Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Firewall Slowing Down Network Transfer Rate

Options

Hi,

I contacted support about this issue but have had no reply (very dissapointing for a new customer who just bought several licenses!).

With the firewall ON, transferring files to and from my server (shared drive) is very slow, at least half it's normal speed. I have tried altering every setting in the firewall options, but nothing seems to speed it up other than turning the firewall off.

I have added the server as a trusted zone, but it doesnt make any difference.

Is there a setting I am missing somewhere. Help would be greatly appreciated, as turning the firewall on and off is becoming quite tedious (and obviously is a security risk too).

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• che85mor
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Hi,

I contacted support about this issue but have had no reply (very dissapointing for a new customer who just bought several licenses!).

With the firewall ON, transferring files to and from my server (shared drive) is very slow, at least half it's normal speed. I have tried altering every setting in the firewall options, but nothing seems to speed it up other than turning the firewall off.

I have added the server as a trusted zone, but it doesnt make any difference.

Is there a setting I am missing somewhere. Help would be greatly appreciated, as turning the firewall on and off is becoming quite tedious (and obviously is a security risk too).

Thanks

Rich

I am having the same problem here. With the firewall on, I'm lucky if I get a transfer speed in the kbps. If I turn the firewall off, I get 1.2mbs and up. I've checked all the settings I know to check and nothing helps except turning the firewall off. I too am a new customer, less than 2 mos old. This is the 2nd problem I've had with Bitdefender and I'm getting fed up with the lack of support.

The other problem I'm having is I turn the parental controls on and set it up to block pron. Reboot so I know the settings take effect and without even so much as a hiccup I can hit any pron site on the web. However, irs.gov it gives me a warning. Figures the government is more dangerous than bangbus. :D

• Hi,

Tintisha_rich: I have sent you instructions via email on how to troubleshoot the issue you encounter. Your ticket ID is: 201102231010358.

Chester: I have also created a ticket for you with ID: 201102091003832 and sent you instructions via email. Please send me back the requested log files.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hi,

Tintisha_rich: I have sent you instructions via email on how to troubleshoot the issue you encounter. Your ticket ID is: 201102231010358.

Chester: I have also created a ticket for you with ID: 201102091003832 and sent you instructions via email. Please send me back the requested log files.

Hi,

Got the email, and have replied with the files that you requested. For other readers of this thread, this has not yet been solved, I received an email asking to send a screenshot of the firewall screen, and a file created by the support tool which is in your installation folder.

Ellie, please let me know if you received my response, your firewall is preventing me sending emails with large attachments from Thunderbird (!). Is there any way through the website that I can track my support tickets?

Thanks

Rich

• Hi Rich,

Please check your email associated with the ticket ID: 201102231010358 for instructions on how to reinstall the Firewall driver. Please confirm that the issue is resolved. If the issue persist please provide me with more details about how you came to the conclusion that the BitDefender firewall is slowing down your network transfer rate.

Regards,

• Psmeg
    Options

I'm getting exactly the same issue and it's getty pretty frustrating as I use multiple PC's to stream media around my network and since updating to 2011 this is now impossible as the data is being bottlenecked by BitDefender's Firewall.

I know I had the same issue a year or 2 back with an older product but can't remember how the issue was resolved.

Any help on getting this sorted would be GREATLY appreciated.

Paul C

• Hello Psmeg,

In order to further troubleshoot the issue you encounter with BitDefender firewall, we need you to follow the steps below and send us the requested files:

1. Please open "My Computer" and browse to the location below:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\Settings\Firewall\

2. Put in an archive the files(select the files, right click on any of them and select "Add to archive..." - WinRAR/WinZIP must be installed):

- profiles.xml

- rules.xml

- settings.xml

3. Next open BitDefender, click on Options and switch to Expert View, then go to the Firewall module -> Activity tab

4. Check the box to enable 'Increase log verbosity'

5. Having the Firewall enabled try to reproduce the connectivity issue you encounter.

6. Go to the following location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Firewall

7. Send us the file "bdfirewall.txt" by uploading all the files HERE

• Psmeg
    Options

Hi Daniel,

I've done as you requested and sent the files over to you via SendSpace.

