to work again.

• Hello,

Conjo828: All I can do for you at this point since you do not want to try to troubleshoot anymore, is to assure you that we are working towards a resolution that will come with the next major BitDefender build. Also all the other issues you encountered while playing games will be resolved in the same time. I will let everyone know as soon as the fix will be released. Also, for those who will be eligible for it, a license key extension will be requested, for the period we worked on the fix.

IrishGiant: I created a ticket on your behalf with ID: 201104091005264. Please let me know if the proposed workaround resolved the issue or the Vent is still blocked by BitDefender.

• Well could you please tell us the estimated time, that how long is this gonna take. Just possibly when will this update be released.

• Hello,

I will have an answer by Tuesday I believe. I will keep everyone up to date by posting either the build fixes or confirming in this topic that the resolution have been released via the Automatic Update module within BitDefender.

Once again please accept our apologies for this inconvenience, we rest at your disposal for any future queries you may have.

Kind regards,

• Any further information on this problem?

• barnabus
    edited April 2011
    Options

I have the same problem, I tried the repair option via control panel, and now BitDefender will not work at all, and i keep getting reboot popups now and then, and it keeps complaining about no internet access when i clearly have internet access to be able to post this message. BD says i have 6 issues and i can not resolve any of them, the only thing t hat works is the update function, as soon as i try to open BD or do anything else the program crashes.

• Same problem here, this is very frustrating......

• I have the same problem, I tried the repair option via control panel, and now BitDefender will not work at all, and i keep getting reboot popups now and then, and it keeps complaining about no internet access when i clearly have internet access to be able to post this message. BD says i have 6 issues and i can not resolve any of them, the only thing t hat works is the update function, as soon as i try to open BD or do anything else the program crashes.

Same problem here, this is very frustrating......

Yes i had the same problem when i used repair, said 6 issues, program was crashing and nothing worked, but when i pressed update, it updated and was working fine.

Support how long are we waiting for the fix. I uninstalled the software a week ago and everything is working fine AND faster. But i still intend to reinstall when the update is released since i paid for this. I wont be extending my license.

• I'm almost embarrased to say I solved my issue... turns out I had Jave 32bit installed on my 64bit computer.... uninstalled 32bit and installed 64bit with DanyDan's link and now minecraft works perfectly.

• I'm almost embarrased to say I solved my issue... turns out I had Jave 32bit installed on my 64bit computer.... uninstalled 32bit and installed 64bit with DanyDan's link and now minecraft works perfectly.

How does one check which version is installed?

• TheTwelve
    edited April 2011
    Options

Any progress?

• BlueBull
    Options

I seem to have FINALLY found a solution. You need to add 3 files to the bitdefender exclusion list (under advanced settings in the virusscan module). Before I only added 2 of them, and this did not work. The files you need to add are "iw4mp.exe", "iw4mp.dat" and "steam_api.dll" (see the picture below for details)

You may need to select to view all files when searching for the exclusion you want, because by default Bitdefender only shows the .exe files...

It needs to look like this, but with your own game path instead of the one from the example of course:

cd3931d9fe0c3e3a2add5ac477f85f93.png

This made Modern Warfare 2 run once again...

I hope I was of some help

Kind Regards

BlueBull

• Lann094
    Options

Has there been any news on the Minecraft issue? There's multiple posts on the Minecraft forums having the same issue, so it's not an isolated case.

• zincharn
    Options

I'm having this problem also for Pandora Saga.

I have tried everything, and the game works perfectly fine when Bitdefender 2011 Internet Security is uninstalled.

I'ved tried adding it to the antivirus exclusion list, firewall, turned game mode on, turned off all aspects of the antivirus, etc.

I've gotten this game to work earlier in the year back when I had the same problem. Now that I have come back to it, its having the same problems again.

• BlueBull
    Options
    I'm having this problem also for Pandora Saga.

I have tried everything, and the game works perfectly fine when Bitdefender 2011 Internet Security is uninstalled.

I'ved tried adding it to the antivirus exclusion list, firewall, turned game mode on, turned off all aspects of the antivirus, etc.

I've gotten this game to work earlier in the year back when I had the same problem. Now that I have come back to it, its having the same problems again.

I suspect you're going to have to find out which files bitdefender blocks (see my post above for an example for Modern Warfare 2, these settings solved my problems). And then add these files to EVERY exclusion list in Bitdefender (meaning also the one located under advanced settings in the virusscan console, again see post above for details where this is located).

Files that are blocked alot (usually dynamic files, which change during gameplay) are .dat files, .exe files, some .dll files etcetera.

Sorry I can't help you any more but I don't know which files they are...

Bitdefender support would do well to follow up closely on this, because I think it affects ALOT more users then us few...

regards

BlueBull

• zincharn
    Options
    I suspect you're going to have to find out which files bitdefender blocks (see my post above for an example for Modern Warfare 2, these settings solved my problems). And then add these files to EVERY exclusion list in Bitdefender (meaning also the one located under advanced settings in the virusscan console, again see post above for details where this is located).

