[resolved] Vsserv Again

Vsserv.exe hogging +80% of CPU. This appears to be a common problem. It was my understanding that this problem had been corrected from BD2009, but apparently it has not been.

Computer with problem: operating system is XP (professional), updated automatically through MS so it is current through SP3 and everything else they put out in terms of security updates, etc. Last MS update on April 15, 2011 with MS's rather large update on that date. The computer is not used for games: it is a work computer and runs MS Office 2007 with internet access through browser IExplorer 7.

This computer ran BD2009 AV until its license was close to expiring so I updated it to BD2011 Internet AV (the 3-machine license). BD 2009 AV had the same problem on XP and the patch that was suggested for BD2009 was successfully implemented during 2010. This patch involved turning off automatic BD signature update and one or two other things: I don't recall at the moment. Regardless, the patch worked for BD2009 on this computer.

(As an aside: BD2011 was successfully implemented on my Vista machine with no problems and I am typing this post in from the Vista machine.)

The installation of BD2011 Internet AV on the XP machine was done exactly per BD instructions on April 16 (yesterday). All antivirus software (i.e. BD 2009) was removed via Uninstall prior to downloading BD2011. Then the BD installer was downloaded via internet and BD2011 Internet AV was installed via the internet (i.e. the most current version). During installation, the installer wizard automatically performed a system-scan and found zero conflicts.

Immediately upon rebooting the XP machine with BD2011, it performed slowly and the "low system memory" alert came up. This machine is now virtually useless due to extreeeeeeeeemly slow operation. This is exactly the same problem that this machine experienced running BD2009 before the BD2009 patch was implemented.

I need one of two things to happen quickly: either solve this problem or refund my money. This problem was supposed to have been solved by now. It hasn't been.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi duluthian,

In order to improve the speed of your PC, I recommend you to set BitDefender on the 'Default' protection level: open BitDefender,

go to 'Antivirus' -> 'Shield' and drag the slider for the Protection Level to the 'Default' position. Restart your system and check its performance. In case it is still slowly, I need you to give me more details about your general hardware specs (CPU, RAM, System Type...). You can see this information if you right click on the MyComputer icon present on your desktop and choose Properties.

Thank you!

• Thank you for the quick reply. The earliest I'll be able to do the test will be this coming Wednesday late afternoon. I'll try to send out another reply with results later that evening. Should the problem require additional discussion beyond that, it will have to wait until Tuesday next week due to travel out of town.

If your suggested solution doesn't work, I'll include computer specs with my reply.

TIA

• Hi duluthian,

In order to improve the speed of your PC, I recommend you to set BitDefender on the 'Default' protection level: open BitDefender,

go to 'Antivirus' -> 'Shield' and drag the slider for the Protection Level to the 'Default' position. Restart your system and check its performance. In case it is still slowly, I need you to give me more details about your general hardware specs (CPU, RAM, System Type...). You can see this information if you right click on the MyComputer icon present on your desktop and choose Properties.

Thank you!

Hello Mihaela - sad to say the suggested fix did not work. When I brought up "Antivirus -> /shield, it was already set to default.

I checked Task Manager and vsserv.exe is requiring 430 MB of virtual memory. Since disk access is slow on this computer, it is surely much of the problem experienced in the slowdown.

Here are the machine specs from My Computer Properties:

System:

MS Windows XP Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

Computer:

Intel Pentium II

348 MHz 512 MB RAM

Hope you can find a solution to this. As I mentioned in my initial post, this problem occured with BD2009. There was a patch successfully implemented during 2010. I don't recall all the details, but part of it required turning off automatic update of BD's viral signature and updating manually. After the patch was installed in BD2009, the computer worked just fine.

I will be away from internet access during the next five days. I will check for replies when I can.

Thanks for your help.

• Unknown
    edited April 2011

Hi Duluthian,

I have read the entire topic and allow me to refresh the system requirements for the BitDefender 2009 products: the process you are using is not meeting the minimum system requirements:

For Windows XP

800 MHz or higher processor

Considering the above, all I can advise you in order to reduce the slowdown would be to install a 2008 BitDefender product and also to turn off some of the settings that you do not need.

You can find the System requirements for the BitDefender Antivirus 2009 HERE

In the spirit of Easter and to cheer things up a little, If I were you, I would speak with the Easter Bunny and have him get me a new PC :) Hope you won't get offended, it's just a joke but seriously, you should change that PC.

Best regards and a Happy Easter !

• Had I known that I could renew the license on the existing software without upgrading to the new version, I would have done that and saved a great deal of bother.

Can you explain how one goes about doing that?

• Vsserv.exe is using more than 60% of my CPU. I am using Windows XP

please provide me solution

• Hi,

@duluthian: Note that we can downgrade your key to BitDefender 2008. Just let me know if you agree with this and I will send you all the steps, included the new key you need to install the product.

@amit2011: Could you follow my recommendations for duluthian ? Here you have them.

Thank you!