Regards

Paul

• Psmeg
    Options

Any update on this situation?

It was 10 days since I uploaded the requested information and still no reply!

• Unknown
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Paul,

The reason why I haven't answer you so far is because I was expecting a PM (private message) from you with the download link. Have you sent the requested files directly via SendSpace / email ? What email address have you used ? Please send me a PM with the download links or with the email address you used on SendSpace to send the files so I can search any new/open tickets you have with Us.

Regards,

• Hi Paul,

I created a ticket with ID: 201104021001159 and sent you instructions via email on how to resolve the issue you are facing. Please let me know if the issue is resolved or still persist after you complete the enclosed steps.

Regards,

• Psmeg
    Options

Sadly, after spending the best part of 2 hours going through the processes recommended I'm in exactly the same situation as I was on previously with the addition of the frustration of the link available on your downloads page actually linking to the Antivirus application and NOT the Internet Security application.

So I also had the pleasure of installing the wrong app, having to go through completely uninstalling that to then have to dig around, re-download and re-install the correct software.

While I can now see the other PC on the network, if the firewall is enabled, I get a transfer speed of around 150kb instead of the 11-12Mb I should be getting.

This all worked perfectly until I installed the 2011 product, which seems to have taken me a step backwards and makes my media centre distribution useless.

My apologies if I sound annoyed, but this has been going on for nearly 2 weeks and I'm no closer to having a solution.

• Psmeg
    Options

Ignore my last post, I've figured it out myself now.

• Hi,

Can you provide more details please ?

Thank you.

• Hi DanyDan,

Looks like Psmeg isn't going to let us in on his secret. Even PM'd him, with no reply.

Unfortunately, it appears I'm having the same issues as mentioned above.

I recently bought a new laptop, replacing one which successfully transferred files over the network, using Vista Home premium.

On installing BD Total Security 2011, I recently attempted to transfer files from the desktop over the network (having completed all the BD Firewall settings as before ... see signature for some details). I'd set up the Network Zones, allowing the Desktop access, and router, as before. Unfortunately, the transfer rate on my 802.11n WiFi plodded along at a miserable 125 to 600Kbps instead of the previous 6 to 10Mbps!

Also, I noticed that opening the context right-click menu on an item in the explorer window, (viewing the network files), that the mouse cursor icon has the ''thinking'' logo spinning for a few seconds, before the menu manages to pop up, as though it's struggling to read information.

I spent the next two days playing about with..... downloading and installing updated Network adapter drivers (Atheros AR5B93), ....Playing about with the router settings (and putting them back again, as they'd worked perfectly well before), ... searching the web for possible causes of slow network on windows 7,.... and finally .... decided to turn the firewall off on the desktop!!!

Voila ... problem went away immediately. Transferred files at the above mentioned 6 to 10Mbps. Turned the firewall back on, mid transfer, and the rate dropped right back to 125 to 600Kbps,... then back up when I disabled the firewall. only conclusion I'm left with, is that the firewall on the desktop is at fault for some reason. Worked fine before.

One other thing, ... I've noticed that this issue has spontaneously resolved itself on a few occasions, quite some time after I've booted up the laptop, and been trying to upload files. speeds are fast, and the right click slow down isn't a problem either. Unfortunately, if I reboot the laptop, I'm back to square one with everything grinding almost to a halt, on transfer.

I've copied the firewall files as previously mentioned = profiles.xml, rules.xml, settings.xml, and zipped them up while the problem was showing itself. I'll send them when I get a reply from this, hopefully (and PM you when I do).

Hopefully hear from you, or someone soon.

Cheers.

• By the way, ... if it's any use, ... I use Teamviewer, so could arrange a remote session if needed.

• boothy99
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi, ...I'm back, ... with a smile on my face (for now!).

I may have resolved this problem.

I was reading the forums for Network issues, and came across someone (somewhere), who'd deleted the network Zone rules, then added them manually, after he'd also been having problems with the Network firewall.