Files that are blocked alot (usually dynamic files, which change during gameplay) are .dat files, .exe files, some .dll files etcetera.

Sorry I can't help you any more but I don't know which files they are...

Bitdefender support would do well to follow up closely on this, because I think it affects ALOT more users then us few...

regards

BlueBull

Thanks for your help, but I've tried this method, placing my files in the exclusion list in both the Antivirus tab and the Advanced Settings exclusion list. I've also added the program to the firewall exception list, and still it doesn't work.

What frustrates me is that I remember having this problem earlier in the year with the same game, and somehow BitDefender allowed it through. Yet now, it just won't let me start the game.

• conjo828
    edited May 2011
    Options

The support here doesent give a rats ###### about whats going on, its been like a month when support said there will be an update and will reply but since then, there is no answer. I would suggest you uninstall this as i did and wait for the update.

To BlueBull: I know i,ve tried the extension thing even before, at the beginning, it worked on single player but not on multiplayer, this only depends on how corrupted is your program. On some, somethings can work and some not. As for me the repair thing worked, not for others(it lasted for a week) . Besides you cant do anything with minecraft, i tried that also, you can add all files, even if u add all of them. Its just the software you cant get past that, as long as it works it blocks things.

Now the fact is, that this is a major problem, far by the most famous topic in this category, and still no fix, no reply. And it isnt blocking just minecraft or call of duty but various programs.

• Unknown
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hello,

I am unable to test all the games you mention without your help so please bear with me. I will need the following information:

- full game name and version (including the installation language);

- if any updates were made for the game (i.e. patches);

- BitDefender product and the product language;

- Operating System and PC architecture (32-bits ; 64-bits);

- your Internet connection type (i.e. you use a proxy or VPN to connect or regular connection);

- a screenshot of the error message (if applicable);

- the steps you take until the issue occurs;

- do you get any pop-up window from Real Time Protection module related to the game being blocked by BitDefender;

- does the issue occurs with AVC and IDS disabled;

- does the issue occurs even with the EXE files added as exception into AVC / IDS module under Antivirus >> Advanced Settings;

- are you available for a remote session;

I am truly sorry that I have to ask all these info from you and consume your free time however I do not have all the games installed nor purchased so, for some games, it may take a while until we find a way to troubleshoot.

When you have the info above, please send me a PM (Private Message) with the topic link and the requested info.

Thank you for your help and patience! Please note that some of the Game Mode issues were resolved and a fix was released for them so before posting please make sure you have BitDefender updated with the latest fixes by right click on its icon in the system tray and select 'Update Now' then restart the PC when the process is complete.

• conjo828
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Hello,

I am unable to test all the games you mention without your help so please bear with me. I will need the following information:

- your Internet connection type (i.e. you use a proxy or VPN to connect or regular connection);

- do you get any pop-up window from Real Time Protection module related to the game being blocked by BitDefender;

- does the issue occurs even with the EXE files added as exception into AVC / IDS module under Antivirus >> Advanced Settings;

I am truly sorry that I have to ask all these info from you and consume your free time however I do not have all the games installed nor purchased so, for some games, it may take a while until we find a way to troubleshoot.

When you have the info above, please send me a PM (Private Message) with the topic link and the requested info.

Thank you for your help and patience! Please note that some of the Game Mode issues were resolved and a fix was released for them so before posting please make sure you have BitDefender updated with the latest fixes by right click on its icon in the system tray and select 'Update Now' then restart the PC when the process is complete.

Well this can be done. I,ve send u pictures of what error message pops up already.

And as i understand the automatic update has been released, so i will take time tomorrow to reinstall and see if the problem occurs.

• Unknown
    edited May 2011
    Options

@Conjo: you sent the picture via email ? Please include the ticket ID whenever you send me a file so can I easily track the ticket. Thanks!

Also, to everyone who encounters issues with the Game Mode and not being able to start a certain game, please provide me with the mdsettings.xml file from C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\settings. you can upload the file HERE or HERE then send me via PM all the requested info and the download link.

NOTE: you do NOT have to reinstall BitDefender to update it !! Just right click on the red BitDefender icon in the system tray and select "Update Now".

• conjo828
    edited May 2011
    Options
    @Conjo: you sent the picture via email ? Please include the ticket ID whenever you send me a file so can I easily track the ticket. Thanks!

Also, to everyone who encounters issues with the Game Mode and not being able to start a certain game, please provide me with the mdsettings.xml file from C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\settings. you can upload the file HERE or HERE then send me via PM all the requested info and the download link.

NOTE: you do NOT have to reinstall BitDefender to update it !! Just right click on the red BitDefender icon in the system tray and select "Update Now".

No, i uploaded the files where u requested, and sent you the links within the Bitdefender mailing. I dont fully understand the Ticket ID system.

But i can assure you, it has nothing to do with the game updates nor the games, it happened when Bitdefender was updated.

And i uninstalled Bitdefender, so i have to reinstall it to see if the update worked.

