Daily Updates Reset Options. Please Fix.

chiguy
edited April 2011 in Update

New user of Bit Defender Pro antivirus 2011. My computers are vista and xp, both current with service packs and windows updates. I did a new install of BD on each and for the past few days have experienced the same things on both computers. It seems that whenever there's an update to BD, the options are reset.

For instance, yesterday I had every single option unchecked under Antivirus > Antiphishing and Search Advisor. Today after the computer booted and the AV udpated (I presume), every single one of those boxes were checked again, and the phishing stuff was again enabled in my browsers.

Also, under the Virus Scan tab, the "performance optimization" box to perform a deep scan when my computer is idle for 30minutes was Checked, when I had all that stuff turned off before.

I was antivirus ONLY. On access and on demand...that's it. I don't want or need antiphishing or scans running on their own, or search advisors, etc. I want antivirus and not all this other stuff that keeps turning itself on lol.

edit: Also, Privacy Control and Identity control were both disabled before, and are both enabled now after the update. I didn't even install those modules during the original setup, why are they showing up and turning on now?

edit2: lol, it seems *every* option is installed, turned on, and enabled. Chat Encryption is checked and running. Every new tab I look at which was disabled/not even installed before, is now enabled and running.

So, how can we fix this? Please advise. Get it together with updates guys. This is not a good design. If I have something off, it needs to stay off. I can't check my AV settings throughout the 30+ menus/screens you have, every day, just to make sure my settings are what I want.

Comments

• chiguy
    edited April 2011
    New user of Bit Defender Pro antivirus 2011. My computers are vista and xp, both current with service packs and windows updates. I did a new install of BD on each and for the past few days have experienced the same things on both computers. It seems that whenever there's an update to BD, the options are reset.

For instance, yesterday I had every single option unchecked under Antivirus > Antiphishing and Search Advisor. Today after the computer booted and the AV udpated (I presume), every single one of those boxes were checked again, and the phishing stuff was again enabled in my browsers.

Also, under the Virus Scan tab, the "performance optimization" box to perform a deep scan when my computer is idle for 30minutes was Checked, when I had all that stuff turned off before.

I was antivirus ONLY. On access and on demand...that's it. I don't want or need antiphishing or scans running on their own, or search advisors, etc. I want antivirus and not all this other stuff that keeps turning itself on lol.

edit: Also, Privacy Control and Identity control were both disabled before, and are both enabled now after the update. I didn't even install those modules during the original setup, why are they showing up and turning on now?

edit2: lol, it seems *every* option is installed, turned on, and enabled. Chat Encryption is checked and running. Every new tab I look at which was disabled/not even installed before, is now enabled and running.

So, how can we fix this? Please advise. Get it together with updates guys. This is not a good design. If I have something off, it needs to stay off. I can't check my AV settings throughout the 30+ menus/screens you have, every day, just to make sure my settings are what I want.

guess i cant edit anymore for some reason, so here's a reply with more information. under Preferences, "send virus reports" and "outbreak detection" were both set to ON, when I have specifically set them to OFF previously. I'll keep updating this thread with any more information I can come up with.

lol this program isnt designed very well in this department i think. try this. under my antivirus Custom Level i have IM scanning unchecked. click OK button to save. the summary confirms the setting. Now go to Options > Preferences and DONT TOUCH ANY settings, just click through the different tabs to observe what you have set. Close it (dont make any changes remember) and look back at the summary for antivirus - now it tells me that it is scanning IM traffic. I hit custom level button and yep, the boxes are checked.

So, what is going on here? Before you tell me to uninstall/reinstall/whatever, please be advised that i had these issues running a week or two ago when i was doing the trial, then i bought the 3pc license. when i got the CD, i uninstalled the trial, rebooted, then ran the uninstall tool (downloaded from the bitdefender support site) and rebooted again. then I installed from the cd and went from there.

please, get this fixed.

• another thing I just noticed.

i have it set to update every 24 hours. (default was every 1 hour...why is that so frequent?)

anyway, it updated this morning just after 10am, and then the computer was powered off for 7 or 8 hours. i just looked and it updated again at just after 7pm. so, why is it updating even when i tell it to only update once per 24 hours?

like, when the computer turns on, if it's been 24 hours already, check for an update, and update if there's one available. if it hasn't been 24 hours yet, do nothing. simple as that. and also, defaulting to update every 1 hour seems like massive overkill. i'd possibly think of changing that default in the future.

• another buggy thing about the program is that the Statistics shows nothing except "Last Scan" - every other category is 0. it is like this on both my windows XP 32bit computer and my windows vista 64bit computer.

• Just got another update today, 4/21. Here's what's changed:

Options > Preferences: Identity control is turned back on.

General > Settings: Show BitDefender News is checked (was unchecked before).

Seriously, what do I have to do with this software to make it save my settings day to day? I really hate having to go into it every_single_day just to make sure my settings are where I want them.

The reason I checked it today was because the BitDefender addon in firefox was enabled again (I'm not sure when it was enabled). I've had it disabled and even uninstalled since I installed BD.

Someone please help. This PC I'm on right now is Vista 64bit service pack 2, and I'm logged in as the real Administrator with UAC completely disabled. Thanks.

• the update today, 4/22, turned Identity Control back on.

when i installed the product, i was asked which modules or whatever to install. the ones i enabled were: antivirus, product notification alerts, automatic updates, and bitdefender news.