I went into my Firewall settings on the desktop, and deleted the entries I'd added previously for the laptop IP addresses, underneath ''Local Area Connection''. If I remember correctly, I'd added them initially, using the pop-up list that appears, if you double click on the ''Local Area Connection'' name.

This time, I double clicked on the ''Local Area Connection'' name, then, ... instead of clicking on the appropriate IP address for the laptop, ..I manually added them into the Zone box, and clicked on ''Allow''. I then rebooted the Laptop, which would normally have restarted my slow file transfer problem.

This time, ... I managed to transfer a file immediately at around 15MB/second !!!!!!!!! There were no delays in the right click context menu opening: no apparent struggles in reading the folder in the first place .... just nice-'n-fast immediate file transfers.

Looks like manually adding them did the trick. Any ideas why clicking on the pop-up list instead, may have caused this issue?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is a resolved issue, ... and will re-post if it reoccurs.

:D

• boothy99
    edited April 2011
    Options

:wacko:

Spoke too soon !

Rebooted both machines, .... back to slow transfers, unless I disable Desktop Firewall.

Deleting Firewall Network Zones / devices, and inputting manually does nothing. I'd delete the last post if I could.

Holding my breath for any suggestions ............

• ncds
    Options

:wacko:

Spoke too soon !

Rebooted both machines, .... back to slow transfers, unless I disable Desktop Firewall.

Deleting Firewall Network Zones / devices, and inputting manually does nothing. I'd delete the last post if I could.

Holding my breath for any suggestions ............

I've got so disappointed with the sevice, I turned the firewall off and installed another firewall... so much better fixed my orginal problem and increased the speed greatly. For now I'll continue to use the AV only

• Just as a side note, .... whilst reading ''[resolved]Firewall Settings Are Not Kept After Reboot, Resolution'' - http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...=25221&st=0 ...... I thought I'd check to look at fwal.dll and fwal.pdb on my laptop, as the Network popup had just appeared when I booted it up, to ask what kind of Network i was on - Home or Public. I found fwal.dll, but couldn't find fwal.pdb !

Was this removed on the mentioned auto update.... or should it be there? I'll check my desktop for the file shortly.

• boothy99
    edited April 2011
    Options

No, ... couldn't find fwal.pdb in the appropriate folder on the desktop, either (hidden files / folders / protected operating folders, all on ''show'').

Hope this is normal since the mentioned update?

Not had a reply as yet. Is DanyDan on holiday? Anyone else up for a suggestion please?

Cheers.

• boothy99
    edited April 2011
    Options

Helloooooooooo,

Well, .... i T H I N K it's resolved, .... thanks to Psmeg. He just PM'd me with the following message (hope he won't mind me quoting a private message)...:

=========================================

''Hi Dave,

I'm not sure if you've got the problem sorted, but if not the only way I found to get my network to see other computers was to access the network adapter properties and uncheck the TCP/IPv6 option.

Then refresh your network (F5) and it should start showing other computers on the same network.

You may need to do this on all PC's connected to the network if they are also using BD.

I hope this helps.

Regards''

So, ... I unticked TCP/IPv6 in my network WiFi adapter preferences / rebooted .... and transfering immediately at 10 to 12Mbps !!! Normally, a re-boot caused the transfers to revert immediately to 100 to 600Kbps. Cheers Psmeg, for getting back to me.

I'd also like to thank DannyDan immensely, for all the time he took to clean out and try and sort my issue out. There were certainly one heck of a lot of left over files from previous installed programs that he rooted out, which I'd never have found. Thanks for all your time.

One other thing comes to mind in relation to the above TCP/IPv6 issue. I remember recently, seeing a reference to ''something'' on my laptop, for which I received a network connection message from, via a BD notification pop-up. I searched through the Firewall Activity list, and eventually found the thing mentioned there. There is a long alpha-numeric name, which I'll scramble slightly, in case there's anything ''personal'' in there (in my ignorance).:

FE80:0000:0000:0000:24XX:B1XX:40XX:9FXX (I've inserted the ''X''s) Anyone any idea what the heck it is / was ... as TCP/IPv6 was mentioned in reference to it in the Firewall information. It was the only thing that had a reference to TCP/IPv6, and it's not there now I've disabled TCP/IPv6. I'll update here if I decide to re-enable TCP/IPv6, and search for it again.