• zincharn
    Options
    Hello,

- My game is Pandora Saga. It's a free to play MMORPG which can be downloaded. Since it's an MMORPG, the patches are automatically updated and so I always have the latest version.

- The version I play is available from Atlus Online at this url: Here

- I use Bitdefender Internet Security 2011

- Windows 7 32bit

- I'm unsure of my internet connection, but I can certainly say it's not proxy. I think it's a regular connection (connected to phone line etc)

- There are no error messages, simply the closure of the launcher and the lack of a the starting up of the game. The game starts up with no problems without Bitdefender.

- I haven't gotten any popups about the game being blocked, and even with the game and all of its files on the exceptions lists in the antivirus, firewall, etc, and even when the antivirus is turned off by disabling its protection in the preferences option, the game will not work unless Bitdefender is uninstalled or its process is not running.

- Since school has started again for me, I don't think I'll be available for a remote session, although I'm not in a rush to get this fixed.

Thanks

PS: I have read that one solution exists, for a player using Bitdefender Total Security, although it did not work for me.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello Zincharn,

Please try the steps below and let me know if the game starts normally:

1. Open the BitDefender Security Center, select "Options", then select the "Expert View".

2. Go to the "Update" module and click on "Settings";

3. Select the boxes next to "Prompt before downloading updates" from Confirm Update and Manual Update Settings;

4. Click on Apply;

5. Restart the computer in Safe Mode as explained below.

[How to restart in Safe Mode]

- Restart the computer (Windows Start button - Turn Off - Restart);

- Press the 'F8' key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press 'F8' until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select 'SAFE MODE' in the text menu and press 'Enter'.

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click 'OK' to acknowledge.

6. Browse to:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder.

7. Locate file "bdfm.sys"and rename it into "bdfm.sy_";

8. Restart the computer in Normal mode;

9. Once the product will want to Update, please make sure to select only the Virus Signature option and not the Product Update one, as that will replace the file you renamed in Safemode.

10. Check if the issue still occurs.

NOTE: If you are not seeing the file extensions please go to Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab -> uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known file types".

• demard02
    Options
    Any progress?

I'm sure there is another way to check, but if you go to the uninstall programs option in the control panel and locate Java, it will list as Java 6 update 24 (64) if you have the 64 bit version installed. It will not have the (64) if you have the normal 32 bit version installed. After I installed Java 64 bit, I then needed to add Java as an unblocked program in Bitdefender. Now minecraft works beutifully.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

@Ddemars: what files have you added as an exception associated with Java and to what lists have you added them to ? The exclusion under Antivirus -> Exclusion tab OR Antivirus -> Advanced Settings ?

Please send me the file mdsettings.XML from:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\settings

You can upload it HERE then send me the download link via PM.

• demard02
    Options

Hi DanyDan,

My bad, I looked and I have no exclusion in bitdefender for Java, or for anything else. I found what I actually did was in Windows Firewall, there is an exclusion tab that has Java listed.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

Ddemars: No worries, so the issue is now resolved ?

• Vaks
    Options

I too experienced the "Java could not create the virtual machine" when trying to launch Minecraft.

I used to be able to play it, but recently had to reinstall my computer because of a virus/trojan that BitDefender Internet Security 2011 was unable to detect until I ran a deep online scan using the symantec online scanner. Made me question the Bitdefender full/deep scan, but that's for another topic.

After reinstalling Windows 7 64bit Enterprise and installing Java using the link on java.com I started getting the "Java could not create the virtual machine" error.

I tried several different things. If I uninstalled Bitdefender it would work. However turning on game mode, turning off firewall and antivirus real time scanning, adding both java and minecraft to the advanced exception list... nothing of that worked. However since the game had worked with the same version of Bitdefender before I reinstalled the computer I suspected the error was not on BitDefenders end...

Uninstalling Java and reinstalling Java using several different links I found on forums for both 32bit and supposedly 64bit did not work either. However the link to 64-bit Java earlier in this post solved the issue for me.

Now I have no exceptions for any files, game mode does not need to be on and still everything works. Thank you DanyDan!

Now if you guys could only make it easier to get access to and download your own client... ;p

• Unknown
    Options

Glad to see the issue is now resolved Vaks. Feel free to contact us with any further queries you may have!

You can download all BitDefender products using the location below:

http://download.BitDefender.com

Best regards,

• BlueBull
    BlueBull
    edited July 2011
    Options

So now a couple of months later, the same error has returned <_< Modern Warfare 2 does not work once again... You seem to have released an update that once again blocks something essential for this game....

• Unknown
    Options

Hi,

BlueBull: the issue resurfaced ? Is the issue resolved if you disable AVC / IDS ?

• Minecraft and all other games does not work for me. It will just Minecraft before, but since I repaired it everything else failed.

I turn on Game Mode, add the games to exclusion, and thats about it nothing worked.

• rootkit
    Options

Hello

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Do you still need assistance on this issue?

Thank you.