[resolved]Dragon Age: Origins Crashes After Renewing License.

Drason
Drason ✭✭

For about the last couple of weeks Bitdefender was in expired mode. In the mean time I installed Dragon Age: Origins from Steam and the game ran flawlessly. Now, after renewing my Bitdefender license, Dragon Age crashes after about 10 to 15 minutes of playing time. While in expired mode, Bitdefender continued switching in and out of Game Mode automatically when I played Dragon Age. That doesn't make sense though because the game isn't listed in the managed games section anywhere and it wasn't there before I renewed my Bitdefender license because I installed Dragon Age after Bitdefender expired.

What Bitdefender features run in expired or unregistered mode? In a search, I found a couple of posts that said disabling AVS and IDS were the solutions for a 2010 version. I don't remember which exact product. I have the Total Security 2011 version btw. I don't like having to turn of AVS and IDS. Isn't there another option?

Also, I was loving this game before I renewed Bitdfender. Now with the crashes, it's mostly unplayable. :(

Can someone please help?

Thanks ahead of time.

Comments

• Hello,

Since you do not wish to disable AVC and IDS then the only solution to be able to access the game is to add its executable file as an exception into BitDefender Antivirus >>> Advanced Settings >>> Exceptions.

Please let me know if the steps above fix the issue you encounter.

Regards,

• Drason
    Drason ✭✭
    Hello,

Since you do not wish to disable AVC and IDS then the only solution to be able to access the game is to add its executable file as an exception into BitDefender Antivirus >>> Advanced Settings >>> Exceptions.

Please let me know if the steps above fix the issue you encounter.

Regards,

I've disabled both the AVC and IDS and the game still crashes. I've also tried adding the game to the Exclusions section and the game still crashes.

I finally decided to try disabling Bitdefender altogether by Disabling the Shield's Realtime protection and would re-enable it later but when I click the checkbox and select any time including 'permanently' the checkbox stays checked. What's going on?

• Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Drason
    Drason ✭✭
    Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

I found The solution and can play DAO with AVS and IDS enabled too.

In the Custom level settings, Uncheck 'Scan accessed files' and the game runs fine. The only DAO file I have in the Exclusions section is the daupdatersvc.service.exe file. Excluding it stops the DAO login prompt from appearing everytime, whether I'm logged in or not. To stay logged in I have the service itself set to 'Automatic...delayed startup'.

I have to re-uncheck the 'Scan accessed files' checkbox everytime after rebooting my computer though. That seems to be the only setting Bitdefender won't save. I also have to login to the game again but only once until I reboot the computer again or a DAO server, internet issue.

Thanks for trying to help. :)

• Unknown
    edited June 2011

Hello,

I have not received any logs from you, as requested in my previous post. I have created a ticket on your behalf and sent you instructions via email on how to further investigate this matter.

Ticket ID: 201106061011742.

Regards,

• Drason
    Drason ✭✭
    Hello,

I have not received any logs from you, as requested in my previous post. I have created a ticket on your behalf and sent you instructions via email on how to further investigate this matter.

Ticket ID: 201106061011742.

Regards,

Well I thought I had found the solution to my problem but I haven't. So, I've been troubleshooting further.

As for my issue with Bitdefender, I did a repair on it and it seems to be working find now. The AV settings are kept now after rebooting.

I'm about to uninstall Bitdefender completely to verify that it is/isn't causing DAO to stop working. To go into further detail about the issue, the event viewer shows a C000005 error for the game's exe.

For DAO, I've set the exe properties to run in compatibility mode for XP SP2 and run as Administrator. Using a shortcut to it, I run it as Administrator via context menu. For what it's worth, I also checked the hard drive for errors (found none) and defragged it since it was 17% fragmented and DAO still stopped working.

I'll go ahead and run the support tool, even though I'm about to temporarilty uninstall it.

Also, I don't recall getting the email.

I tried running the Support Tool. After entering the info, I let it run for 20 minutes and there was no progress via the progress bar, after which I cancelled it.

• Drason
    Drason ✭✭
    edited June 2011

After uninstalling Bitdefender, DAO still CTD. I uninstalled/reinstalled DAO and it still CTD. I finally pulled up Task Manager->Performance and ran DAO. there were 1 to 5 bytes of free memory. Cached and Available were showing about the same at 1.1 GB each.

From this it would seem I need more memory. I guess Windows 7 64 uses more memory than I thought. Well, it, what other stuff I have running, and DAO. I thought 4 GB was enough. I can try lowering DAO video settings or save up for 4 GB more and play something else in the mean time. :( Oh well. At least I know what the problem is now.

btw, the CTD were always during heavy battle in DAO.

For those curious, DAO video settings are: Textures - High, AA - off, Vsynch - off, Res - 1024 x 768.

My system specs:

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5

AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8 Ghz

4 GB DDR3 1600 Gskill RAM Black

• Hello,

What video card are you using ? What driver version ? Try to make an update for the video driver and see if the issue still occurs.

I would also recommend you to check the game recommended requirements and lower the video settings. That may resolve the issue.

If you have any further queries feel free to contact us anytime!

Case resolved.

Best regards,