Cheers.

Will post back ..... again ..... if the transfer issue rears it's ugly head ....but I flippin' hope not !

• boothy99
    edited April 2011
    Options

Just done a Google on TCP/IPv6, ..... anything to do with Homegroup? I'd tried this on both machines using Windows 7 ... but disconnected from it, as it didn't fix the problem. Perhaps it's still active somehow? If this is the cause, then it might explain why I didn't have any problems with my recent Vista laptop (may it rest in peace, boo hoo), transfering files at high speed, on the same network ... as it didn't have Homegroups.

just a thought.

• boothy99
    edited April 2011
    Options

Yet another side note .... thanks to Mr Google.

Allegedly, TCP/IPv6 may be re-enabled on reboot, if you only untick the setting in the network adapter.

''Allegedly'', a Registry edit is required to force TCP/IPv6 to be fully disabled on Windows 7. I take NO responsibility for anyone searching the net for the details (look up.... DisabledComponents if you dare) ... but I've carried out this extra detail, at my own risk.... and yes, .... Homegroup is unable to be set up because of it. Oh, Boo blinkin' Hooo. My heart bleeds!

I'll shut up for now, and post back if there are any problems.

• boothy99
    edited April 2011
    Options

One last question before bed ...... any ideas why Bitdefender Firewall and TCP/IPv6 weren't playing well together? Perhaps an update might fix this, so I can put the PC back to where it was with TCP/IPv6 re-enabled, so it can do it's own thing.... whatever that is !

My transfers are stable and fast after numerous re-boot_s so far, since I disabled TCP/IPv6.

For now, .... I've disabled the Registry entry I mentioned earlier, .... and the TCP/IPv6 setting in my adapter preferences haven't reverted to their default ''on'' on their own. Perhaps folk should leave the registry editing altogether ... again, ..... wish I could delete recent posts, haha.

• On checking my PC this morning, .... everything is still fixed :)

Transmission rate as stated in my Router Wireless Status, shows I have a transmission rate of around 120Mbit/s ... laptop & router at opposite ends of our house. Maximum before this was around 40 at best, before TCP/IPv6 was disabled!

I'm also discovering optional networks that must be one heck of a distance away (in the network adapter connections view).

The network is positively steeeeaaaaming!

• Hi Dave,

What Registry entry you modified ? The long number you mentioned above is the Link-local IPv6 Address. A link-local address is an IP address that is intended only for communications within the local sub network.

Please open Windows Registry and locate the following entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\tcpip

then tell me the value of the START subkey. If the value is set to 1 then restart Windows in Safe mode and modify it to zero then restart the PC in normal mode and see if the issue persist.

- restart the computer;

- repeatedly press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load (you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu);

- select "SAFE MODE" in the text menu and press "Enter".

- wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click "Yes" to acknowledge.

Go to Start-> Run , type regedit and hit Enter. A new window nameed Registry editor should open. In the left part of the window please browse to the location below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\tcpip

Please select it by double clicking on the registry entry. In the right part of the window you should see an entry named Start, please double click on it select the value data field, delete the number located in the field and type in the new value: 0. Hit the OK button then restart the PC in normal mode.

Regards,

• boothy99
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Danny,

I'd got to the key, before reading the rest of your instructions, hehe :)

Thanks for info on the long number. In answer to your first query....

The key I modified was

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SYSTEM >> CurrentControlSet >> Services >> Tcpip6 >> Parameters

In the right window, I made a right click, then selected New >> DWORD (32-bit) Value, and renamed it DisabledComponents, double-clicked on it, then gave it a value of ff Hexadecimal.

After I altered the registry key, I actually reset it, (changed the value from ff to 0, rather than deleting it just yet), to check whether the Network adapter had reset the option to use IPv6 (after I'd removed the tick in the properties) when I'd rebooted.