• I really love this antivirus and would like to continue using it but the updates changing my options has me worried. I really dont' want to have to check it every day. The latest update though, 4/23/2011 @ 4:25pm did not change any of my settings (that I'm aware of). Anyone care to comment? Has anyone else checked their settings to see if they're set the way they were when you installed?

• And today's update checked the box: Scan incoming email. It didn't check the outgoing email box, just the incoming. Lol. this is such a strange program.

• Hi chiguy,

Sorry for the delay. I have created a ticket on your behalf and sent you instructions via email on how to start troubleshooting. Please check your email associated with your Forum account and send me the requested info. Your ticket ID is 201104271012104.

Thank you!

• Thanks. I have just responded to the email with the requested information.

Just as a note, after today's automatic update, there were at least 3 options in the software that turned on by themselves, which I had disabled (unchecked) before. They are: chat encryption, scan yahoo messenger traffic, and scan windows live messenger traffic.

• Mihaela M.
    edited May 2011

Hi chiguy,

I answered you via email. Please check your inbox.

Thank you!

• went a few days with the options staying the same as i set them, but today the "scan incoming email" option was checked after an update. kinda funny too, since it checked that one, but not anything else like outgoing email or IM traffic :P

would really be nice to have a "lock" option for settings, so that nothing could change them, not even the program itself.

would also be nice to have a right-click "completely disable" option on the bitdefender icon in the taskbar, for use when installing trusted programs and such.

• booted up the laptop earlier this evening and the software updated

"last update: 5/30/2011 7:23:31 PM"

and the following settings were changed:

General > Settings > Virus Report Settings

were both enabled. they were disabled previously.

:|

• When a file associated with a certain option will be updated (for example a XML file that stores settings) those settings in the BitDefender GUI may be re-enabled if that is also the default state at first installation.

I will monitor two PCs setup to try to reproduce this issue. Please keep me posted if you have any further details that will help us better understand the issue.

Best regards,

• Thanks for the feedback. Just came here now to report another change. I have IDS enabled normally. After some update, since my previous post (I just checked all the settings again today), I found that IDS was disabled. From expert view, on the left, click Antivirus, then Advanced Settings, and IDS tab. The box was unchecked.

I really want to use this antivirus since I've already paid for 2 years of it (before noticing this "options resetting" problem), but every time I check the settings, they are changed from how I set them. Thinking of just going back to the free microsoft av, that missed a virus on me a few months ago :'( but that keeps its settings every update, and even through upgrades.

BD, please get this fixed! :P

• Hello,

First and foremost be kindly informed that the IDS feature is not associated with the Real Time Protection module of BitDefender. The IDS is a feature that scan for suspicious behavior for running programs. Furthermore, you are posting in the wrong category since IDS is part of the Antivirus module and not part of the Update one.

every time I check the settings, they are changed from how I set them

- what settings are you changing exactly ? Just IDS ?

Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hi, I disagree that this is posted in the wrong forum, as the Updates are what are causing the changing options.

No, read the entire thread - I am not specifically posting in reference to IDS options. Many different options in all areas of the program are changing when updates occur. Sometimes the IDS changes, sometimes the Antivirus options change, sometimes chat encryption options are enabled, sometimes even the Quarantine upload to BD options are changing.

I have already submitted a log file via email to Mihaela M. (see post above for case #) as well.

I should also mention that this behavior has happened across 2 different computers, on 3 platforms. Vista64, Win7x32 and WinXPx32.

• Hi,

The updates will perform as following:

- 5 minutes from PC startup >>> will check for signatures updates;

- 15 minutes from PC startup >>> will check for product updates;

- 30 minutes from PC startup >>> will check for both signatures + product updates;

This happens regardless of the time set to update in the BitDefender interface (in your case every 24 hours) and it is set this way for your own protection, to be certain that you have the latest signatures and product updates installed.

Try to repair BitDefender and let me know if the issue persist.

- Click on the START menu button

- Go to All Programs -> BitDefender 2011 -> Repair or Remove

- Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the computer each time you are requested to.

- Test to see if the issue still replicates.

I can not reproduce the reset settings for all the settings you mentioned. After what update this occurs ? After each and every BitDefender update regardless if it will update just signatures ?

Kind regards,

• Hi. In your test setup, the behavior might not happen for a few days, but I'm sure it will happen. I have had it happen on two different computers under 3 separate operating systems now, and it happens on each.

When I first noticed this, it was happening every day - some random settings would change themselves. Then it became more infrequent. Going through this thread, you can see the dates when I posted the problems. For instance, you can see the settings changed on April 19, 21, 22, 24, 26, 28, and so on. Then May 19, then 31, then June 4.

I have done the repair as well, but it didn't help. I have run the remover tool many times and have reinstalled fresh many times. I have installed from the CD and downloaded the installation files from the web. Every time it gives the same result. I set my options and anywhere from a day or two on, the options I set randomly change. If you can keep your test setup running for a few weeks, I'm certain you will see that the options will change on there, too :)

• Hi,

I would like to take a closer look on the settings you have within BitDefender. You can find below the tool to export/import the XML configuration files of BitDefender.

The file you need to run is: SaveSettings.exe

- you need to choose the Output Directory where the files to be saved for later use;

- choose the type of files you wish to save (I would recommend saving all three types of files);

- do NOT save User Configuration but for current User (it can't save the settings for all users and not recommended to);

You can download the tool from the link below:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nal7rj

Use the tool and export the settings. Create an archive with all the XML files and upload it to sendspace or any other file hosting server then send me a PM with the download link. Also I would like you to create a fresh new BitDefender Support Tool log as explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

Looking forward to your answer!