It hadn't, .... so there was no need for the registry edit after all. Only thing I've changed is the Network adapter property, by un-ticking IPv6.

The value of the START subkey is indeed zero.

I'll PM you with the web page I read up on it (amongst many others) that I checked this suggestion for disabling IPv6.

Thanks for getting back to me. Weird isn't it?

Anyone else reading this, with slow transfer rates, tried temporarily un-ticking the IPv6 in Network adapter properties / rebooting, and seeing if there's any improvement in file transfer rate?

Love to hear from someone else, as I see there's been quite a few reading this topic.

Byeeee for now,

:)

• boothy99
    Options

Hi DannyDan,

Any thoughts on this apparent IPv6 / Firewall conflict?

I've performed a search on the forums for IPv6, and it appears there's been quite a bit mentioned on the issue since 2010 (some in French, for which I've Google-translated).

I'll try some of the advice mentioned for tweaking Bitdefender, whilst leaving IPv6 enabled, and see if it resolves the problem. One set of suggestions, here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...477&hl=IPv6

Will get back here if it does.

Any other advice though?

Cheers.

• boothy99
    edited May 2011
    Options

Disclaimer ....

Anything I say in this reply, may not be permanent, haha.

End of disclaimer.

This is blinking weird...

I followed the instructions in the above named topic, ... with IPv6 enabled on both Network adapters (Desktop, connected directly to DIR-655 router via LAN cable & contains the files I've been trying to transfer / Laptop, on WiFi - Draft-N)....

..... I rebooted both, and set the BD Firewall from Home/office, to Trusted - Stealth off - generic yes; Enabled Internet Connection Sharing; unchecked "Block Port scans" ;

In Network zones, .... I added the router IP address, the ''other'' PC address, and discovered and added what appears to be the enabled IPv6 long network address FExx:00xx:00xx:00xx:24xx:B1xx:40xx:9Fxx ((edited actual name)).

I then rebooted, and tried a file transfer, ..... and FOR NOW, .... files are transfering fast at around 5Mbps (even with WiFi signal strength being only ''good'').

I re-enabled "Block Port scans" ..... still good transfer speed.

So, ..... what the heck went on?..... did I wake something up that'd gone to sleep? .... did I get something on either Windows 7 or BD to recognise something on the Network that they didn't see before, .... or is this only temporary.. 'till the next re-boot or two occurs ..... I dunno.

But, .... is anyone else having the issue of slow transfer rates, .... or is / was it just me????

Love to hear someone else's experiences.

• boothy99
    edited May 2011
    Options

I'm claiming on my Disclaimer !!!

..... Send out the van with the men in the white coats !!! ... I'm being driven MAD!!

Back to square one already, after just one re-boot on the laptop. Transfers only at 300kbps again.

I give up for now. Just disabled IPv6 on the laptop for the last ruddy time ... unless anyone has any bright idea's... or either Windows does an auto-update and it gets fixed... or BD has a fix. Getting tempted to uninstall and re-install BD on my laptop (Desktop was given a fresh, clean re-install when we had a BD remote session).

I'm truly fed-up :wacko:

• Unknown
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Dave,

Considering the fact that the Internet protocol you disable (IPv6) is not used by any ISP Companies nor the regular software you can safety keep it disabled until the fix for the issue will be resolved.

The issue is resolved when you have the IPv6 disabled, is that correct ? Please confirm via PM.

I will need fresh logs to be generated on the PC encountering the issue. I have sent you instructions via email on how to generate them.

Thanks and looking forward to your answer!

Kind regards,

• boothy99
    Options

Yes, ... only have a problem with IPv6 enabled on the laptop (the receiving pc, for files off of the desktop).... unless I disable the firewall on the desktop = (temporarily).

I've PM'd you just, Danny, thanks.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi :)

As the new Bitdefender 2013 product suite was released, we would like to inform you that you benefit from a FREE upgrade to the latest version.

Apart from the fact that the 2013 suite brings lots of new features and improvements, it will most likely solve any issues that you may have encountered with your previous Bitdefender product.

Please check out this announcement:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=241&id=42

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.